p1171

MaDMaX915

Observer
Ok so it is time to get my 2002 dII inspected and i replaced the o2 sensor up stream now i am getting p1171 code. I have checked the MAF and it seems to be doing fine but my expertise in limited on it so maybe that is it but i dont want to just replace it so help diagnosing it will be grateful. I also have a snorkel has anyone else had any complications with this. I am pretty much at a loss and dont want to just continue to dump random money so any help with be appreciated.

Roverhound

Adventurer
A snorkel won't make your truck throw codes.
It is possible that you have a leak in your intake system somewhere after the maf. Try spraying carb cleaner around the throttle body and intake, if the motor revs, you found your leak. It's also possible your maf is bad but instead of throwing parts at it testing for leaks will at least eliminate that possibility.

MaDMaX915

Observer
Thanks I really don't want to just buy a maf without knowing for sure that is it. Also the rover doesn't run bad at ask it is actually running the best it has ever run so I am at a slight loss for what is wrong.

My 2004 had some of the same codes a while back. I wouldn't advise you to change the O2 sensors unless you know they are bad. My big problem turned out to be the spark plugs. I also ran about 4 bottles of techron through it which fixed the last code that said the left bank was still lean. I'd suggest pulling the plugs and see how bad they are. Change the air filter and run the techron through it. After about 3 tanks I started noticing a big difference in throttle response and mileage. If the sensors are showing a fault something upstream is the likely problem, unless the sensor was damaged or faulty. It may be the easiest starting point but just replacing them without a reason doesn't make sense. Hope that helps

MaDMaX915

Observer
I did change out the spark plugs and am in the process of running some of the techron through it. I talked to a rover shop who said that since i drove it for so long with bad o2 sensor the rover needed to relearn its correct values. The told me to try disc the battery to reset the ecu then drive it if that doesnt work i will have to take it to someone that has the diagnostic equipment and have them reset it. has anyone else had to do this?

ipgregory

Adventurer
If a 'Rover Shop' told you that disconnecting the battery would re-set the ECU in a D2, you might want to start looking for a new rover shop....

MaDMaX915

Observer
Well up until now i have not had to use a mechanic at all so i dont have any idea what this shop knows or how well they work. does anyone know of any good shops that could reset it in the raleigh NC area.

I don't think that resetting anything but the code should be needed. If the new plugs and techron didn't fix it, start with a new air filter if you haven't already if that doesn't work then try to clean the MAF with some non chlorinated brake cleaner or acetone. If the MAF has any oil on it from a K&N or something it could cause it to malfunction.
If none of that works then look at doing an induction cleaning. I believe the next step after that would be to replace your injectors, and those ain't cheap.

Oh and how many bottles of the techron did you put in to one tank? Use about 3 and if you see it smoke when you take off you know some carbon is coming loose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77