Petersons Ultimate Adventure Tundra

jim65wagon

Does this mean the Tundrabird Prime is gone and you'll be starting a new build thread?
Are congratulations in order?

01tundra

Explorer
Yep, it's been relocated to Kentucky.

Time to start building "stuff" for her new FJ.......I'm just the underpaid fabricator on this one :).

01tundra

Explorer
Guess I'll need to start a new build thread for the latest victim sooner or later.......

This one is going to be a little on the milder side, definitely more expo and less rock crawling.

Probably going to just go with a 3" Stage 1 Icon lift, 285's, Budbuilt sliders, homemade skids, not sure what we're doing on bumpers yet, 9,500# winch, dual batteries, homemade Hi-Lift mount, and throwing the Engel in the back.

At least she got me the right color to work with :)!

FJC.jpg

Last edited:

Sempertoy

Explorer
I am glad that you are starting a build, however mild it may be on this fj. I have been looking at these more and more and thinking it may be my next vic. Congrats on the new toy!

01tundra

Explorer
Ha, nothing too extreme for this one.

I ordered some Bilstein 5100's for the front to level it up.

Probably throw some sliders on it to protect the rocker panels.

Already did the gray wire mod and installed the twistlock plug for the Engel.

Want to go with a slightly larger tire than it has now (265/70-R16), but not sure if 265/75-R16's is the right choice......

Last edited:

EXP-T100

Adventurer
You will like the 5100's they give a very good ride. I am running them front and rear with Toytec/Eibach front coil. So what tire will you run? the only one i can think of would be 255/85r16 but thats a little bigger than slightly no.

01tundra

Explorer
Yeah, it's looking like I'll most likely be going with 265/75-R16 Hankook Dynapro MT's when the BFG AT's wear out.

Right now my speedometer is reading about 2 MPH too fast (according to my GPS), so the 75's should get it pretty close if I'm thinking the right direction....

01tundra

Explorer
I'm afraid that with the Bilsteins set on the middle setting (1.25") that my back end will be too low, since the leafs are negative arched pretty bad right now.

But if I put an add-a-leaf back there I'm afraid that it will then raise the rear end too much. Plus I think I'll be forced to go to a longer shock in the rear. I guess we'll see what it ends up looking like after the 5100's are installed in the front.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
NIce choice! I ran some coilspacers for a while that raised the front about "1.5. I ended up with just an AAL in the back and it worked fine for a while. When I went to the Bilstein 5100s I also got OME 882s and 10mm sacers from Wheelers. I went with a "1.5 block in the back (with 5100s also). I am running 285/75/16 Treadwright wannabe BFG ATs on the FZJ80 wheels and getting some frame rub little at full lock in the front. When I get new tires I will probably go down a size. I do love the ride with the Bilsteins though. I might switch to the OME Dakar rear springs when I get around to it.

I anxiously watch your build!

EXP-T100

Adventurer
I was thinking about what u wont in a tire and you could go with a 235/85r16. As for what Rattler said about the treadwright's i am running the same tire (with 4.88) and i get the frame rub also (need a 1/4" more back space) but i ordered there 265/75 and i am now wishing i ordered there 235/85 (pizza cutters lol).

01tundra

Explorer
Yeah I've been studying all the options. I think I'm going to end up just sticking with 265/75-R16 Hankook MT's, since I don't want to regear and I'm only lifting the truck about an inch. I'm trying to keep this one as low as possible and also trying to keep my fuel milage as close to stock as possible.

Think I may end up throwing on a set of CBI bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts and possibly Budbuilt front and t-case skids. I'll be keeping the factory bumpers on it for a long time since I have an FJ to focus on building for the wifey.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues