Pop-tops: are they worth it?

Navi

Adventurer
Standing up in a fixed top would be awesome. But I'm 6'3, and I'm not sure I want that huge of a top. I might eventually get an aerodynamic style top that my wife can stand up in (she's 5'1) and I won't be stopped over as much.

I have a Vanagon pop-top and love it. But if I am by myself and it is rainy or cold, I leave it down. For solo travel, I believe I'd have no problem at all with a tin-top. Perhaps the same for two people as well. But I have a "Weekender" interior, that is no stove, sink, etc. so really I onky sleep in van, grab lunch inside with the flip-up table. I just tend to hang outside, maybe with my bike-touring / back-packing roots, I expect to be outside when I'm camping.

I'd certainly have a good awning and a roof top box if I was traveling with a tin-top. Perhaps a room that attaches to the awning.

Petrolburner

Explorer
My buddy has a high top sprinter and the amount of room inside is insane. However, I need to be able to tow more than 5000lbs, so the sprinter won't work for me.

I really like how easy it is for him to stealth camp in there.

I'm strongly considering tossing a 24" high top on my van. Now... to find one that doesn't look goofy...

Does this one look goofy? Pretty common Fiberine top I think.

Untitled

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
A chainsaw was on my short list of additions when I had the ambo (w/high roof etc).

Something to consider, 3rd time I've scraped under:

20160915_100131%20Large_zpsee724blx.jpg

tequilasunset

Adventurer
Welp after my experience with the pop top, my vanagon will get a high top... onward and upward as they say, more full time storage... now to watch for low branches and no drive-up windows :D

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Welp after my experience with the pop top, my vanagon will get a high top... onward and upward as they say, more full time storage... now to watch for low branches and no drive-up windows :D

I have found many (most?) drive throughs have 9ft clearance. My sprinter is 8ft and change, so it is only slightly scary.

Honestly having a tall vehicle hasn't been a problem. Turning radius is much more important I think. Of course the vanagon has no problem in that area.

tequilasunset

Adventurer
I have found many (most?) drive throughs have 9ft clearance. My sprinter is 8ft and change, so it is only slightly scary.

Honestly having a tall vehicle hasn't been a problem. Turning radius is much more important I think. Of course the vanagon has no problem in that area.

U turns... Vangons are wicked good in these :D

dcguillory

Adventurer

I only go to In-n-Out as far as fast food so I can only speak for their drive-throughs. I have only found one drive through that i couldn't go through with my van at 9' 3". I'm sure other restaurants have plenty that are shorter

wjeeper

I was fully planning on going the pop-top route, but I snagged a 14 inch tall "TV top" off a conversion van from the local pick-n-pull on half off day....................best $50 I have spent on the van thus far! Only spent one night in it and its a total game changer!

The storage over the front and rear seats, the ability to (almost) stand up and the all weather ability are major wins. Never thought about drive-thru clearance............I should probably see how high the van is before I smush the top at taco bell!:snorkel:

CSG

Explorer
My Pleasureway Traverse is designed similarly to a Westy and has a pop-top. It's useful on occasion but the fiberglass roof is challenging to mod according to PW. I wanted to have a Fantastic vent added but PW discouraged me from that. With the top up, especially with one that has 14 year old fabric, it's not weather tight. Every season I have to patch, spray, etc. It is terrific having standing headroom in a camp spot to be able to stand, change, cook, etc. But in the future (I was 57 when I bought the van in 2008, I'm 65 now), I would much prefer either a high top conversion or, better yet, a tall top van. The older you get, the less crawling around you want to do. That said, I do a fair amount of stealth camping while on my way to and from a place and the top stays down. Bottom line, I would not buy another pop-top van.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal