Pics of your Ambulance. Post Up!

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Hey Tribe and Ambot
How is that tire and rim combo working out??
Can they be aired down for sand??
Is the highway ride good??
My setup is working well. But the road noise is s bit much on long trips.

You're running the hummer rims/tires right? Noise doesnt bother me much but how well did yours balance out? I have a shimmy/vibration at around 50-55 that doesnt seem to want to go away. My tires didnt have the greatest wear pattern when I got them so that might have a bit to do with it. I was a bit disappointed this time around by the ones I got from Trail Ready.

cjken

Explorer
Yes the set I got we're basically new. Still had the little nipples on them. They balanced out pretty well.
I get a bit of a vibration from time to time but it is not at any specific speed it seems as if the tires line up into some rotation pattern from time to time that causes it. Nothing crazy just a little shake.
The current reality is that I am running mostly on the road and want a solution that works well for that. I do need to retain the ability to drive through sand do what ever the solution is that needs to be part of it.
Mine were already mounted so they have the heavy rubber runflats inside I just worry that over time all that rotating mass will take its toll on the truck.
I can't seem to find a 16.5 tire solution.

Ideas.
1. Find a more road worthy 16.5

2. Rickson 19.5 rims drw-srw conversion 285/70 r19.5

3. Alu h1 17 inch rims that will work with a range of tire options.

4. Swap DRW front hubs for SRW and run whatever I want.

I want to keep the rear singles.

Not in a rush, but want to make highway travel a bit more comfortable.

I did drive the 37's across the country so they are not that bad.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Aw don't be a sissy. I drove my open top CJ from NE Ohio to Houston and back on 37s. I just look at it as poor mans satellite radio. Same song the whole trip but it never goes away. :)

AMBOT

Adventurer
Hey Tribe and Ambot
How is that tire and rim combo working out??
Can they be aired down for sand??
Is the highway ride good??
My setup is working well. But the road noise is s bit much on long trips.

I won't encounter sand until July. They cannot be aired down, but the virtual rear tire footprint is almost 2 feet wide. I run the tire at the minimum allotted pressure of 80 psi. I do have some shimmy but its not until 70 mph which I really have no business in (60-65 is the sweet spot). The more loaded it is the better it rides. I don't really have any road noise, but I've also sound dampened the cabin quite a bit.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Interco has some offerings in the 16.5 line so you wouldnt even have to change rims. There's a 37/12.5 in the SSR line that doesnt look too bad. Not really an all terrain type, but not overly aggressive.

cjken

Explorer
Aw don't be a sissy. I drove my open top CJ from NE Ohio to Houston and back on 37s. I just look at it as poor mans satellite radio. Same song the whole trip but it never goes away. :)

Haha!! True, but I'm still keeping my eyes out for a solution.
Actually the interco vortrac may fit the bill. I'm guessing any 16.5 tire can be mounted on the h1 rims with s pvc beadlock ring??

Here's a pic to keep it on topic. You can see that the tread is quite aggressive. What do yours weigh with the pvc in place of the runflats?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432906399.014270.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432906419.723969.jpg

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I saw that Vortrac but wasnt familiar with it. I didnt bother to weigh them individually but if the scale ticket from the freight company was correct, they're pushing 200#s a piece. Trying to mount them, I believe it. The ticket was 980#s for 5 on the skid. Even if the skid weighed 40#s that still works out to 188#s per tire/rim/beadlock combo.

Personaly I dont see hem as all that aggressive. More of a mild M/T or fairly aggressive A/T, though I doubt they're much good in that dept. Actually probably not all that great in either dept as the military is all about multi-use, usually creating stuff in the process that isnt all that much use in any of the "multi" categories.

I'm guessing they arent much good for you in the sand. I'm not sure how flexy that sidewall is but given the weight of the carcass I'll bet not very. Plus side is that with the double beadlock you can run the pressure down to nothing and not worry about rolling a bead. :)

PGGRS

Observer
Baby Got New Shoes!

Toyo MT's 255/85/16... 8 of them!

Seems like we should have our own heading. See ambulances all over the site. I put my not so detailed build in 'other custom' , but could we also be in 'domestic full size' , or here, or ....

Little & big toys 011.jpgLittle & big toys 012.jpgLittle & big toys 013.jpgLittle & big toys 014.jpg

huskyhauler

Adventurer
Toyo MT's 255/85/16... 8 of them!

Seems like we should have our own heading. See ambulances all over the site. I put my not so detailed build in 'other custom' , but could we also be in 'domestic full size' , or here, or ....

View attachment 287053View attachment 287054View attachment 287055View attachment 287056

Any details on that trailer hitch setup? I've been exploring a hitch on mine but haven't figured out how to rig one up. The body protrudes too far back and the bumper is aluminum.

PGGRS

Observer
Mine is similar to the above, but custom. A Draw-tite or similar would probably have to be modded/extended further under the frame. Mine has a 2nd 2x2 further back between the frame rails. The center receiver splits the rear one & anchors to the inner, so it is less likely to twist downward. I've put the outer receivers on my last 4 trucks. Extra strength on current rig by boxing together, for the dual spare carrier(I have a box to swap out for one, but I'll run this up north) or a motorcycle carrier & still have the center to tow with. BTW, my spares sit on the 3 piece aluminum bumper, the white hitch/MC carrier arms just hold it steady against the truck body. The center section(like cjken's) does rest on the 3 receivers. My (not pictured) box "plugs" into the right outer one & is steadied by the spare's holder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman