Post your tents

Mitubitchy 3.5

Adventurer
Nope, only the Cave Modell.

I find it easy to bring it back in the Stuffsack, this is quite simple to use...

But Summer is started right now here in Germany, when Season is ending ( end of August) I will know much more.

Most People here take this kind of Tent only for the Summerhollidays, after they used it for 3 weeks and dont send it back to us we know how good this is.:coffee:

Stephan

Woods

Explorer
Very cool. Keep us posted.

Nope, only the Cave Modell.

I find it easy to bring it back in the Stuffsack, this is quite simple to use...

But Summer is started right now here in Germany, when Season is ending ( end of August) I will know much more.

Most People here take this kind of Tent only for the Summerhollidays, after they used it for 3 weeks and dont send it back to us we know how good this is.:coffee:

Stephan

DGarman

What could go wrong?
Tent Stakes

Usually, the first thing you do when you get a new tent is to throw away the stakes that came with it, and get some good ones!
I have typically make my own tent stakes in the past (usually 18" long). Bigger canvas tents work best with an 18" stake in my experience. Mine were getting bent and twisted from years of use, and I needed to replace most of them.
The Snow Peak tent stakes are actually a good price for what you get, but I stumbled onto this company:

http://www.monkindustries.com/produ...ducts_id=41&osCsid=n2egdkg1sdsbo8avcvv302tvb7

I ordered a bunch of 18" and 12" stakes from them. Roughly $3 each, but with shipping (36# from TN to CA) they ended up costing $5 each.
I can't make stakes for that price hardly, especially if I factor in my time along with the material.

They just came in, and they look plenty sturdy, so I'm anxious to try them out.

Dennis

Attachments

• 2013-05-24_13-37-39_746.jpg
    2013-05-24_13-37-39_746.jpg
    542.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 2013-07-05_14-38-05_690.jpg
    2013-07-05_14-38-05_690.jpg
    531.9 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

Woods

Explorer
Have you tried lag screws?

Great find. Those look tapered. Are they hardened or forged?

Usually, the first thing you do when you get a new tent is to throw away the stakes that came with it, and get some good ones!
I have typically make my own tent stakes in the past (usually 18" long). Bigger canvas tents work best with an 18" stake in my experience. Mine were getting bent and twisted from years of use, and I needed to replace most of them.
The Snow Peak tent stakes are actually a good price for what you get, but I stumbled onto this company:

http://www.monkindustries.com/produ...ducts_id=41&osCsid=n2egdkg1sdsbo8avcvv302tvb7

I ordered a bunch of 18" and 12" stakes from them. Roughly $3 each, but with shipping (36# from TN to CA) they ended up costing $5 each.
I can't make stakes for that price hardly, especially if I factor in my time along with the material.

They just came in, and they look plenty sturdy, so I'm anxious to try them out.

Dennis

DGarman

What could go wrong?
Have you tried lag screws?

Great find. Those look tapered. Are they hardened or forged?

They are forged, and 5/8" diameter. No taper on them, just a pointy end. The ones I always made were only 1/2" diameter. Maybe a 12" bigger diameter stake will hold as well as an 18" smaller diameter stake, we'll see.

I am curious to see how much harder they are to pound in. I hate pounding stakes :)

Honestly, I've never tried the lag screw method, but with a big cordless driver it would make it easy (as long as there were no rocks in the ground I'm thinking?)

Edited to add: The rope hooks are forged, but I don't think the stakes are. The Military stakes are hardened, it looks like on their website.

Dennis

Last edited:

Adventure Copan

Adventurer
They are forged, and 5/8" diameter. No taper on them, just a pointy end. The ones I always made were only 1/2" diameter. Maybe a 12" bigger diameter stake will hold as well as an 18" smaller diameter stake, we'll see.

I am curious to see how much harder they are to pound in. I hate pounding stakes :)

Honestly, I've never tried the lag screw method, but with a big cordless driver it would make it easy (as long as there were no rocks in the ground I'm thinking?)

Edited to add: The rope hooks are forged, but I don't think the stakes are. The Military stakes are hardened, it looks like on their website.

Dennis

Think I'm gonna have to pull the trigger on those red military ones. 12" ones should be more than enough for most situations?

-Daniel Kent

DGarman

What could go wrong?
Think I'm gonna have to pull the trigger on those red military ones. 12" ones should be more than enough for most situations?

-Daniel Kent

Daniel-

I would say the 12" stakes would be more than enough for most any situation. They are pretty burly, way stronger than the standard included tent stakes that will bend if you look at them cross-eyed. :)

Like I said, I haven't used them yet (they just got delivered today), but I'm impressed with them.

Dennis

Adventure Copan

Adventurer
Daniel-

I would say the 12" stakes would be more than enough for most any situation. They are pretty burly, way stronger than the standard included tent stakes that will bend if you look at them cross-eyed. :)

Like I said, I haven't used them yet (they just got delivered today), but I'm impressed with them.

Dennis

Funny... We needed some more anyway so it's perfect timing. Thanks for the link.

-Daniel Kent

Romer

Adventurer
Use to ( and still in basement) have a two person Dome tent

Then for the Rubicon, I bought the Oasis II which is light and easy to use. You can take it off the truck when you get to someplace you plan to be more than a few days. The bottom is nice like a trampoline so your not on the ground even when its off the vehicle. Very comfortable. It is small though and is basically like a big tent cot

Oasis.JPG
oasis2.JPG

I then got an ARB Simpson III (sold the oasis). It is really comfy and has room at the end for shoes and a bag. Very happy with this RTT
arb.JPG
arb2.JPG

Of course I have my Kimberley Kamper that is always my first choice. I use the ARB RTT when expedition camping on runs the KK shouldn't go or when I don't want to slow the group down
kk2.JPGkk1.JPG

I am looking at potentially getting an Oztent as well. Now that my daughters are grown and have long term relationships, its very doable to fit in my Kimberley, but cramped. So was thinking if I got an Oztent for the daughter and her boyfriend, they could be set up against my awning and it would just be an extension. The RTT is only big enough for two so they could use that as well if they go with me on a trip when I use the RTT. This also gives me more room to spread out my stuff

Anyone want to sell an Oztent :)

Imnosaint

Iron, but Gel
The wife and I picked this up before our vacation. Even though the 10x14 size was only slightly larger than our "dome" 9x13; the amount of useable space was a huge difference. Only problem I had in the 5 times I set it up was a campsite that was riddled with rocks. I had a really hard time getting the stakes down and some didn't even go down all the way.

i-T7FG8dt-X2.jpg

Heresy, I know, but we traded out our Oasis II RTT and went with a 10X14 Kodiak Canvas as well, more pragmatic and comfortable. Navigating the ladder out of the RTT for the 2:00a pee was perilous at best, challenging even the best bladder control, not to mention getting arthritic limbs to move in ways best left to primates. Now that we're traveling and camping with two medium-sized canines, this space accommodates them well and gives us a place to go in when the weather turns wet, something we couldn't do with the Oasis II.

TentMonty.jpg

KodiakInt.jpg

KodiakIntRev.jpg

It deploys in a few minutes. We've included a rock rake head that mounts to a pole to clear enough area for the tent's footprint.

Climbing nuts and augers are a great idea, especially in this area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman

Members online