POD: Homebuilt foam core fiberglass skin pop-up camper build thread

JamesDowning

Explorer
That looks like a ton of work, but very cool. I appreciate how methodical your process seems.

Really looking forward to seeing how this goes... subscribed!

pods8

Explorer
Yep, lots of work. Its easy to underestimate the time required to actually construct things when you look at manufacturer's prices. However I will say I'm getting faster at all the various processes as I go so hopefully the upper portion comes along quicker.

Most of the time I find the playing around in the garage to be entertaining to me so as long as I'm on top of balancing family life and time line expectations it goes pretty well. I've had some heavy weeks in the garage that stressed one side of things and had some light weeks out there that made me get anxious about my time frame walking out farther. Still hanging in there and have a happy family. Should be interesting when the second boy shows up in late October, I'm hoping to have the cores all done (and maybe painted?) by then so I can just pick away at the interior build out... we'll see.

JamesDowning

Explorer
Very true, once you finish a project like this, you inadvertently come to appreciate the prices that the manufacturers ask. As you said, time management is difficult skill to master while satisfying all other commitments. I experienced similar challenges on a smaller scale when I built a roof top tent from scratch. Good luck with it all!

bee

Observer
You have a really great project going on. On your chart you list really good prices for resin, fiberglass, and foamular.
I was wondering where you get your supplies?

What brand resin? and how many gallons of resin are you using in the build?

pods8

Explorer
You have a really great project going on. On your chart you list really good prices for resin, fiberglass, and foamular.
I was wondering where you get your supplies?

What brand resin? and how many gallons of resin are you using in the build?

Foam: Local commercial building supply yard, not really relevant unless you're local to me. To find a supplier I sent a message to owens corning asking if anyone in my geographic region bought and/or stocked foamular 600. (I actually looked into 400, 600, and 1000 there wasn't too much price increase between 250 which is available at home depot to 600 but to jump to 1000 it was a substantial increase).

Glass: I ordered some 125yd rolls through thayercraft, I think stuff ran me about $3.5/yd once shipping was factored in. Another source to keep an eye on for BULK is discountcomposite but keep in mind you'll be getting a single roll of whatever yardage they have available that you select so factor in your ability to handle it in terms of weight if you are thinking of ordering one.

Resin: I'm using uscomposites 635 system with the 4:1 hardener. I think after shipping I paid about $47/gal (and in my case that is shipping from FL to WA). I'd have to go look at how much resin I currently have left in stock but I suspect I've probably used about 9gal so far which has gotten all the lower cores assembled, laminated (3plys exterior and for the most part 2plys interior), and glued together. I haven't yet "taped" across both sides of the joint yet.

Edit: Since I'm posting. I've done some camping so progress has slowed but the current status of things are I finished laminating that last lower wall core (passenger wall rear portion) and epoxied/filleted that into place as well. Then I sanded all the exterior joints to smooth everything out and also scuff sanded the fiberglass about 6" back from the joints on both the outside and inside (also scuffed up the epoxy fillet on the inside), this is to give the "tape" layers a good bonding surface. Cleaned up the garage a bit after that and I'm ready to start the "tape" plys. However I have another trip this weekend as well...

Last edited:

Captm

Adventurer
Mid weight contender?

I may have missed this in the thread, but what is your estimated weight of the POD?
Keep up the great work, it is inspiring!:bowdown:

pods8

Explorer
I may have missed this in the thread, but what is your estimated weight of the POD?
Keep up the great work, it is inspiring!:bowdown:

It will be what it will be but if you look back at thread 22 I give some estimated numbers based on sample pieces I made with different lamination schedules. In reality I'm using a blend of things. Punching up some rough numbers the foam/skins for the lower portion of the camper should be around 210lb, plus lets assume an 80lb allowance for the wood strips in the cores equaling a theoretical 290lb for that. (Don't reality have a way of actually weighing it currently, eventually I'll weight the finished camper).

Just spit balling forward: Based on how I'm thinking I'll build/dimension to upper portion I suppose somewhere around 200lb is a decent guess. The combined 490 doesn't factor in windows, interior build out, paint, etc. Maybe assume 130lb for windows/paint bringing the shell to 620 without an interior? I think the finished camper should come in under 1000lb dry (appliances, 160lb of battery, interior included but no water factored in). We'll see.

Sorta timely question, I was doing some side research at flooring materials. Just painting the floor is the lightest option but it's not very aesthetic or comfortable on the feet. Thin wood replica vinyl plank flooring would offer nice aesthetics and a long wearing floor but is hard to the feet and somewhat heavy. Real wood/bambo/etc. is heavier and over time could have moisture issues. Both of these could add 50lb to the floor area which seems a little excessive for aesthetics. Other options I was looking at that I just got some samples in on are foam and rubber type flooring samples which could offer some aesthetics if the right product is picked, be lighter that vinyl or wood, and offer some comfort under foot. Probably float or use a low strength adhesive for any flooring option so if I wanted I could change things out fairly easy down the line.

pods8

Explorer
Those floor samples are below:

(Left to right)
Rubber tile: Heaviest but has some neat color options.
Thin rubber over foam: Limited color options, seems like it'd wear well, 3rd heaviest.
Wood colored foam: Decent appearance, probably a bit too soft though, lightest.
Wood toned sport foam: A bit more bland but not too bad, decently firm, weight is between regular foam and rubber covered foam.

2011-08-30_20-23-31_626.jpg

Captm

Adventurer
Sorry about that, I was busy looking at the photos and skipped over your very comprehensive work sheet. Have you looked at Amtico flooring. I have installed it on yachts and there are many builders who use it do to weight, easy install and excellent wear. We actually have it on the yacht I run, installed directly on the cored deck and is comfortable to stand on all day. It is available in hundreds of patterns, I am partial to the wood grain myself. If you do go this route be sure to use their adhesive. I've seen it installed with other adhesive and it has not worked out as well.

pods8

Explorer
Sorry about that, I was busy looking at the photos and skipped over your very comprehensive work sheet. Have you looked at Amtico flooring. I have installed it on yachts and there are many builders who use it do to weight, easy install and excellent wear. We actually have it on the yacht I run, installed directly on the cored deck and is comfortable to stand on all day. It is available in hundreds of patterns, I am partial to the wood grain myself. If you do go this route be sure to use their adhesive. I've seen it installed with other adhesive and it has not worked out as well.

Not familiar with it, what is the weight on it? Most of the wood and/or vinyl products I've looked at seem like they'd add about 40-50lb to my floor where as a sport foam would be 10lb.

pods8

Explorer
Hey pods... how's the build going?

HB

Slowly plugging away at the non-glamorous panel to panel seams. Probably 75% done with those, actually hoping to have them wrapped up after this weekend (crossed fingers). I had to do a little extra work around the door threshold area because I was getting a little flex in the floor there when I pulled down on the cabover. I laid down some unidirectional carbon reinforcements this week that should stiffen things up nicely. When I get the last of the panel joints down I'm going to load test the cantilever and see how it and the doorway react to see if any additional work is needed.

After that I can start all over with building the upper half. :Wow1: I picked up the LED lighting I'm planning to use and a small 12V hand held battery so I can mock up the roof and hold them up in places to determine where I want them for light dispersion. Similar placement will be determined for the vent(s).

All is taking longer and I'm not able to put as much time on it as expected but I'm still chipping away. :coffeedrink: My 2nd son is due in a few weeks so we'll see what happens for the next couple months, if he's a great baby I'll have downtime while I'm at home for a bit to chip away at some more, if he's not... :Wow1:

Heifer Boy

Adventurer
Ahh... life getting in the way again. This time it's a brand new life!!

Hope everything goes well in a few weeks with your new addition to the Expo world.

:av-7:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad