Post your tents

Honu

lost on the mainland
been looking at a jet tent seems to fit what I need in many ways
curious as one guy in Australia said he had issues with the fabric wearing a bit where it contacted the poles after a few months ? any thoughts ?

seems if it was a bigger issue we would have heard more from turbo/black wolf and others
but would love any other feedback etc..
I am looking at the 30X :)
so no leaks anywhere not even a few drips seeping in ?
also setup with the back loop thing ? setup time ?

thanks

Last edited:

LawnDart-XJ

Observer
curious as one guy in Australia said he had issues with the fabric wearing a bit where it contacted the poles after a few months ? any thoughts ?

seems if it was a bigger issue we would have heard more from turbo/black wolf and others
I am looking at the 30 :)

thanks

no drips we did get some water through the seam by the door zipper but that was more to not having the awning set up for the storm correctly. i have since sealed that seam better with seam sealer. I would think the issue of fabric wearing would be more with the original OZ tents as the poles are on the inside of the tent the jet tent structure is on the outside connected to loops coming off the main tent. Setup is very fast to get it standing. less then two min from out of bag to standing. what does take some time is getting it staked out and then al the guy lines if it is windy. the window awnings work great in the rain also. hope this helps

Honu

lost on the mainland
the guy who had it wear seemed a bit of a pain I know his leaked got it replaced said it leaked again ? and had the wear issues ? but one out of how many ? so again thats something I listen to but think something might have been going on he said when it was folded on his rack ? so unless he had it on two bars in some strange way ??? ya know the types no matter what they find some thing wrong ? and again what was his wear ? discolored canvas or worn through etc..
I know the importers have not heard of this will all their tents they have sold but figured I would ask :)

so yes helps a lot :) especially with the down pour and winds you had !!!!

do you have the peaked awnings or plan on them ? that was one of the things I was also looking at :) for sure the tent is on my short list with the safari bow tents from equpt and bundu and the spring bar
the oztent is going to be smaller than we want so thats off the list the two bow tents have cool extra rooms and might just fit :) so its down to about 4 tents for us

any more pics would be cool very few reviews with good pics of these jet tents :)

curious if you thought of a spring bar and what made you choose this ?

very cool tents IMHO :) and thanks again :)

LawnDart-XJ

Observer
Glad to help in anyway i may be able to. I will post up some more pics in a week as we are going on a 4 day trip to the UP of Michigan. We did get the "X" model to get the extra room and really like the fact we can get a queen air bed back there with room on both sides. That leaves the main part of the tent as a "living room". Yes the peaked awning sides are on our short list but the jeep has ben getting all the toys in the past couple of months

Honu

lost on the mainland
corrected I am looking at the F30X :) forgot the X above earlier
cant wait to see more pics

joneseyyy

Explorer

thanks

My turbo tent held up beautifully in the Torrential rain and consistent wet weather over 3 days at the Northeast Overland Rally. No leaks, drips, wet spots on the inside, etc. I've got probably 15 nights in it with zero issues.

dcoy

Adventurer
Jet Tent and Camping Lab

IMG_0151.jpg
Here's my Jet Tent with the Camping Lab RTT on the trailer, just north of the Peaks. Both tents are cool, but in different ways.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
:sombrero:

Love the smell of canvas.
Anyone here remember their grandfather saying don't touch the canvas when its raining or it will leak where you touch it? 2 -3 of of the kids would sit in there daring each other to do it.:coffeedrink:

dcoy

Adventurer

thanks

Whoops. I posted a picture of my Jet Tent, but I forgot to chime in to the response to Honu. No issues here with leaking, and that's with the rainfly off (didn't realize a downpour was coming in). Setup time is nice and fast (but I don't have an "X" tent) although more staking is probably necessary in windier settings. Packing up does take longer to get the tent to fit in it's bag. I think I will get a few extra straps to help compress it down to size. Haven't had it long enough to know about wear issues, although it does seem, overall, to be very well made (unfortunately made in China though).

For Expedition back country travel I prefer the Cabelas Extreme Weather tent. With all the accessories mine was over $900 but I have the peace of mind that my back country trips will not be cut short or made uncomfortable by whatever mother nature decides to throw at me. I really like the size and features of this thing. I can set up two camp chairs in the front vestibule and still have room for a table to use for my camp kitchen. Here is a picture from Cabela's website:

:sombrero:

Love the smell of canvas.

Me too, which brings me to my next "tents":

Next up we have my ultimate Glamping lodge. A 16' Teepee that can be used for Rendezvous trips as well as a hunting camp that few others are likely to have. I purchased this at a garage sale for $150 while looking for a fireplace for my larger wall tent. Here is a picture from the Rendezvous this past Summer:

And next is my 16x20 wall tent. Purchased used for $300 from a scout troop that was downsizing and going with newer camping gear. Not exactly for expedition travel but sure to fit the entire family, kitchen and living room:

For the base camp trips I use our pop up trailer, but that gets left behind when I go deep into the back country on true expeditions.

Also, there are trips where I prefer to take 2 cheap 3-4 man dome tents. These come in handy when I cannot find a large space to pitch my 12x12 Cabelas XWT tent.

Kevin

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
Whoops. I posted a picture of my Jet Tent, but I forgot to chime in to the response to Honu. No issues here with leaking, and that's with the rainfly off (didn't realize a downpour was coming in). Setup time is nice and fast (but I don't have an "X" tent) although more staking is probably necessary in windier settings. Packing up does take longer to get the tent to fit in it's bag. I think I will get a few extra straps to help compress it down to size. Haven't had it long enough to know about wear issues, although it does seem, overall, to be very well made (unfortunately made in China though).

thanks :) interesting over seas ? are Oztents made their also ? have to look into that for curious sakes

dcoy

Adventurer
are Oztents made there also ?

I do believe that Oztents are made in China also (It's the same company, after all). I believe they do have good quality control as the Oztents I saw at OEX 2011 also looked solid (like the Jet Tents). It's just that with the takeover of most manufacturing by China, I like the idea of spreading some of the wealth elsewhere, maybe even America, as long as the quality is there.

LawnDart-XJ

Observer
I do believe that Oztents are made in China also (It's the same company, after all). I believe they do have good quality control as the Oztents I saw at OEX 2011 also looked solid (like the Jet Tents). It's just that with the takeover of most manufacturing by China, I like the idea of spreading some of the wealth elsewhere, maybe even America, as long as the quality is there.
They are made in China. I was not very happy when i first pulled it out of the bag thinking it was still made in Aus. but then after reading some forums I understood they just could not compete. so they tried to put the best quality control they could put in place. I am very happy with our "X" ....noticed you mentioned about rolling i back up i had a hige problem getting it back in the back with the extra room added. I found if you lay it on it's side the "flake" all of the extra material out from between the legs fold each section flat then roll it up. I can get mine back to the same size it cam everytime now. hope that helps.

Honu

lost on the mainland
saw these bags and thought they were pretty cool idea
http://www.bigfootbag.com/bag-chooser.php?size=medium&type=cargo

to bad the small is not a bit longer ? had thought the kodiak come with that strap roll type bag and these were close

depending on what tent I end up with had thought of a Med or Small one of these to put my tent in along with the footprint and some other stuff ? might be a easier way to pack it up etc..

or go to a good canvas maker shop and have a roll out type bag with straps made as I hate hate hate stuffing things back into long thin bags :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3