Post your Camp Awnings

Not off a vehicle but still the best tarp/shelter I've ever used. Manufacturer is quite proud of it too (~$200 for a 9 x11). It's silicone coated polyester or nylon so it stretches and can put up with a lot of abuse. We've had a small campfire under it and as long as you don't let it get too big, it deals with the heat. With it being stretchy, it's easy to grab a branch or pole and use as an upright in a corner, then tie it down (we made a very useful/needed shelter off a raft with two ores and a couple of coolers as tie down points in less than 2 minutes). It scrunches down to less than the size of half a football and weighs ~1.5lbs. Pretty cool, meant for a backpacker shelter.

Normally I could gives a rats ***** about most of these things but I really think these tarps are cool. Did a 45 river mile rafting trip in central AK and 1 of the guys had these. Cary them with you in a backpack and can make a shelter anywhere, little storage space, little weight (especially in your wallet)

http://www.hilleberg.com/home/products/tarp/tarp.php

IMG_7040.jpg

jerdog53

Explorer
Our Snow Peak Hexa Tarp in the large size....

DSC04754_zpse3554312.jpg

DSC04758_zpsdd28447f.jpg

DSC04753_zps0cb2452b.jpg

DSC04535_zpsebbcd2ef.jpg

DSC04316_zpsa151d653.jpg

:coffee:

parapyropig

Gorilla Wrangler
SUPERFLY...

IMG_7015_zpsc15c107d.jpg

IMG_7019_zps9445ee95.jpg

IMG_7017_zps0d8bfe0a.jpg

30' x 20' 12 mil tarp with 4' sections of military camo support poles, 1/2" tent poles (to strengthen the sides), reflective guy lines, Nite eyze figure 9s for tentioners, military tent stakes & screw augers for windy days. I can fit my expedition trailer, FJ, and safari-style tent at the same time. It's withstood sustained 30MPH winds & ~45MPH gusts. And LOTS & LOTS of south Florida rain & heat.

I can dip the ends if I want to catch & collect rainwater. :)

Honu

lost on the mainland
parapyropig
Like the curvature that it has :) so what are 4' military support poles ? are they whats making the edges look like they have support ? and how did you make it ? sleeve or ?

parapyropig

Gorilla Wrangler
30' of telescoping fiberglass tent poles give the sides rigidity and are attached to the tarp via tied pieces of paracord.

The 4' aluminum poles and tent stakes are from this:

5934b27a78f5d85750b00a208b5a1f28_zps523de1ab.jpg

Plans:

ABC96259-8DAA-4E7B-8888-9176F1CECB70_zpssrmgk5uw.jpg

Sorry that the description is written in Parapyropigese. Didn't think I'd ever share with the rest of the class. Should be legible enough.

The paracord runners allow multiple stakes to secure the guys & tension the ends. They distribute the tension across as many grommets as possible to reduce the chance of them failing. Most original grommets have already been replaced with genuine brass after being reinforced with Gorilla Tape (appropriately).

I set this up for multi-day stays, usually, or to set up a work area when I'm frakking sick of getting frakking rocketnozzled by the frakking south Florida sun. Not to mention keeping all of my Tepui goodness out of as much of the sun as I can.

This concept was upscaled from the one I used at the Ouray KOA during the FJ Summit in 2013.

If this doesn't last as long I expect it to (read: when it wears out), I'll pony up for a good 18 mil industrial strength tarp.

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
so where does one get fiberglass telescoping poles ? kinda curious to a idea I was thinking ? but using some canvas instead since my old canvas awning was like 10-20 degrees cooler than other canopies
10 when in the sun about 20 when under some shade trees etc.....
was really nice here in AZ but canvas is heavy ?

parapyropig

Gorilla Wrangler
Fiberglass tent poles by the frakton can be gotten from eBay. I got three 27ft pole kits that I used to make two 32ft sections (with spare sections & shock cord left over).

Use the heaviest, highest quality tarp you can afford, or, even better, use whatcha got on hand. And who cares it's heavy? Not like you gotta carry it. :)

GET REAL MADE-IN-THE-USA BRASS REPLACEMENT GROMMETS. You'll never regret it.

BTW, the "tarp tape" that's sold to repair rips & pinholes in tarps is 100% guano. Glue patches down with shoe goop or some other adhesive that's flexible & tolerates the elements.

Seldom Seen

Observer
Where did you get that and do you have any more picts? I've been looking to get one of the Kijaro canopies for a while and this looks very similar but when I did some searching on them it seems as they're no longer available? I like that they also have a screen room that attaches.

The Car Tarp has been discontinued but a call to the Big Agnes store in Steamboat Springs CO got me one. Give 'em a call and see if they still have some new old stock on the shelf. wearbap.com

Chris Boyd

Explorer
Where did you get that and do you have any more picts? I've been looking to get one of the Kijaro canopies for a while and this looks very similar but when I did some searching on them it seems as they're no longer available? I like that they also have a screen room that attaches.

Kelty sells a similar one and now Adventure Trailers is partnering on one with Nemo that they've been showing around. Check their site.

Kcdude

Adventurer
Kelty sells a similar one and now Adventure Trailers is partnering on one with Nemo that they've been showing around. Check their site.

I like the Nemo design a bit better than the Big Agnes as it appears there are tensioners at the corners. I found the BA a bit difficult to set up by myself and this would help to place the poles and then tension it.

Here is a link to a pic at AT, click view larger and scroll through to see the tensioners http://store.adventuretrailers.com/habitat-awning/#PhotoSwipe1408806888374

IdahoXJ

IdahoXJ
I recently rearranged the hatchback area of my XJ into a chuck wagon set-up. The opened hatchback supplies some cover over the top but I wanted more for shade and rain cover. I was going to rig up a tarp gizmo of some kind then I found in my bone pile an old tent rainfly and the tent shock-corded poles ... then the idea hit me, "this would be perfect for a quick and easy awning ... easy up and easy down". And, best of all, I already had the parts to make it work. To aid the hatch back to stay up I use my telescoping trek pole inserted between the hatch and the bumper. I'm still tweeking the chuck wagon arrangement to make it more convenient, secure as I travel over bumps and consistent.
026.JPG
028.JPG
029.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk