Pop-tops: are they worth it?

EMrider

Explorer
If you really plan to spend a lot of nights sleeping in the van then a pop top is great. It significantly enhances interior space and allows for a separate sleeping area for two away from most other gear. Very cozy and convenient, and probably worth the cost.

But if you are prone to doing "cost per night" sorts of calculations and don't use it often, then I'd pass.

Good luck with your plans.

R

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
One thing to consider, and it may not be an issue for some folks, but if you live in a community with strict CC&R's, a pop-top or high-top may put you in the Association's crosshairs. Most have pretty strict rules in regards to RV parking.

Just something else to chew on...

sixstringsteve

Explorer
I've been working on a top design and prototyping will begin this month.... Actually, there are two designs being finalized since I don't believe one option fits everyone's needs. I don't see this as being a "one and done" endeavor either.

What, you decided you didn't have enough projects already? ;)

This is great news. I love your designs, and I'm really looking forward to the more economical, spartan version.

Last edited:

agelessGIANT

Observer
Uh Oh.....This is actually happening and Im so Stoked! I picked up a 1985 Vanagon Westy top for cheap and Im prepping it to go on top of My GMC Savana. I was going to use a Eurovan top but like the taller Vanagon top to hold some bedding and pillows. A friend is teaching me how to Fiberglass and its been a lot of fun...I mean work :) I debated between the fixed/pop and don't want to be traveling with the extra height all the time. Im 5'8" and get around in the van pretty good with no top as it is. I can sleep width wise so the pop top will give me even more space closed and a world of height when popped..Im really looking forward to this upgrade.

Attachments

• IMG_2431.jpg
    IMG_2431.jpg
    330.9 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2476.jpg
    IMG_2476.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 85

45Kevin

Adventurer
agelessGIANT
My plan exactly.
I have been eyeing the Eurovan top as well. It is a much lower profile.

Please be generous with pictures and info.

goneagain

Observer
sixstringsteve:

I Am in the same boat you are. I went thru the same trials with the RTT, and quickly came to the exact conclusion you did. verbatim actually :)

I am 6'2" and toured a 24" bubble top. I still hit the ceiling. Also, our van is 10" over stock. Its already huge. I was looking up at the new roof rack thinking, how am I going to reach this thing? There is no way im putting a 24" top on.

We spend 40-60 nights a year in this vehicle (currently using a different vehicle that needs retired, hence the van build).

Most of our trips end up in the wet and rainy places, we arent hot weather peeps.

The SMB penthouse top is a total joke. makes more sense to buy a harley davidson. I really like the CCV, mainly its wide mattress and its double wall canvas.

We have the similar questions, mainly: With the CCV double wall canvas, will it really get cold topside if we have an airheater in the van? Mold sucks, what have folks done to combat this? seems to me mold grows when the top is put away wet and forgotten about.

Another appealing thing about CCV is the high roof, something like 8'. Hellooo inside showers.

At the end of the day, If the top allows us to live comfortably out of the van for a month or two at a time, I think its worth it. If someone wants to do the cost per night thing, they shouldnt be building a 4x4 camper van. get a backpack and a passport.

sixstringsteve

Explorer
My buddy has a high top sprinter and the amount of room inside is insane. However, I need to be able to tow more than 5000lbs, so the sprinter won't work for me.

I really like how easy it is for him to stealth camp in there.

I'm strongly considering tossing a 24" high top on my van. Now... to find one that doesn't look goofy...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal

Members online