Overlanding Tires

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
If you're worried about weak sidewalls, best not buy Duracraps. They are shredding sidewalls like they're made of papier mâché around here!

I know a few people with the exact same experience here. Brand new tires, one friend went through 3 tires all due to sidewall splits on his Toyota LC (big/heavy) and the last one they wouldn't warranty. He sold them with about 10,000 KM on them at a loss. He moved to the Cooper STT Maxx and said they are hands down one of the best tires he has used ever.

Hancook DynaPro MT, Federal Couragia M/T

I run the Hankook Dynapro MT (RT03) and they are a very good tire. Their AT's are very nice as well and will find their way on to my Jeep WK this coming summer after the lift goes in.

The single most important thing I think is to look at what you are driving on most of the time and what is working for others in the area you are heading to. For overlanding, an MT is likely as not overkill, what you probably want is...

1. Durability
2. All condition traction (good in everything not great at everything...no such tire)
3. Availability
4. Legality (do they have the mountain snow flake logo/do you need it)

Personally, I would say it is a tough choice, hence the 45 threads a month on this topic on all the boards I am on. I am wary of the BFG's for a few reasons, mostly the sidewall issues. I drive on a lot of FSR and logging roads and it is all blast rock, sharp and nasty. I hear a lot of bad stories locally of BFG failures, but still a ton of them out there, so they are either good or really cheap? I also am not a fan of the BFG AT as they chuck a TON of rocks and I tow trailers. My MT's never do. I have also heard a lot of complaints about the Duratrack's for sidewall issues and premature wear...no personal experience however?

Very tough call. Might come down to availability and price for most.

WrenchMonkey

Mechanical Animal
No availability must be location specific or you got them right when there was a back order. The km2s are very easy to find in the west, any of the major tire companies have sets of them in all of their warehouses...

Spring and summer of 2012, even TireRack was out of stock. Trust me, I searched. Everywhere.

They were still making the 35 for 17 and 18 inch wheels, but not for the 15. Coincidentally, they were charging two or three times as much for those. So that might explain their production priorities...

Idahoan

Adventurer
I've run AT's for 20 years and like them. Currently have Toyo's and like them but they stink on ice. In smaller tires I always ran Bridgestone Revo or Hankook ATM. They are a softer rubber and did great on winter roads.

VanIsle_Greg

I've run AT's for 20 years and like them. Currently have Toyo's and like them but they stink on ice. In smaller tires I always ran Bridgestone Revo or Hankook ATM. They are a softer rubber and did great on winter roads.

I was never happy with the Toyo AT's on ice, they sucked... and mine wore out really fast. Other than that, I did actually like them. I like the Revo and the Hankook ATM... like I stated above, likely going to opt for the ATM on the WK next year.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
one friend went through 3 tires all due to sidewall splits on his Toyota LC (big/heavy) and the last one they wouldn't warranty. He sold them with about 10,000 KM on them at a loss.

Last time I saw Andrew he was on his second warranty tire. He and his father in law, and Cam (slow and steady) and I went out past Sooke and then headed east. Some great exploring up there, and good wheeling, but nothing that should be killing tires. I wouldn't exactly call Andrew an aggressive driver either.

After this trip, I met a guy from Osoyoos who had dusted a couple of side walls on his dually just on gravel roads.

Chi-Town

The guy under the car
I recently drove my bosses JK with the pro comp mt2 on it and was impressed. They were much quieter than my bfg mud terrain and did quite well in the minor rock garden we were playing in.

VanIsle_Greg

Last time I saw Andrew he was on his second warranty tire. He and his father in law, and Cam (slow and steady) and I went out past Sooke and then headed east. Some great exploring up there, and good wheeling, but nothing that should be killing tires. I wouldn't exactly call Andrew an aggressive driver either.

After this trip, I met a guy from Osoyoos who had dusted a couple of side walls on his dually just on gravel roads.

GY has had their issues with Sidewalls that's for sure. It might have been only the 2 he lost...cant remember? Too bad too, they look like they should be really good tires?? I wanted a set but am wary only due to the local experience others have had here. Mind you, I am more "Web Wheeler" than true wheeler (*cries a little) so they might be fine for me? Also the "Fat Lady" is really HUGE and heavy compared to my little XJ. lol

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
I had one of the first sets of 37" mtrKs ever made on my TJ and I loved them, they did have a light sidewall though. That's what you're giving up when you want the lightest max traction tire made. Nothing is flimsier than the km2 though

If you want tough you've got 2 well mannered and quiet options: the toyo open country mt and the general grabber red label (not available in a 37") literally the toughest battle hardened well mannered tires ever. I have NEVER heard of someone damaging the sidewall of a Toyo ocmt before. That comes with a trade off though, they're one of the heaviest tires made. A 37x13.50r17 weighs in at 96lbs if I'm not mistaken.

falkens

i have had these ina 285-70 -17 it has been a great tie very quiet on my o8 rubicon 4 dr and price wise excellent almost a 100 cheaper than others at the time. now tinking about another set but iwant it quiet drive alot of road miles so what do u guys think for a 34-35 inch all terrain tire?

cnutco

Adventurer
A pic of my Gen 3 Montero right after getting new shoes.

KM2 255/85r16

6ure6ahy.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chuck59

Observer
And my 2¢'s worth is that it sounds like there are a lot of really great tires out there. The tire industry has responded very well to our Overlanding vehicle community needs. And as with any other piece of equipment there are trade offs and compromises.

I really like my Cooper S/T's. There were purchased for my specific vehicle (04 Jeep TJL) and my specific Overlanding needs. They are reasonably quiet on the road, handle the weather elements predictably and are aggresively competent off road. For me, the perfect blend for an Overlanding tire :)

Silvanus

Observer
And my 2¢'s worth is that it sounds like there are a lot of really great tires out there. The tire industry has responded very well to our Overlanding vehicle community needs. And as with any other piece of equipment there are trade offs and compromises.

I really like my Cooper S/T's. There were purchased for my specific vehicle (04 Jeep TJL) and my specific Overlanding needs. They are reasonably quiet on the road, handle the weather elements predictably and are aggresively competent off road. For me, the perfect blend for an Overlanding tire :)

This ^

I've done the same with my 06 TJ-L, The GY Adventure AT are just what I need for an DD/two track roads Jeep. I was out with my Brother in Wheelock Vermont on the mountain rd. on a photo shoot and the tire gripped very well through virgin snow ( Class 4 roads w/ 4 to 5" of snow ) on the backroads as well glazed dirt town roads, and asphalt without noise.

They'll suit my needs for years to come! It will be a great overland tire for sure!

Last edited:

grogie

Like to Camp
I have to say I like my Goodyear MTRs. Sure they have a little noise on the highway, but it's not that bad. They do a really nice job in the muck.

img04654.jpg

c838c87e-2ab1-421b-8531-feaf07f8fbfc.jpg

My trailer also runs them. :)

0ht8.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach