Pop-tops: are they worth it?

sixstringsteve

Explorer
I like CCV's design a lot, but the lack of communication and vague pricing has put me off for now. It's surprising that so many companies have horrid websites these days. I get it, they're fabricators, not web developers, but I'm surprised they can't see how a decent website will save them and their customers money and frustration. For less than $1000, they could have a clean, informative website with prices, options, FAQs, and better organized info. This is even more important when you factor in the fact that they don't respond via email or phone calls. Sorry to go off on CCV, I really like what they're doing for the van world, and their quality has a great reputation, but I've been frustrated. For 2 weeks I was ready to put money down, VISA in hand, but I couldn't even get through to get my money down. Oh well.

For now I'll save my money and hope something economical comes along. In the meantime I'll be building a set of roller drawers and a sleeping platform inside the van.

I've built over 20 rigs, and my van has cost more than twice as much as any other rig I've built. Once you've thrown a good 4x4 conversion, suspension, bumpers, and a pop top, you're easily in $20k, not including the purchase price of the vehicle. Don't get me wrong, I love my van, but this stuff adds up faster than most other vehicles. But there's a good reason: vans ROCK. I've been so happy with mine.

Last edited:

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
I'm with Farmer F. I feel like I don't have anything to lose waiting a few more months and will get an OzTent to get us through this summer.

mikracer

Adventurer
Here is the verbiage from an email I received from Derek dated 12/7/15. I was inquiring about the mid height top for my RB van. I had good luck with timely emails from him, but if this info is helpful, take it for what it's worth.

"A pop top for your van is 7400 dollars. I only have pictures of the mid top on an extended body van though.

http://s127.photobucket.com/user/ds...d vans/Ford mid profile pop top?sort=3&page=1

This includes the top (white gel coat)
Finished headliner
Six led lights
Double wall canvas
Power lift operated with remote control and back up rocker panel switch
Bed upholstered to match you interior that folds and flips for more standing room

Additional options include
Triple wall insulated canvas add 600
Quit ride top insulation add 300
Roof rack starts at 300
Solar ask for quote
Fantastic fan add 350
Paint to match top add 800

I require half down to reserve your build date and to get all of the parts ordered and the remainder is due upon completion of the project. Build time is two weeks for a regular pop top if your going to leave it with us. 4 days if your going to drive it here and wait for the van to be built.

If you have any questions feel free to call me any time."

zuren

Adventurer
^ that's some good info, thanks. I wonder why they don't just put that on their website.

I'm guessing that prices from vendors fluctuate so they don't want to be constantly updating their website, although most RV websites do publish their products and options with prices so I don't know what the big deal might be. I agree that it is annoying but all of them do it; SMB, CCV, GTRV......none of them publish prices for just the roof install.

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
Another factor I haven't seen mentioned is CG. A fixed high top is at a disadvantage if you anticipate any side-hill action.

tequilasunset

Adventurer
I like CCV's design a lot, but the lack of communication and vague pricing has put me off for now. It's surprising that so many companies have horrid websites these days. I get it, they're fabricators, not web developers, but I'm surprised they can't see how a decent website will save them and their customers money and frustration. For less than $1000, they could have a clean, informative website with prices, options, FAQs, and better organized info. This is even more important when you factor in the fact that they don't respond via email or phone calls. Sorry to go off on CCV, I really like what they're doing for the van world, and their quality has a great reputation, but I've been frustrated. For 2 weeks I was ready to put money down, VISA in hand, but I couldn't even get through to get my money down. Oh well.

For now I'll save my money and hope something economical comes along. In the meantime I'll be building a set of roller drawers and a sleeping platform inside the van.

I've built over 20 rigs, and my van has cost more than twice as much as any other rig I've built. Once you've thrown a good 4x4 conversion, suspension, bumpers, and a pop top, you're easily in $20k, not including the purchase price of the vehicle. Don't get me wrong, I love my van, but this stuff adds up faster than most other vehicles. But there's a good reason: vans ROCK. I've been so happy with mine.

As I stated before...

Matt is my point person...
matt@coloradcampervan.com
Matt Dunkerly
(970) 699-6000
Colorado Camper Van LLC

I am going in June to get a top for my Safari, 1.5 weeks install time for the top without any additional work. Drive up fly back, fly back drive home... with lots of camping coming and going :)

Just pick up the phone and ask for Matt... I haven't any probs, and when I have left a message I got a call back pretty quickly.

I got a firm quote on my Safari too... not vague.

tequilasunset

Adventurer
I have seen people hint that there will be another top on the market at some point, but I haven't seen anyone post a timeline.

Back in my day in sales we called this "Vaporware"... the wait can be long time, then when the first ones are built there is the shakedown and update/change process to go through. When I spoke to Das Mule they had built a pop top for a friend, they have no plans on doing anything in the near future... one and done sometimes is all it takes.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Back in my day in sales we called this "Vaporware"... the wait can be long time, then when the first ones are built there is the shakedown and update/change process to go through. When I spoke to Das Mule they had built a pop top for a friend, they have no plans on doing anything in the near future... one and done sometimes is all it takes.

Call it whatever you want but the fact is I've been working on a top design and prototyping will begin this month. I posted about it a while back in my build thread. Actually, there are two designs being finalized since I don't believe one option fits everyone's needs. I don't see this as being a "one and done" endeavor either.

tequilasunset

Adventurer
Call it whatever you want but the fact is I've been working on a top design and prototyping will begin this month. I posted about it a while back in my build thread. Actually, there are two designs being finalized since I don't believe one option fits everyone's needs. I don't see this as being a "one and done" endeavor either.

THAT IS AWESOME!
I have seen your work and it is outstanding! Please don't tell me you will be doing Astro/Safari tops... my buyers remorse may kick in and I am not sure I could handle it :)

fudge

I hear ya on the cost, but man I love my van as well! As far as is a pop top worth it? I'm about to find out, my van is at CCV right now getting a mid height. Actually, I'm flying out to pick it up this Friday. Sorry to hear you had so many communication issues. I have spoken with Matt and he was super prompt with returning my call and answering my questions. We'll see how everything turns out and if it was worth it.

Also, my drawers/platform which I built for the back as well. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    516.9 KB · Views: 66

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal

Members online