Past the point of no return...

trump

Adventurist
Were you at OX10 last year? I think I recall seeing a built white Tacoma with black rockers on the highway overpass and you waved... I'm aged with a fading memory. There weren't a lot of our vehicles there.

Yup, that was probably me. I made it down for a couple days and did the day pass since I was local... mostly to mingle and pick up stuff I bought from members.

80lb gain... Will that be the straw that broke the camels back? :sombrero:

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Man, those flex shots look great. I didnt see the grille set up on when I was there. Is that something that you just added? From first hand sight knowledge, the set up looks pretty beefy and stout. I dont remember seeing that RTI ramp either.

This is a sweet truck and cannot wait to see it on 36s (ATs or MTs?). Whats your first trip going to be?

Thanks. Put the grille on Friday afternoon. I can't wait to see it on new tires either but since everything I want (MT) is on National backorder it may be awhile.

First trip is 27 MAR to Amado.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Yup, that was probably me. I made it down for a couple days and did the day pass since I was local... mostly to mingle and pick up stuff I bought from members.

80lb gain... Will that be the straw that broke the camels back? :sombrero:

You going again this year? My truck will be at the LoadTamer display again.

No, but the operators fat *** will likely be the culprit...

docjake

Observer
I had a question:
What made you choose a coil over linked front end over TG's leaf setup. I am looking at doing a similar swap upon completion of this deployment and I was wondering what your reasoning was. I read the entire thread and couldn't find the answer I would think for expo purposes leafs would be a bit more forgiving and more easily replaced in a pinch.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
;)
I had a question:
What made you choose a coil over linked front end over TG's leaf setup. I am looking at doing a similar swap upon completion of this deployment and I was wondering what your reasoning was. I read the entire thread and couldn't find the answer I would think for expo purposes leafs would be a bit more forgiving and more easily replaced in a pinch.

Good question. What influenced my thinking was maintenance, reliability and durability. My intended use for the vehicle is driving long distances to get to a wheeling destination for overland travel of generally not more than 2 weeks duration, so I want comfortable highway manners and ride but with the ability to handle challenging terrain beyond what my IFS could provide.

I considered leafs, radial arms, 3-link, and even 4-link. All present advantages and disadvantages. I ended up selecting radius arms with a panhard bar mainly because it met my above criteria on more points than the other options. Many modern SFA vehicles use the same sort of suspension - the 70 and 80-series Land Cruiser and Jeeps are examples. These control arms really don't require a lot of maintenance and these in particular are made of some serious steel - not the thin wall stuff you see on OEM vehicles. There is absolutely nothing wrong with leaf packs whatsoever; this is just the route I decided upon to meet my needs.

Now, you can make a good case for front leaf packs on an expo vehicle, but seriously, I'm really not going to take my Tacoma across equatroial Africa where I might have to scavenge for replacement parts from ancient vehicles abondoned in the jungle; and when armageddon happens the EMP will have fried my Tacoma ECM (and I'll be annoyed that I didn't get that FJ62) and the zombies have set off the last of the Claymore's, I'll just call in the FPF on my AO and call it a day. There. Deflected that possible thread hi-jack.

OBTW, if you just read this entire thread then you are probably AWOL - go report to your 1SG. ;)

Stay safe and keep us posted on your vehicle plans.

Last edited:

Wheelingnoob

Adventurer
;)

Now, you can make a good case for front leaf packs on an expo vehicle, but seriously, I'm really not going to take my Tacoma across equatroial Africa where I might have to scavenge for replacement parts from ancient vehicles abondoned in the jungle; and when armageddon happens the EMP will have fried my Tacoma ECM (and I'll be annoyed that I didn't get that FJ62)

That FJ62 will not be going anywhere as its got an ECM just like the taco........now if you had an HJ or BJ60 you would be fine :ylsmoke:

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
315s. Had a set of IROK 37s on last night that the owner let my try out. They fit and the truck looked EXTREMELY awesome. Big? If the sun was out it would have eclipsed that large yellow star. But it just drove awful and did rub a little. If I ever get a picture I'll post it.

jim65wagon

Deflection reflected.....get a real Claymore (the kind those bloody Scots used) just in case that final fire isn't so final.....those pesky zombies have a way of invading your home after they're "dead"; kind of the same way they can invade, die off and reinvade a thread at a moments notice!
images

Humvette

Adventurer
I love the build, great job! I like the shocks a lot. I did not know they made them for the super duties... I cannot wait to see them offroad...

Side note:
This is the first i have heard of the 33" expo tire limit, CRAP!!! I just put 42's on my H1!!! Wait a minute this means that even a stop H1 can't be expo??? on 37's it gears out at 83mph, hell 33"s would gear out at like 70mph!!!

Explorer
315s. Had a set of IROK 37s on last night that the owner let my try out. They fit and the truck looked EXTREMELY awesome. Big? If the sun was out it would have eclipsed that large yellow star. But it just drove awful and did rub a little. If I ever get a picture I'll post it.

Truck too tall, tires rubbing and it drives awful, but it looks cool.... Thought I was back at TTORA for a second :bike_rider:

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
...get a real Claymore (the kind those bloody Scots used)

Ooo! A real claymore would look sweet with my Utili-kilt and its long enough I could use it for support for egress... except getting in and out of the truck might compromise my, ah, modesty. Nah!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater