Overland XJ Build. Not my first Rodeo.....(video included)

jswift716

Adventurer
Thanks jswift716. I guess I'll track down a set of late model fender flares and see if I can make them work. I just found something here that indicates it might.
You could always cut and fold that part of the quarter too. I have greasable shackles and bolts because I live in the rust belt, it makes everything easier for me to get to back there just my .02,

Overland History

Wanderluster
I'm not ignoring your questions fella's, I'll have them all answered by tomorrow evening! ;)

It was an insanely busy week at work, so I decided to do a little Overland trip of my own on Saturday/Sunday to get away from the stress!

I judged a Jeep Contest at Southern Dodge Jeep by the Norfolk Airport for my local club Tidewater Fourwheelers on Saturday. Our local Rock station FM99 is holding a "Rock Girl" competition, so they showed up and wanted pictures with a couple of the girls in the RTT. Well, I've never told a pretty girl no, except for my Ex-wife. ;)

image.jpg

I didn't get any pics of the beautiful jeeps there, as I was busy judging, so I'll post some up when I find them from the event! :)

After the event was over, I B-lined it west toward the mountains. :D

image.jpg

It took me 3hrs to get out of the "Hampton Roads" area, which includes the 7 cities in the area, due to traffic. Unfortunately, for a Military and Vacation destination, which is what I live in the middle of, traffic is a constant nightmare! :(

Since it took me so long to get out of the area, I literally had to haul *** to get up to "Reddish Knob", which is on the Virginia/West Virginia state line. Once I got off of Route I-81 North, and snaked through a couple of back roads, I literally set State Fire Road 85 on fire trying to get up to the top of "Reddish Knob" in time to get a good sunset picture.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I have a bunch more pics, but I'm tired, so those will wait til tomorrow. ;)

Overland History

Wanderluster
Continuing on, after watching the sunset on Reddish Knob, I made my way over to Flagpole Knob to make camp.

I got up to watch the sunrise and got a couple of good shots....

image.jpg

image.jpg

The only other people camping on Flagpole Knob were two young couples from NC in an XJ....

image.jpg

My view once it got a bit more light.....

image.jpg

Once the two young couples in the XJ left, it was time for a shower! Well, the system performed perfectly! :D

image.jpg

I decided to head over to Meadow Knob, which is just a few miles away from Flagpole Knob, since I had never been there before.

There's a lot more flatter and larger area on Meadow Knob than there is on Flagpole Knob....

image.jpg

A few more shots....

image.jpg

This was my fav of the trip....

image.jpg

Since it was getting late in the afternoon, I decided to head back home and snapped these on the way back....

image.jpg

image.jpg

Overland History

Wanderluster
I do need to make an amendment to the On-Board Hot Water Shower project.

Before I left to go camping, the 1/2in to 5/8in barbed adapter for my coolant lines that plumb into the heat exchanger, ended up breaking. It appears they're just too thin of a plastic to be able to handle constant coolant flow with hose clamps on them.

image.jpg

To remedy this, I picked up some brass 1/2in to 5/8in barbed adapters at Lowe's to replace both of the plastic ones. These didn't give me one bit of trouble driving 500 miles round trip to go camping...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

One ***VERY*** important aspect that I learned during the trip about the On-Board Camp Shower is that pressure will build in the hot water line that exits the Heat Exchanger and plugs into the back of the Shower Box after using the shower. The residual water that's left over in the Exchanger and the line can start to boil while driving without water circulating through the exchanger. Since the system doesn't have a pressure relief valve of some kind built in, I'll have to always remember to leave both of the water knobs cracked open and the shower head turned on(without the pump running), so that pressure doesn't build in the lines. Luckily I thought of this before having a catastrophic failure due to pressure build-up. The water simply drained itself out of the lines and ran out of the shower box. :)

Overland History

Wanderluster
Such a great project! I've really enjoyed the reading. Thanks for taking the time to write it all up so succinctly.

I have a couple questions for you:

Do you worry at all about reducing the coolant hose diameter from 5/8" to 1/2"? I can't say I understand enough about coolant systems to know if this would make a discernible difference in engine temps, but I would imagine that creates a significant reduction in flow volume.

Where did you get your fender flares? I removed my plastic, rear bumper ends and now my OEM flare stops at the body line, where it used to meet the top of the rear bumper cap. I see that your rear flare continues down to the bottom of the body panel and looks more intentional by comparison.

Here's my rear flare stopping too high:
View attachment 362730

versus yours which continues all the way down:
View attachment 362731

As mentioned before, my flares are stock. :)

When it comes to reducing the coolant lines from 5/8in to 1/2in, it's such a small difference in size, that I highly doubt it will matter. The lines that I plugged in the Heat Exchanger don't effect Engine Cooling anyways. They're for running coolant into the heater core that's inside the firewall, which gives you heat into the cabin. Will it effect the amount of hot air in the cabin? Again, highly doubtful, as it's such a small difference in hose size. Besides, my heater gets hot enough already to cook a chicken in the cabin! ;)

Overland History

Wanderluster
Just read through the whole thread. Nice work. Lots of good ideas to steal :)

I've really enjoyed reading yours also! You've got a ton of very creative work into your XJ also!

Steal away! I really like seeing something of mine that started as a vision in my head, made to work in reality, and then enjoyed by others as well! :)

TeeDub81

Hey whats up man! Been digging thru your thread, nice work. I met you at the FM99 show, I'm the guy who had the other XJ and is going to steal your camp shower idea in the future. nice rig! -Tony

Attachments

• IMG_0371.jpg
    IMG_0371.jpg
    411.2 KB · Views: 47

Overland History

Wanderluster
How is that rear bumper holding up? I'm trying to piece somthing together my self, I have a decent scrap pile and alot of time on my hands

The rear bumper was actually built by a buddy of mine back sometime around '99, and used to carry a 36" spare tire. There wasn't one body panel on that XJ that wasn't bashed to hell!

With that said, it's getting some work cosmetically pretty soon. If I have time, possibly before Overland Expo East. ;)

Overland History

Wanderluster
Really dig the build. Good stuff!

Thank you! I'm enjoying your new thread thus far. It looks like you understand the "sweet spot" that XJ's have, which is when they're around 3" on 31's. I don't think many people realize how capable a Locked XJ is with this setup, while still able to retain decent gas mileage! I get 16.5mpg around town and 19mpg on the Highway with my 4.10 gears and 31's. ;)

Overland History

Wanderluster
Hey whats up man! Been digging thru your thread, nice work. I met you at the FM99 show, I'm the guy who had the other XJ and is going to steal your camp shower idea in the future. nice rig! -Tony

Hey Tony, it was great meeting you at the event! I'm glad you're enjoying the thread and the ideas. Your XJ is extremely well built and I had a very hard time not choosing it as a winner while judging the event(I'm an XJ guy, so it's hard not to be biased). I really like the dual battery setup and rear hatch LED's!

Shoot me a message with your number, let's meet up and grab a beer!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner