Pics of your VAN! Post up!

bozwell13

Adventure Dad
I also just bought a 2006 AWD express with double doors on both sides for a lighter, faster weekend tripper rather than the 4 ton Juggernaut. I have read every inch of your AWD build, your van is awesome, really impressive and well thought out. I come from a 4WD background but your build is in large why I bought a 1/2 ton AWD platform to play with. The fact that I live at 8000 ft above Durango and it takes AWD or 4WD to get up my driveway in the winter was also a driving factor, lol.

Accrete

Explorer
I also just bought a 2006 AWD express with double doors on both sides for a lighter...
Nice catch on the configuration. We soooooo wanted the same layout when shopping. There are so many more options for interior build w/doors on both sides of the body. Have fun with the "weekend tripper" !

: ) Thom

Cole

Expedition Leader
25530879186_a90be93006_c.jpg

25438434462_37cfc89573_c.jpg

25464115791_1f62e9d54d_c.jpg

25189314549_748cfeb944_c.jpg

awd

My 2002 Chevy Astro AWD. The camper for biking and skiing missions. I've had it for almost 2 years. Bone stock, I bought it with 170k from the original owner and haven't done much to it besides adding the Yakima box and holdup hitch bike rack. Took the rear seats out and threw my Colman cot back there for sleeping. Got a Mr. Buddy heater, reflectix for privacy, 10gal water, portable power + normal camping gear. It's basically a moving tent... I want to keep it mostly stock and like being able to put the rear seats back in if needed. My next real upgrade is some BFG AT's. Just need to decide wether or not to do the OLV 2" lift for bigger tires or to just go with the stock size... I don't do any serious 4x4 trails but definitely spend time on dirt roads... clearance never hurts but I am trying to keep the van fairly stock and I am on a budget. I'll probably do the swivel seat on the passenger side down the road. Nothing special, but I do love these vans. Even bone stock, it's cool to have the space to use it as a camper without fully converting it. Previous owner took care of it and its really a smooth ride.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-03-06 at 9.15.11 PM.jpg

Nj8gVpF.jpg

Last edited:

jmeb

Observer
My 2002 Chevy Astro AWD. The camper for biking and skiing missions. I've had it for almost 2 years. Bone stock, I bought it with 170k from the original owner and haven't done much to it besides adding the Yakima box and holdup hitch bike rack. Took the rear seats out and threw my Colman cot back there for sleeping. Got a Mr. Buddy heater, reflectix for privacy, 10gal water, portable power + normal camping gear. It's basically a moving tent... I want to keep it mostly stock and like being able to put the rear seats back in if needed. My next real upgrade is some BFG AT's. Just need to decide wether or not to do the OLV 2" lift for bigger tires or to just go with the stock size... I don't do any serious 4x4 trails but definitely spend time on dirt roads... clearance never hurts but I am trying to keep the van fairly stock and I am on a budget. I'll probably do the swivel seat on the passenger side down the road. Nothing special, but I do love these vans. Even bone stock, it's cool to have the space to use it as a camper without fully converting it. Previous owner took care of it and its really a smooth ride.

Clean looking ride, we need to see some inside pics ;).

RE:OLV lift -- you can piece a kit together for a bit cheaper than the OLV one, which is still pretty inexpensive at $225 shipped -- although I would highly recommend their bumper relocation brackets ($100) as well. It definitely helps fit a bigger tire without cutting/rub.

If you were local I'd tell you to come over and grab my Discoverer A/T3s that I'm not using for cheap.

Cole

Expedition Leader
Pretty sure he makes / converts them.

Yes. That van is a USA van that was converted to Syncro with parts from Europe.

Then we converted it to 4 wheel disc brakes and suspension from a 2003 van. (stock they were smaller front discs and drums rear). All poly bushings, Koni adjustable shocks, steel braided lines, new steering rack, ball joints, tie rods, body work, bedliner, CaveVan vinyl flooring, new hater blowers, heated seats, custom tent, wheels, tires, lift, etc etc etc.

bunce1260

Observer
@ awd - Go with the 2" lift, the lift pucks, longer body bolts and shackles are all you need. To raise the bumper you could just use the top holes but it'd be better to make or buy some brackets so you have 4 bolts holding it on. That should enable you to get close to a 30" tyre with a little trimming of the bumper corners.

awd

Clean looking ride, we need to see some inside pics ;).

RE:OLV lift -- you can piece a kit together for a bit cheaper than the OLV one, which is still pretty inexpensive at $225 shipped -- although I would highly recommend their bumper relocation brackets ($100) as well. It definitely helps fit a bigger tire without cutting/rub.

If you were local I'd tell you to come over and grab my Discoverer A/T3s that I'm not using for cheap.

Haha. Ask and you shall receive (even though I got the joke :))

GOPR1928 copy.JPG

Thanks for the intel on the OLV kit... yeah it's a decent deal but factoring in the price of installation (I don't have the right knowledge or tools) and would be spending a bit more on the bigger wheels.... Gotta think it over a little more. I still feel like the 215/75/15 BFG AT's will be solid if I don't decide to lift. At least I have a capable tire for dirt roads that don't require a lot of clearance. I know I should just go ahead and lift the damn thing.

Thanks for the offer on the Discovers too... I actually am planning a trip to colorado in the fall but I doubt I'll need em then or that you will have them ha

Last edited:

Petrolburner

Explorer
This is my current 4WD van project, a 2002 GMC Savana SLE 3500, Dana 70 rear, Dana 60 front, 8.1L big block, 285 BFGATKO tires. Was 1 of 2 custom built for a wildlife institute for photographing bears and such. Has custom sliding windows with heavy reinforcement all the way around and 3 huge hatches in the roof so you could take pictures of grizzlies without becoming lunch. Im currently finishing the front bumper/grill guard you see in the pictures, next week we're spraying bedliner on bumpers, below the belt line and around window braces. I have a really long sidewinder II awning, some huge PIAA lights, a set of nice Alcoa alloy rims, a 12K HD Warn power plant winch for the front and 9K Warn power plant winch for the rear. Why a rear winch? At this time this bruiser is 9.5 ft tall, weighs just over 8000lbs empty and I don't think a hi-lift jack is going to cut it if I get the 13ft long wheel base high centered or stuck, lol. The roof rack gets floored next with a roof top tent that can be entered/exited through a ceiling hatch, no outside ladder, my kids are going to love sleeping 10 feet off the ground while the wife and I are down below in a queen size bed!

That's excellent!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues