Oversize Base for Hi-Lift Jack

vanderpooch

Authentic Adventurer
I'm preparing for my first trip to Baja and have no recovery experience in the sand.
Is the Oversize Base for Hi-Lift Jack:

normal_ffeda3efd6e605768f0dc13e14712e59.jpg

Something you shouldn't leave home without or a simple piece of 3/4 ply can do just about the same thing for $39.99 less??

iguana4x4

Wiki_4x4
If you have fabrication skills, this one is easy to build and inexpensive. Better than plywood yet a little heavy, but might work for you.

base%20met%C3%A1lica.jpg

AndrewP

Explorer
That hi-lift base is a nice and useful item, so at least consider getting it. If you use the factory jack the hi-lift base is a nice place to put that.

You certainly can make your own with plywood or metal, but this one does work and it's light and well made.

There is also an old Con-Fer piece that does the same thing-nice if you can dig one up. For awhile, Marksoffroad still had a few of these which are no longer made.

conjackbasel.gif

Last edited:

mrchips

Adventurer
You can make a good one by glueing 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood together, and then cut it to fit a little larger than your jack base, just so it stops the jack from sinking in the soft ground, sand. Drill a hole through the wood to match a hole in your jack base, and stick a bolt thru with a wing nut, that way the jack base will not slide off.

vanderpooch

Authentic Adventurer
I would be concerned with the PT base splitting under perpendicular load like almost all 2x material does these days. I was thinking of using some Advantec decking.

Antichrist, mrchips do you have pics?

mrchips

Adventurer
No pics, plywood is inherently stronger because of its layers and the glueing. Or you can use a single piece of 1 1/4" ply.

rovingowl

Observer
how big of a base is sufficient without being too bulky to carry? i have some ground rated pt 3/4 ply leftover from a recent job but i think it's about 8 inches wide at best. do you think two strips on top and two glued perpendicular to get a 16 x16 square would work out?

naughtyboy

i use an off cut off 50mm thick waffle board or if its really bad i use a pce of pierced of ally plate i got from commercial vehicle breakers.
its bit they walk on across back for a couple of quid

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
does anyone have the hi-lift base for a base size measurement?
Yep. It's pretty much a 12" square (sounds kinda arbitrary, don't it?) and about three inches high in the center.

No question that something nearly as functional could be fabricated, but a couple of things to take into account . . .

The HL off-road base is made of plastic and doesn't weigh but a couple of pounds. It's also not likely to damage things when stored or sliding around in the back of the truck.

The official OR base also has the depression on the top that "captures" the jack's metal base. That adds some stability (or a least sense of stability) that you wouldn't have with a flat piece.

Anyway, the base costs about $35, and given all the other overpriced stuff on my trucks, it seemed one of the more reasonable purchases. :)

alexrex20

Explorer
a 12in square of 1.25 plywood isn't but a few pounds either. if you have your gear properly stored, it would not be sliding around nor would it be damaging anything - regardless of material.

Zedbra

I have for the last 25 years used a 12" X 12" X 1.25" plywood and it works great. I have used plywood 10" X 14" as well and it was great. I would look and see where you want to store the wood base and cut it to fit. No rule says it has to be square or rectangle. I would keep it at least 144 square inches to spread out the weight better.

I like the wood better then the metal bases. If the surface is uneven rock the wood will grab the rock better then the hard metal.

I have almost 125 Baja trips and only used the Hi-lift Jack a 20 times or so. With some luck you may not need to use it. By having the base with you you have less chance of needing it.

My $.02

thanks for this - I just picked up my Hi-Lift today. This will be the next thing I do - build a wooden base

AlexJet

Explorer
I'm preparing for my first trip to Baja and have no recovery experience in the sand.
Is the Oversize Base for Hi-Lift Jack:

normal_ffeda3efd6e605768f0dc13e14712e59.jpg

Something you shouldn't leave home without or a simple piece of 3/4 ply can do just about the same thing for $39.99 less??

If you have fabrication skills, this one is easy to build and inexpensive. Better than plywood yet a little heavy, but might work for you.

base%20met%C3%A1lica.jpg

Interesting idea. I was thinking of Hi-Lift base, but still think it's too much in price in Canada $50). It got benefit of weight.
I have good fab skils and your idea of steel one is good. It may be weight more and need to be calculated further.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy