Post your tents

kbahus

Adventurer
Retro camping here we come:

jug5.jpg

Woods

Explorer
Jeeeez, I'm such a tent geek. Read almost every page of this thread last night. I've thought a lot about tents over the years and have spent many an hour around the campfire discussing pros, cons and designing the perfect tents. I've come to at least one general conclusion and one specific conclusion. Generally, a tent should have as few poles as possible. It seems to me that speed and simplicity are both heavily influenced by the number of poles. Specifically, Eureka tents offer the best value of any manufacturer. The Eureka name is never compared with the likes of North Face, Mountain Hardware and the like (I'm purposely leaving Bibbler, Tuk Nuk and other high dollar tents out of this discussion). They offer tents, that I think, are easier to set up and just as rock solid of any of the mass production Gucci name tents. They also offer great quality and amazing customer service.

Right now, I have five tents and each serves a specific purpose.
- Very old Eureka Apex XT
- Kelty Buttress 6
- Eureka Assault Outfitter 4
- Kodiak Canvas 10X10 Flexbow
- Ozark Trails EZ Up Wall Tent

My Apex XT is my go to light weight 2 man tent. Stand out features are a rain fly that goes all the way down on all sides and mesh doors that have solid fabric zipper windows. This tent does great in desert high wind areas, where sand can blow up under the rain fly and through the mesh that is used on most light weight tents.

Kelty Buttress 6 has the same stand out features as the Apex XT, but in a MUCH larger package. I use this as my light weight family tent.

The Assault 4 is my 4 season family tent. It will handle more wind than any of my other tents and a light snow load. Not light weight and it has three poles, but I couldn't find a 2 pole tent that would do what this tent does.

My Kodiak is kept in my offoad trailer. I use it much more than any of my other tents.

My Ozark Trails Wall tent is used for marketing events that I attend and does not handle any wind. But it's giant.

Pics of the tents that I didn't see previously posted in this thread:

Apex XT (looks bigger in the picture than it really is)
$T2eC16h,!zUE9s39!e8rBRoqFkLegQ~~60_57.JPG

Assault Outfitter 4 (looks smaller in the picture than it really is)
tent011.jpg

Kelty Buttress 6 (Looks much smaller in the picture than it really is - has standing headroom)
kelty-buttress-6.jpg

Ozark Trails (pretty embarrassed to post this)
0081865500312_500X500.jpg

Last edited:

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
You and I think very much alike. I own or have owned several of the same tents. Well, not the Ozark Trails, be embarrassed too. Agree fully on your assessment of Eureka Tents. Way underrated. Odd though so many of their tents up in Everest base camp. I recently went to a trailer mounted RTT but my collection of ground tents (4) will still get used now and then.

Ace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wreckingball

I usually hammock camp but occasionally I rock a walrus 2 person 4 season. It is old, heavy, hotter than crap, but its great in the winter!

jetta-the-hut

Wow is it wrong of me that I have read all 50 pages of this thread.

No pictures just yet, I'll have to dig some up, I'm using the Kelty quartz 2-4 season at the moment but am really wanting a RTT for my Tacoma.

BrandonS

Observer
The wife and I picked this up before our vacation. Even though the 10x14 size was only slightly larger than our "dome" 9x13; the amount of useable space was a huge difference. Only problem I had in the 5 times I set it up was a campsite that was riddled with rocks. I had a really hard time getting the stakes down and some didn't even go down all the way.

i-T7FG8dt-X2.jpg

Honu

lost on the mainland
get some snow peak stakes ! way nicer than the ones that come with the kodiak :) which are decent for a included stake :)

another thread somewhere about using lag screws forgot if its in this thread or another ? but seems like a good idea for really hard ground and no pounding ;)

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
x2 on the Snowpeak stakes. Kind of expensive but more than worth it if ground is really hard and/or wind is blowing. The biggest ones at around 20" will anchor an outhouse in a tornado. Yet because of the unique taper they can be pulled out with out too much struggle.

I also carry a few climbing nuts that can be wedged into spaces between rocks or crevices when stakes just won't work like on slickrock.

Ace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal