Post pictures of your Land Rover.

MarkIIa

Observer
More details on this engine please!

Its a factory fitted Isuzu 4BD1, these were fitted by Jaguar Rover Australia (JRA) who assembled the vehicles from CKD kits for the Aus army contracts in the 80's. Coupled to the 4 speed LT95 gearbox and later the LT85/LT230 combo, but the LT95 is stronger. This engine enjoys breaking weak gearboxes.
The engine was first used by JRA in stage 1 series 3 109s. Another Aussie anomoly was the tray top version of the 110 was actually a 120, with the chassis/frame extended by JRA at time of production.
The 6x6 Aus army Land Rovers had the turbocharged version of this engine, which is a popular upgrade to the civillian 110s. I haven't done this conversion yet as I am happy with the performance already.
These engines have fantastic low down torque and the mid 80's coil sprung Landies have the strongest driveline/CVs etc of any civillian Landy.
This engine was offered alongside the 3.5 V8 donk.

You will find considerable more info on AULRO.com, as this motor/vehicle combo is held in high esteem for reliability and off road ability. The military version is outlined under '110 Perentie' on remlr.com

Hope that helps.

EDIT: self indulgent video of a recent adventure:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjPgQ1cCsM4"]YouTube - Wet 4BD1 County[/ame]

Last edited:

Charo

Observer
Why couldn't you bring the Rover back with you?

Had to be at least 25 years old to import it. I was told it was the very first 110 imported into Kenya in 1983. It was originally a 2 door hardtop, but somewhere along the way someone added rear doors and transformed it into a station wagon. I kept going with the theme and made it into a convertible. The guy I sold it to put a brand new crate Toyota 1HZ diesel and 5 speed in it. Bet it will run!

My old 1984 Land Rover one-ten. Goes where I need to go and does what I expect of it. A great old truck - simple, reliable and fun to use.

LandRover007small.jpg

Very cool. 84 high cap, always liked that trident green color. Looks great for its age.

glr

Observer
Its a factory fitted Isuzu 4BD1, these were fitted by Jaguar Rover Australia (JRA) who assembled the vehicles from CKD kits for the Aus army contracts in the 80's. Coupled to the 4 speed LT95 gearbox and later the LT85/LT230 combo, but the LT95 is stronger. This engine enjoys breaking weak gearboxes.
The engine was first used by JRA in stage 1 series 3 109s. Another Aussie anomoly was the tray top version of the 110 was actually a 120, with the chassis/frame extended by JRA at time of production.
The 6x6 Aus army Land Rovers had the turbocharged version of this engine, which is a popular upgrade to the civillian 110s. [/url]

I have a 110 HCPU with the turbo charged version of this engine and it goes like **** off a shovel! It will do 100mph on the highway.

Correus

Adventurer
Had to be at least 25 years old to import it. I was told it was the very first 110 imported into Kenya in 1983. It was originally a 2 door hardtop, but somewhere along the way someone added rear doors and transformed it into a station wagon. I kept going with the theme and made it into a convertible. The guy I sold it to put a brand new crate Toyota 1HZ diesel and 5 speed in it. Bet it will run!

That sucks!! But I think your right about it running!!!

You know...you could have done what Radar O'Reily did with the jeep - sent one piece home a ta time.

PKG P38

Observer
More pics of the Evoque please!

Yeah, yeah, the Yellow One looks good too ;)

i think the evoque looks great in person, there will also be a 4 door version offered as well that was shown in the press photos on display.

i have a few more photos of it but those two are the best...too many people around it to get any more good shots.

brushogger

Explorer
Finally got to visit and drive the new baby. It's been a while since I drove an old school truck with no power steering or syncro trannie. The body was spectacular. It has great paint and bedlinered interior The frame not so much. Most of it was surface rust, but there are a few places we'll be cutting out the bad and welding in new. It needs a tune up and carb rebuild. It also has the usual rover leaks It ran surprisingly well though. He said the first thing he'll be getting is tires. He still got a great deal on it overall.
a6cd095c-c6a4-4c53.jpg

a6cd095c-c6c5-04cc.jpg

a6cd095c-c6dc-41b2.jpg

a6cd095c-c6f8-5a29.jpg

a6cd095c-c712-5507.jpg

roverrocks

Expedition Leader
i think the evoque looks great in person, there will also be a 4 door version offered as well that was shown in the press photos on display.

i have a few more photos of it but those two are the best...too many people around it to get any more good shots.
The eeevoque is a Heresy. Should be burned at the stake and the remains buried in a lime pit.

Tom B

Observer
Some of my recent Rover shots,
I love the big rock in front of the wheel. Some things are universal. :elkgrin:

Mike and Myles

...and the 110 in the ditch forgot his big rock! :sombrero:

Great shots from Tanzania. I thoroughly enjoyed all the Land Rover sightings during my stint in East Africa. And REALLY MISS my One Ten. It was 23 years old when I moved back to the States and I couldn't bring it with me. :(

Thanks! Too bad you were so close on the import date. And you're right, plenty of enjoyable Rover sightings that you just don't get here in the states. My favorite involved a baboon trying to liberate anything and everything from the top of a 110's fully loaded roof rack. You just don't see that here...unless it's me getting trying to setup camp late at night.

dr_kaiser

Here's the most recent shot, from last weekend....
035.jpg

And an older shot testing it's capabilities at a local offroad park.
7.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven