Post your tents

postalWagon

Adventurer
I run a MSR "Fasr Stash" tent. It has good set up and take down time. Packs up to fit into the bottom of a "kit" bag with the rest of my sleeping gear. The wedge shape handles the wind well when pointed the right way. Very low moisture build up even in high humidity enviornment.

GFA

Adventurer
I refuse to buy from REI because they support land closure organizations like The Sierra Club. :mad: Instead, I buy from Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops or The Sportsman's Guide or any of a number of other companies that support keeping public lands open for all of the public.

Absolutely agree. REI is not 4 wheel friendly. Don't support them closing access to your favorite adventure spots.

I will never buy from them.

I did not know this but I still will shop REI for some things simply because of the return policy. My Kingdom 6 (which I have decided to return in favor of a Kodiak) was mostly paid for by a 4yr old pair of Asolo's I couldn't get to break in and was subsequently returned... Ultimately, I guess I'm taking my money back from REI and giving it to Cabela's 4 yrs later.

I just wish there were a Cabela's retail store within 400 miles of me.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
I did not know this but I still will shop REI for some things simply because of the return policy.

There are plenty of companies with generous return policies who don't support land closure. I can't remember the last time I bought something that I wound up needing to return, but I guess I just make sure I know what I want with absolute certainty before I spend any money.

In my opinion, REI's land-closure stance is a much bigger "negative" than is the "positive" of their return policy. I'd never buy something from REI even if they were the only source on Earth for it - there's simply nothing I need badly enough that justifies backstabbing the efforts of Blueribbon Coalition, UFWDA, ARRA, CORVA, COHVCO, USA-All, and every other shared-access organization that's out there fighting to keep public lands open for ALL forms of responsible recreation from the closure efforts of a few elitists.

In my mind, the anti-access groups' efforts to exclude 4-wheelers from public lands is akin to excluding women, or excluding Blacks, or excluding children, or discriminating against any other group for no good reason. Public lands are for ALL of the public to enjoy, and until REI, the Sierra Club, the Center for Biological Diversity, and every other anti-access understands that, they can go **** themselves. We're not destroying public lands! We're the ones who are out there volunteering our time and resources working side-by-side with the Forest Service and BLM on resource management projects because we are the TRUE environmentalists. We don't just sit there in our armchairs and write checks to the "environmental" organizations so that we feel good about ourselves - we're the ones who live, work, and recreate in our public lands and depend on present and future environmental health and public accessibility.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
There are plenty of companies with generous return policies who don't support land closure. I can't remember the last time I bought something that I wound up needing to return, but I guess I just make sure I know what I want with absolute certainty before I spend any money.

In my opinion, REI's land-closure stance is a much bigger "negative" than is the "positive" of their return policy. I'd never buy something from REI even if they were the only source on Earth for it - there's simply nothing I need badly enough that justifies backstabbing the efforts of Blueribbon Coalition, UFWDA, ARRA, CORVA, COHVCO, USA-All, and every other shared-access organization that's out there fighting to keep public lands open for ALL forms of responsible recreation from the closure efforts of a few elitists.

In my mind, the anti-access groups' efforts to exclude 4-wheelers from public lands is akin to excluding women, or excluding Blacks, or excluding children, or discriminating against any other group for no good reason. Public lands are for ALL of the public to enjoy, and until REI, the Sierra Club, the Center for Biological Diversity, and every other anti-access understands that, they can go **** themselves. We're not destroying public lands! We're the ones who are out there volunteering our time and resources working side-by-side with the Forest Service and BLM on resource management projects because we are the TRUE environmentalists. We don't just sit there in our armchairs and write checks to the "environmental" organizations so that we feel good about ourselves - we're the ones who live, work, and recreate in our public lands and depend on present and future environmental health and public accessibility.

Face to desk.
Good to see you’re passionate over land use and motorized recreation but there is a forum you can REI bash all day long without junking up the tent thread. Yes I know you are a TRUE environmentalist and you have to get the word out by telling other to **** themselves.
Start here.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/forums/49-Making-a-Difference-Conservation-and-Land-Use

kjp1969

Explorer
After seeing Nathan's pic above, I had to post my own from the same trip.
1213228740_PbK5J-L.jpg
It's a Eureka that I bought from a member of ExPo.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
. . . there is a forum you can REI bash all day long without junking up the tent thread.

Sorry.

To help get the thread back on track, I use the Coleman Instant Tent 6 when I'm out on trails that are too rough for me to tow my Lifetime Tent Trailer.

2000007831_500.jpg

BOHICA

Adventurer
Bohica,

I'm getting ready to buy a Tepui RTT and have an FJ with a flat utility Baja Rack. How does yours ride? Do you notice a little extra "tipping" when turning corners or with a crosswind on the highway?

Any issues with the Tepui brand? Is it too much trouble to mount on a rack for a weekend trip and then remove it when you come home?

Your pictures are great! Which awnings are you using? Could you let me know what sizes you are using for the side and rear of your FJ?

And is that the $600 cookbox that I see in your FJ?

Sorry if its too many questions.

Thanks,
Roland

Sorry for the late reply...just returned from a 2-week motorcycle trip.

I initially was looking at the camping lab RTT but weren't available for a couple of months. So far I am happy with the Tepui. No "tipping" or crosswind issues. The only downside is the bulkiness and weight as I am unable to remove after each trip so it stays on my roof full time. The only installation issue is with the Baja EXP rack...with only a couple of inches clearance between the roof and the rack it is extremely difficult to get your hands between the two to attach the mounting hardware, but once installed and in my case since the RTT will remain installed full time it really doesn't pose any problems. The awnings are ARB 4' and 6.5' and the kitchen is the Kanz (on an ARB fridge slide) which is a little expensive but well built, lightweight and suits my needs.

Xterabl

Adventurer
Co-opski,
REially it's quite sad you don't recognize the urgency of the situation, being way out there in BFE.
But don't worry, it is most certainly coming to a tundra near you.
Don't look for any sympathy when EPA decides you cannot access any land that might be proven to have 10% significance for carbon production (and hence environmental destruction) within the next 27 years.

SLOwag

Adventurer
MicroFast Mi5

now posted in the for sale section...sadly, it doesn't see enough use.

Attachments

• Mi5.jpg
    Mi5.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 103
thats funny. i thought it was a little odd that you were so proud of your tent for withstanding 5mph winds. 65 mph is impressive. any more specs on the tent? inside pics?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3