potential Jeep change

trust

Adventurer
Im considering a change in Jeeps, I have an 82 Scrambler with a mild build, lockers suspension, axle, engine etc, very streetable and I drive it everywhere, wheel it and drive it home. I just got back from 2 weeks in Mojave/Death valley living in it in fact. 600 miles to Laughlin NV to meet the guys, Mojave and death valley, back to Moab Utah, Denver for a football game and home all in the jeep without mishap, well, except for running out of gas 30 miles from home because I believed the gauge.... When I got back though I was just tired of it, the noise, the no power on highway hills, just the 'jeepness' of it. I have been thinking of if, and if so what i might replace it with and cant seem to talk myself into any of the options, which I think are:

LJ with a mild build. JK also with a mild build, toyota tacoma, or nothing my buddies are pushing me towards an XJ which is what they all have and which makes some sense for the wheeling I do now, there's are all more than capable of what wheeling we like to do but I just dont care for the platform, I had an MJ when I bought the Scrambler, it made more sense to keep the MJ and not go to the Scrambler but I never really cared for the MJ and always felt more at home in a CJ.

Id love your thoughts...

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Stirring the pot?

Wow. You might as well just kick a hornet nest with that question...

When I bought my JKUR, I hadn't driven a jeep in at least 16 years. I remembered my high school buddy's 86 CJ7 on 35's and my college girlfriend's stock 93 wrangler. Ugh. Meh. Bleh.

Anyway, my excruciatingly slow rebuild of a 61 Rover was driving me nuts and a version of mid-life crisis came knocking at the door. When I realized that a JKU could solve many of my time and reliability issues in exchange for a big pile of $$, I went for it.

The livability improvements of jeeps in the current generation are amazing. They retain brand heritage, but are downright useable in daily life!

With that being said, it is still the worst car I've ever had, in that it really isn't spectacular at anything on-road. But it still puts a huge smile on my face after 14 months and 20k miles, and I love it. I would say go for it...

Does anyone want to buy enough boxes of stuff to theoretically assemble 2 series rovers?

BCobe

Adventurer
Have you thought about regearing the Scrambler? Maybe add some sound insulation to it? If you are looking at a different vehicle, have you considered the WJ? It has all the luxury bits but could still be a good wheeler.

Septu

Explorer
Before you go after a XJ/WJ/WK/etc or a YJ/TJ/JK, what are the main likes/dislikes of the CJ? AKA Do you want doors/roof off? That question alone should steer you towards one platform or another.

squint

Adventurer
My opinion is to keep the CJ, and toss some money into it to improve it. You could even put in an auto with a nostalgia shifter (so that it still looks like a manual). Just improve the road manners. Scramblers are so rare and so very cool. :)

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Terry,
I hear ya on the tiresomeness of the CJ on the highway, that's a big part of why I swapped my Scrambler for an LJ some years ago. Your Scrambler is awesome though, I'd hate to think of you selling it. Since I've now got the LJ and a JKU (actually two LJs if you count the pickup), I can give you some comments on the differences... the LJ is like a nicer version of your CJ8 - same dimensions (ok, 9" shorter in the back) and roughly the same look, but modern conveniences and technology like fuel injection, 4 wheel disk brakes, A/C, cruise control, etc. - you could think of it as your CJ with all the inconveniences and problems worked out. The JK has all that of course, but it's a thoroughly modern vehicle, and feels like it. Lots more electronics to deal with. Used JKs are also about twice the price of a used LJ. Many mods are more involved to do on the JK and on the LJ. Having both, I still much prefer the LJ for the trail. Both are great on the interstate, cruising at 75mph+ from NY to Colorado or Moab is very pleasant in both, but when I get to the trail I'll still take the LJ. Maybe that's just because the LJ is what I'm used to on the trail, I know lots of people prefer JKs on the trail. I think I prefer the LJ because it's closer to the CJ in off-road behavior, I feel closer to the trail experience in the LJ than I would in the JK, where electronics and general poshness would insulate me a bit from the trail experience. I'm sure lots of people will feel differently, but you asked for our thoughts so those are mine.
jeff

BTW if anyone hasn't seen Terry's awesome Scrambler, here it is:

Trust1_zpsykv4kaaa.jpg

BCobe

Adventurer
That Scrambler looks awesome! Possibly look at how much it would be to upgrading to a new vehicle and then modifying that new Jeep to suit your needs. Compare and contrast that price to modifying your Scrambler to update the things you want updated. If you haven't already, I would also test drive all of the Jeeps you are considering.

IMHO, with JK's being a dime a dozen, I would keep the Scrambler.

jaxyaks

Adventurer
Add one of the other jeeps mentioned, but you will regret selling that scrambler......I'll trade ya half a dozen xj's for it...

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Heh Heh, getta new JKUR and you won't have to modify it--

Pick your color, then maybe tires/wheels later---

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I am going through the same decision process for my 2005 LJ Rubicon. I think the family has outgrown the noise and cramped size for long trips. I am going to look at a suburban today. The LJ is no doubt a better vehicle than the TJ in most circumstances, and having had a CJ8 in the past there certainly is no comparison in refinement... however, I sold my scrambler in 1991 for $4500... dang it... and have regretted it ever since.

chasespeed

Explorer
Power, that is pretty easily remedied in an older Jeep like a CJ. Small block/auto swaps have been happening so long, it's pretty basic. Go with a SBC/700r4/300. Simple, reliable, and adds power.

Ride can be dealt with.

Noise/heat, lizard skin, or other similar.

Personally, I'd keep that Scrambler, and make it more comfortable for you. But, I could be biased, I've wanted one for a LONG time. Since I was a kid.

Now, I'm happy with my WJ. Actually pretty damn decent on a highway trip.

Off your list...

I have 3 kids, som right now I'd HAVE to get a JKU. But, I'd prefer the LJ.

Chase

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Your Scrambler is stunning! :beer:

I've had a lot of rigs over the years.
If you want comfort, convenience and off road prowess there is nothing better (imo) than a JKR or JKUR with auto.
My preference is the JKUR because of dogs, and the desire to sleep inside comfortably. To wheel competently it really needs a good 3" of lift or more, and 35" tires. Break over angle is horrendous.
Amazingly comfortable on the road. Amazingly competent off road.

I'd recommend a dead pedal, and the dual top group (if you have a garage). Or just the Premium soft top, unless you need the security of the hard top.

Good luck with your choice. So many great Jeeps to choose from. :beer:

simpleman

I'd never had a jeep before I bought my jkurx. I had driven a TJ once and remembered how puny and weak it was (4cylinders). I'm a fan of Broncos but they don't make them any more. I decided I'd just buy the best jeep I could and so I did. Ordered it blind folded. Never driven one never even looked at them. Called the dealership and it was done. Lol Don't do that by the way. So, I have the "ultimate jeep" now. I let the dealership add a lift for me. I'm certain it was their first time and it is a cheap lift. Other than the issues I've had over the lift, my X is very impressive right out of the gate. It has done great on every trip I've been on. It's pretty comfortable for daily driving and in the mountains. Pulls a trailer well and it is surprisingly fast on the interstate. I'm not a "jeeper". I don't run around telling everyone how totally awesome jeeps are. I am not even a real fan but mine is pretty ok.
Edit: I would love to have that scrambler in my driveway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zeep

Adventurer
My thoughts run parallel with Jscherb's. I always knew I wanted a jeep someday, but could not get over the " smallness" of the CJ, TJ, etc. When I first saw a LJ, the writing was on the wall. It took 2 years to find the one I wanted, but I have never regretted it. I believe you'll regret selling the CJ8, if it comes to that, some day. Lots of different options available, just in the new, used jeep market, not to mention the other brands.

Just consider your needs, and wants, and go from there.
Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk