Pics of your VAN! Post up!

ArcticBus

Observer
Alaska White Trash Adventure Van

1994 E250 , came with really poor insulation that I tore out. Also came with a lumber rack which is perfect for my roof pod, kayak and to mount my ARB awning to. Here she is when I brought her home. This will be an April to Sept camper
van3_zps4cchhcnx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Things done so far:
remove old insulation
re-insulate
built storage and raised bed using 2"x12"
fixed ignition, pass tie rod end.
bought ARB2500 awning

Things left to do
Carpet raised floor
Finish insulation
cut & cover panel walls
install Ipod stereo.
come up with roof insulation plan

nobodyhome

Adventurer
Thanks for the intel on the OLV kit... yeah it's a decent deal but factoring in the price of installation (I don't have the right knowledge or tools) and would be spending a bit more on the bigger wheels.... Gotta think it over a little more. I still feel like the 215/75/15 BFG AT's will be solid if I don't decide to lift. At least I have a capable tire for dirt roads that don't require a lot of clearance. I know I should just go ahead and lift the damn thing.

Hey bro, I did that lift a couple months ago... noooo problem what so ever. I posted details and the required tools in my build:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/153438-Newbie-AWD-Astro-Overlander-Build

I referred to this post for advice too: http://chevroletforum.com/forum/ast...ow-2"-astro-lift-install-overland-vans-25553/

The OLV kit IS expensive if you consider what you get, about $100 worth of parts. Gerald does make the emergency brake relocation bracket with this kit, but again nothing a 2" spacer and the original bracket can't solve. This kit also DOES NOT come with the bumper relocation bracket, which is great quality. I run my van without the bumper cover and I think it looks fine.

My only other advice is run 235/75/15 tires max or suffer the consequences.

awd

Hey bro, I did that lift a couple months ago... noooo problem what so ever. I posted details and the required tools in my build:

I referred to this post for advice too:

The OLV kit IS expensive if you consider what you get, about $100 worth of parts. Gerald does make the emergency brake relocation bracket with this kit, but again nothing a 2" spacer and the original bracket can't solve. This kit also DOES NOT come with the bumper relocation bracket, which is great quality. I run my van without the bumper cover and I think it looks fine.

My only other advice is run 235/75/15 tires max or suffer the consequences.

Thanks for the heads up! I have read thru your build, great info and sweet Astro by the way! I decided to hold off on the OLV lift for now. I've got other trips and plans that are taking $/time priority. I ended up going with the stock size 215/75/15 BFG KO2's on some steelies. Don't do a ton of dirt roads that require more clearance than stock - mostly mellow gravel and dirt roads without a ton of ruts, rocks, etc. I just wanted a dependable set of rubber for that and snow. Down the road if I see the need for the lift it's nice to know I can check back on your build for intel!

shoes.jpg

nobodyhome

Adventurer
WHOA, talk about a sweet astro, that thing is gorgeous! I like the steelies and the new shoes, yeah I wouldn't bother with a lift at this point.

bozwell13

Adventure Dad
01.jpg02.jpg327.jpg20160318_115520.jpg
Well, I guess I have the van bug pretty bad, am fascinated with them. I just bought my 6th and 7th van to add to my current inventory. The dark blue one I just bought a week ago, is an ex police correctional facility van, 2006 AWD express, has double doors on both side, is a window/passenger van but the interior is stripped with just a partition and a huge aluminum pack rat tool box in the back. I come from a big 4WD back ground, love bumpers, winches, lift kits roof racks, was pretty sure I would hate the AWD system like a big box shaped Subaru etc. I was shocked when I took it out in the desert and it climbed loose sand hills like they weren't there, really surprised me in a huge way. I have already installed a Traxda lift kit (got 2 inchs out of the front, no where near the 3 promised) and am very happy with the new ride/handling characteristics. Next week it gets rims, new tires, behind the bumper brackets to support a winch plate, 8K winch, a couple Hella lights, roof rack etc, I want this little rig to look like the 4WD it is. These are before and after lift kit pictures, will be more impressive with new rims and rubber.

Last edited:

bozwell13

Adventure Dad
IMG_20160311_134118_788.jpgIMG_20160311_150036_741.jpgIMG_20160422_155612_898.jpg
I just bought this van a few days ago, a 2000 Chevy 3/4 ton RWD with 94K orig miles and 5.7 Vortec V8. I put 650 miles on it the first few days, really like this rig, wish it was 4WD like my 02 Savana. Just for the hell of it (as I think vans are making a come back) and because I want this one to be a few shades cooler to drive, I'm installing a 2 inch lift kit next week and 265-285 off road tires, then a winch, lights, roof rack, queen size bed, rear camp kitchen etc, will post before and after pictures in a few days as the lift parts just got here... Heres a pic next to the Savana, the difference in height is huge...
UPDATE: Here's what the "little white school van" looks like now, have put nearly 900 miles on the lift and tires, so far Im very happy with it, has great attitude and big height. I didn't realize how tall the roofline really is on vans, I can barley reach the rocket box while standing in the side doors but it makes great shade, lol....

Last edited:

draaronr

Adventurer
more details please, I love it
Yes. That van is a USA van that was converted to Syncro with parts from Europe.

Then we converted it to 4 wheel disc brakes and suspension from a 2003 van. (stock they were smaller front discs and drums rear). All poly bushings, Koni adjustable shocks, steel braided lines, new steering rack, ball joints, tie rods, body work, bedliner, CaveVan vinyl flooring, new hater blowers, heated seats, custom tent, wheels, tires, lift, etc etc etc.

Accrete

Explorer
...was pretty sure I would hate the AWD system like a big box shaped Subaru etc. I was shocked when I took it out in the desert and it climbed loose sand hills like they weren't there, really surprised me in a huge way...

I resemble that remark ; )
We've never had any issue playing in the sand dunes on the beaches near our home on the Oregon coast, or any where else we took the van to play.
Have fun with the builds and rigs!

Thom

bozwell13

Adventure Dad
Back to the big Van

20160316_181705.jpg20160316_181715.jpg2016032095152126.jpg2016031695181722.jpg
With multiple van projects (not to mention the ones I have to do to make a living) I'm circling back to my 02 Savana 1 ton 4WD, found some old school Alcoa rims that fit over the hubs, just bed lined the bumper, grill guard, rocker rails and hood (regret coating the hood but it had a lot of little dents/ripples) painted the sliding window braces and am in the process of repairing, painting the grill. For the record, that is my painter's yard, not mine, lol...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues