Post your Mitsubishi Pajero Pics

SoCalMonty

Explorer
New rack for the rear!

Stuff used/cost:
Haul Master hitch mounted cargo basket, steel, ~$57 @ Harbor Freight w/ coupon ($69 without)
Spare tire bracket, $free
3 pcs 1/2" square steel, 48", ~$18 @ Home Depot
Smittybilt jerry can holders, $29 ea. @ Amazon
Spray paint

I omitted the 2" square tube that would normally run down the center of the rack; each side is supposed to bolt to that. Instead, I welded the 2 halves directly together to make more room for the gas can holders off the sides.The rack was centered and then tacked to the spare tire bracket where it sat. Then I added the support struts with the 1/2" tubing. I can't ever see me loading more than 150 lbs on this thing, and it's plenty strong enough for that (I can hang on the back of it @ 230 lbs). Spare will be going on the roof.

I will potentially lose all visibility out the back window depending on what I load in it, but it's not a daily driver and I've got side mirrors, so I'm not too terribly concerned about that.

The rack width is about 51 3/4"...with the jerry can racks on either side @ ~8.75" each, they stick out a few inches on the sides. Those are bolted on, so if that does become an issue on a narrow trail, they can come off in about 3 minutes.

20131206_165008_resized.jpg

20131206_165018_resized.jpg

20131206_165029_resized.jpg

20131208_114819_resized.jpg

20131208_114837_resized.jpg

20131208_114903_resized.jpg

Last edited:

SoCalMonty

Explorer
thats alot of weight on that door. :Wow1:

Not really. The spare alone was 80 lbs. With the rack and 2 full gas cans, it's nearly the same weight as the spare. I'm not sure what else I'll load it with, but I'm planning on lighter/bulkier items (dirty/muddy things, maybe the sleeping gear, or a tote with clothing/bedding...etc). Heavy stuff will go behind the seats. It's to save space in the cab since I usually sleep inside when I camp. Needed to free some room up for overnighters.

I thought about adding a telescoping or removeable "kickstand" for heavier loads; either to pin to the bumper to share the load, or to go from the rack to the ground when the gate is open...but I'll experiment a bit with it first. The trunk and water jug in that pic were empty, I just threw some stuff up there to get an idea of what fits in it. :)

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Not really. The spare alone was 80 lbs. With the rack and 2 full gas cans, it's nearly the same weight as the spare. I'm not sure what else I'll load it with, but I'm planning on lighter/bulkier items (dirty/muddy things, maybe the sleeping gear, or a tote with clothing/bedding...etc). Heavy stuff will go behind the seats. It's to save space in the cab since I usually sleep inside when I camp. Needed to free some room up for overnighters.

I thought about adding a telescoping or removeable "kickstand" for heavier loads; either to pin to the bumper to share the load, or to go from the rack to the ground when the gate is open...but I'll experiment a bit with it first. The trunk and water jug in that pic were empty, I just threw some stuff up there to get an idea of what fits in it. :)

Where is your spare now?

SoCalMonty

Explorer
Where is your spare now?

It's going on the roof. Test lifted it up a few times and it's really not a big deal. Not the ideal location, but it's the affordable one. Had it like that on my Jeep for a while too...I may just get a small inexpensive rack mainly just for the tire. Unfortunately, I prefer a cargo box to a rack, but I don't think there's gonna be room for both a box AND the spare because of the giant moon roof.

jeeeeep.jpg

Whatever floats your goat.

Trading a perfectly good spare tire carrying point for a goofy looking cargo basket, that, I'd put money on breaking or causing damage to the door... doesn't quite make sense to me. But, whatever floats your goat hombre.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Whatever floats your goat.

Trading a perfectly good spare tire carrying point for a goofy looking cargo basket, that, I'd put money on breaking or causing damage to the door... doesn't quite make sense to me. But, whatever floats your goat hombre.

I fully agree, much better to put the spare on the back and the other smaller stuff on the roof rack.. And this is post #1000 for this thread, sweet!

nckwltn

Explorer
Not really. The spare alone was 80 lbs.

that is a pretty awesome setup... but weight carried out and away isn't the same as weight carried really close to the door. I would be concerned that the piece mounted to the door itself would bend or tweak the door. Will be really interested to hear how the setup works in a trip report!

Or drive behind him....

Seriously, SoCal... the static and dynamic loads which your rack applies to the mount and the door is much different than what it was designed for...

SoCalMonty

Explorer
Thank you, Mudrunner. Too many armchair engineers. ;) It's not my first rodeo, but I guess I appreciate the concern. It was *supposed* to be canted toward the gate, so the weight would be concentrated on the rail that rests on top of the bracket.

With a working load of under 150 lbs (not much heavier than the 35" wheels some have mounted there), it should be just fine. I will probably be able to keep it well under that. I've been trying to devise a way to move the cans to the roof with the spare because of the width of the cans off the basket.

As for rearward visibility, if you've ever driven a moving truck, panel truck or work van with no rear glass, you won't miss it too much. The height out the rear was worthless for reversing while off roading anyway; you couldn't see anything useful.

PS, don't go off roading. That's dangerous too. ;) :smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk