post your Suburban pics

Renntag

Adventurer
He maintains 2 build threads. All the details are contained within.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Rockhounder

Explorer
our 88 V-10 movie men in black movie conversion, retro style

Hey there,

Just wanted to let you guys see a current project I am doing on one of our suburbans. It started out life as a ready-for-the-junk-heap 1988 v-10 that we rescued off craigslist, and then decided to make it into a vehicle for an upcoming production (think if the M.I.B. styled it, and the movie is set in the 70's). It is mostly done, still have to make the futuristic/70's comm gear that will be based around a HAM antenna array with other "alien" small antennas.

We did all the work ourselves, the nastiest part was stripping out all the interior, as it literally was mildewing/rotting/ sloughing off everywhere...
Then we sanded all the old paint off, did some minor kitty hair in a few cancer spots along the a pillar and rear door jambs. The paint is a semi matte hotrod paint base, 3 colors; black metallic on top, fading to a dark steel metallic on the sides, to a lighter silvery steel on the lower body. You can see the differences in the rear pic, and also the wheel centers are the top black, and the beauty rims are painted the side dark steel color.

Mechanically, had to replace rear axle with matching ratio so we could engage 4wd, rebuilt tranny to heavy duty towing package, rebuilt upper end of engine, and good to go. Found some retro/vintage looking tire tread patterns, made some scratchbuilt vintage military looking mud guards, and added the rear tire and gas can mounts. (I know the cans are not vintage, but will replace those when filming) The mounts go through the outer door panels and mount to extra reinforcing gusseting inside the door panels.

Interior, we put ostrich leather interior, with color adjustable ceiling lighting.

More goodies to come, but here it is so far...IMG_5224.jpgIMG_5223.jpgIMG_5222.jpgIMG_5225.jpgIMG_5217.jpgIMG_5226.jpgIMG_5219.jpgIMG_5220.jpgIMG_5221.jpg

Judoka

Learning To Live
I have been looking through here trying to find a pic of a 3/4 ton Suburban with 33 inch tires but I have not seen one. Anyone have...or know of a pic of 33 and a 3 inch lift?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Renntag

Adventurer
...We did all the work ourselves, the nastiest part was stripping out all the interior, as it literally was mildewing/rotting/ sloughing off everywhere...
Then we sanded all the old paint off, did some minor kitty hair in a few cancer spots along the a pillar and rear door jambs. The paint is a semi matte hotrod paint base, 3 colors; black metallic on top, fading to a dark steel metallic on the sides, to a lighter silvery steel on the lower body. You can see the differences in the rear pic, and also the wheel centers are the top black, and the beauty rims are painted the side dark steel color.

Mechanically, had to replace rear axle with matching ratio so we could engage 4wd, rebuilt tranny to heavy duty towing package, rebuilt upper end of engine, and good to go. Found some retro/vintage looking tire tread patterns, made some scratchbuilt vintage military looking mud guards, and added the rear tire and gas can mounts. (I know the cans are not vintage, but will replace those when filming) The mounts go through the outer door panels and mount to extra reinforcing gusseting inside the door panels.

Nice looking ride. Build thread?

Interior, we put ostrich leather interior, with color adjustable ceiling lighting.
Do you plan to share some pictures? Love to see multi colour lighting and interior.

Smithy

Observer
I have been looking through here trying to find a pic of a 3/4 ton Suburban with 33 inch tires but I have not seen one. Anyone have...or know of a pic of 33 and a 3 inch lift?

Mine from a few years ago. 33s and no lift, no crank, if this helps.

Judoka

Learning To Live
Thank you Smithy! That is the next generation after mine, but it gives me an idea.

Rockhounder

Explorer
thank you, I am cutting the support gusseting for the roof rack this weekend, will take more detailed pics and post them. I do eventually want to do a tiny lift, at least a couple of inches, and when current tires wear out, go with a little bigger (they are 31's now, possible go to 33's)

Smithy

Observer
Hey there,

Just wanted to let you guys see a current project I am doing on one of our suburbans. It started out life as a ready-for-the-junk-heap 1988 v-10 that we rescued off craigslist, and then decided to make it into a vehicle for an upcoming production (think if the M.I.B. styled it, and the movie is set in the 70's). It is mostly done, still have to make the futuristic/70's comm gear that will be based around a HAM antenna array with other "alien" small antennas.

We did all the work ourselves, the nastiest part was stripping out all the interior, as it literally was mildewing/rotting/ sloughing off everywhere...

Where did you find the Travelquest emblem? Or is that homemade? I may need one :)

Rockhounder

Explorer
Where did you find the Travelquest emblem? Or is that homemade? I may need one :)

It says TRAVELQUEST/RECON

I made it on Autocad,and made a 3-d print, then made resin castings. I then aged the logos, to make them look like old 30 year old badging. I next plan to make a custom badgeplate to go over the chevy logo on the radiator grille

I can reproduce. or make custom 3-d badging for any here if they wish. Make it look new or old-n-worn if you want to make it look like it's been on the vehicle for decades.....

Renntag

Adventurer
I next plan to make a custom badgeplate to go over the chevy logo on the radiator grille
I'd be interested in what that turns out like. I am missing the bow tie insert on my factory grille and have been thinking of something creative short of replacing the entire grille assembly.

I can reproduce. or make custom 3-d badging for any here if they wish. Make it look new or old-n-worn if you want to make it look like it's been on the vehicle for decades.....
Yes please ! Just sent the pigeon with a PM.

Erik N

Adventurer

Here. The driveway pic is w/ a set of worn 255/85/16's, the gravel pic is w/ new m55's.

[EDIT] It is stock height, not lifted. I did replace the saggy rear springs, though.

And a couple of vid's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB-wgljh9_I&feature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp8bn9H1V-8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nh67QDkb-o&feature=youtu.be

Attachments

• IMG_4068.JPG
    IMG_4068.JPG
    446.8 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_3888.jpg
    IMG_3888.jpg
    534.8 KB · Views: 109
Last edited: