Ozark Trail "High Performance" cooler - any good?

Bigunit

Adventurer
So, I am going to do a head to head test of the Ozark Trail 26 qt. cooler vs. my Swiss made NATO HMMWV insulated cooler (13 liter with 2 inside stackable covered containers) with a locktite, leakproof lid and folding carry handle, made out of a rubber/fiberglass exterior. The interior is fully lined and insulated and keeps ice and items cold for days. It measures approximately 17" tall x 14" wide x 7" deep (about the same size of a jerry can) and fits in a standard Jerry can mount. I have to say, this is a very cool, practical, space-saving cooler for a couple days on the trail. It's also wrapped with a US miltary insulated bag that I got from Coleman's Military Surplus. I also have to say, out of my cooler "collection", this one is my favorite!

DSC00644.jpg

DSC00655.jpg

DSC00649.jpg

DSC00651.jpg

DSC00656.jpg

DSC00654.jpg

DSC00652.jpg

DSC00647.jpg

DSC00653.jpg

https://colemans.com/shop/containers/u-s-g-i-portable-insulated-container/

perkj

Explorer
The Gander Mountain replacement handles might work, but they look long and the buckles might interfere with closing the lid. At $13 for 2, they might be worth a try but I already have plenty of 1" webbing, buckles, fasteners, etc., and the thermoplastic handles only cost $3.50 ea if I can't find something in my "leftovers" box that will work.

I can confirm the gander mountain replacement handles will not fit the 26 qt. they will only fit the 52 and 73 quart. The slot to accept the metal rectangle handle webbing ends is too small on the 26er. I suspect even a 1" webbing will be too wide and you need to go 3/4". I'll be interested to see what you come up with as handles on the 26 would be a nice addition.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Brought home a 52 quart OT cooler yesterday; probably won't get to try it until the end of the month though.
$147

In stock at Walmart on Belles Ferry Road outside Woodstock, GA. Also showed in stock in Winder, GA. In stock on their website yesterday.

tpond

Observer
So, I am going to do a head to head test of the Ozark Trail 26 qt. cooler vs. my Swiss made NATO HMMWV insulated cooler (13 liter with 2 inside stackable covered containers) with a locktite, leakproof lid and folding carry handle, made out of a rubber/fiberglass exterior. The interior is fully lined and insulated and keeps ice and items cold for days. It measures approximately 17" tall x 14" wide x 7" deep (about the same size of a jerry can) and fits in a standard Jerry can mount. I have to say, this is a very cool, practical, space-saving cooler for a couple days on the trail. It's also wrapped with a US miltary insulated bag that I got from Coleman's Military Surplus. I also have to say, out of my cooler "collection", this one is my favorite!

DSC00644.jpg

DSC00655.jpg

DSC00649.jpg

DSC00651.jpg

DSC00656.jpg

DSC00654.jpg

DSC00652.jpg

DSC00647.jpg

DSC00653.jpg

https://colemans.com/shop/containers/u-s-g-i-portable-insulated-container/

That is super cool! Where did you find it? Looks like it was for the Swedish army based on the crest of three crowns. Does it say made in Switzerland on it?

pyrate

Rollin' along
Look Dad, a herd of Unicorns!!!

That must be photoshopped. HAHA.

Seems like they have some challenges with making the product available to the masses. Put them online!!!

They have added some features on the website. Comparison chart (with the others sizes) and pictures of all the features (including bear resistant certification). No dimensions though. Can someone provide dimensions on the 52 and 73?

perkj

Explorer
Can someone provide dimensions on the 52 and 73?

I will tonight when I get home from work since I have all 3 (26, 52, and 73) now :D

For the time being you can use the dimensions from the Gander Mountain site to get pretty darn close since they are basically the same thing:

Capacity: 70 liters / 18.5 gallons. Outside Dimensions: 32.9"L x 19.1"W x 18.7"H. Weight: 29.8 lbs. 5-year 100% guarantee
Capacity: 50 liters / 13.2 gallons. Outside Dimensions: 30.0"L x 17.2"W x 16.7"H. Weight: 26.4 lbs. 5-year 100% guarantee

BTW you can get a nice deal on the Gander Mountain 70L right now. Its on sale for $262 and they are offering $50 off when you spend $250 or more which brings the price to $212 which includes free shipping. If you live in a state where GM does not charge tax then it comes out to basically the same price as the Ozark 72qt from Walmart with tax.

pyrate

Rollin' along
I will tonight when I get home from work since I have all 3 (26, 52, and 73) now :D

For the time being you can use the dimensions from the Gander Mountain site to get pretty darn close since they are basically the same thing:

Capacity: 70 liters / 18.5 gallons. Outside Dimensions: 32.9"L x 19.1"W x 18.7"H. Weight: 29.8 lbs. 5-year 100% guarantee
Capacity: 50 liters / 13.2 gallons. Outside Dimensions: 30.0"L x 17.2"W x 16.7"H. Weight: 26.4 lbs. 5-year 100% guarantee

BTW you can get a nice deal on the Gander Mountain 70L right now. Its on sale for $262 and they are offering $50 off when you spend $250 or more which brings the price to $212 which includes free shipping. If you live in a state where GM does not charge tax then it comes out to basically the same price as the Ozark 72qt from Walmart with tax.

Thanks!! But I need that extra 3 quarts! :friday: HAHA

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
Our podunk walmart had two the other day but i still cant pull the trigger on spending that much personally for a cooler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater