Power Needed to Drag a Trailer Through the Backcountry

Cortttt

I have a Ford Transit with Quigley 4x4. Not the best tow vehicle. With the added weight in my van I did not want to go over 4,200 gvw on trailer. One of the reason I went with Trail Marker. Stand up rig with bathroom gvw 3,500. Timbren 3500hd , articulating hitch with up to 18 inches of clearance
Thanks. I like the Transit a lot but tow capacity was holding me back. I will check out those trailers.

I see the appeal of the smaller engine for better mpg, but keep in mind that goes out the window when you put that engine under a heavy load.
I’ve towed with a smaller turbo charged engine and felt like I was beating it senseless just driving around normally, and my mpg suffered similarly. The bigger engine will pull much easier, with less stress on it, and while pulling a load the mpg will end up very close to, or maybe better than the smaller engine.

If elevation is a consideration then a turbo or supercharger will help considerably. The naturally aspirated engine (even with its larger displacement) will start to struggle when it’s out of breath. I’ve heard good things about the ecoboost engine, it may prove to be durable over the long haul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bshinn

Remember……….there’s no replacement for displacement.

That having been said, 3.42 seems obnoxiously high for really any off road situation. I know it’s nice on the hwy, but 3.73 or 4.10 would be better off road. What transmission are you running 6L80E?

Assuming you’re considering GM, the 6.0/6.6 are only available in 3/4 ton & up chassis and the 6.6 is a Diesel………I know which one I would rather tow with.

Last edited:

Alloy

Looking at the trailers you're considering it looks like the carrying capacity is 800lb-1000lbs.

Water at 8.3lbs/gal

Off road you pack more stuff so it doesn't take much to surpass the carrying capacity of these built (kitchen/washroom) out trailers.

Full waste tanks can take up 1/3-1/2 of the carrying capacity.

Something to think about when selecting horsepower.

Last edited:

Cortttt

Remember……….there’s no replacement for displacement.

That having been said, 3.42 seems obnoxiously high for really any off road situation. I know it’s nice on the hwy, but 3.73 or 4.10 would be better off road. What transmission are you running 6L80E?

Assuming you’re considering GM, the 6.0/6.6 are only available in 3/4 ton & up chassis and the 6.6 is a Diesel………I know which one I would rather tow with.

It's the 6l80E
The new gas engine (2021) is the 6.6L; they no longer offer the 6.6 duramax - every once in a while they do show up used. That would definitely fix any torque questions.

Last edited:

Cortttt

I see the appeal of the smaller engine for better mpg, but keep in mind that goes out the window when you put that engine under a heavy load.
I’ve towed with a smaller turbo charged engine and felt like I was beating it senseless just driving around normally, and my mpg suffered similarly. The bigger engine will pull much easier, with less stress on it, and while pulling a load the mpg will end up very close to, or maybe better than the smaller engine.

If elevation is a consideration then a turbo or supercharger will help considerably. The naturally aspirated engine (even with its larger displacement) will start to struggle when it’s out of breath. I’ve heard good things about the ecoboost engine, it may prove to be durable over the long haul.

Right, there's this heavier load/bigger engine/increased efficiency thing. I've heard that before. Elevation really isn't an issue for me.

Cortttt

Looking at the trailers you're considering it looks like the carrying capacity is 800lb-1000lbs.

Water at 8.3lbs/gal

Off road you pack more stuff so it doesn't take much to surpass the carrying capacity of these built (kitchen/washroom) out trailers.

Full waste tanks can take up 1/3-1/2 of the carrying capacity.

Something to think about when selecting horsepower.
Yes, load up that OBI dweller with full tanks, and if I have my figures right - you're getting pretty close to payload. That's a good figure - 8.3 lbs/gal - to keep in mind.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Your main problem with the current 2wd van is lack of power when off road at slow speeds? I would think going to a proper 4wd with a two speed transfer case would make a world of difference.

Grassland

The 6.0 is a reliable engine I've heard, but thirsty.
A transfer case with low range would help tons compared to what you have now, and can always put steeper gearing in the van to help
Is there a forum for like landscaper or contractors who might be towing with 2500 6.9 vans you get get some highway experience from? It's not apples to apples but if guys are saying the van is tapped out towing 6k on the road it gives you an idea off the road

bshinn

It's the 6l80E
The new gas engine (2021) is the 6.6L; they no longer offer the 6.6 duramax - every once in a while they do show up used. That would definitely fit the torque question.
My mistake, I was assuming pre-owned. If it’s a new 21, would it not come with the 10 speed or at least the 8? I thought the 6l80 was phased out when the LT platform replaced the LS.

bshinn

The 6.0 is a reliable engine I've heard, but thirsty.
A transfer case with low range would help tons compared to what you have now, and can always put steeper gearing in the van to help
Is there a forum for like landscaper or contractors who might be towing with 2500 6.9 vans you get get some highway experience from? It's not apples to apples but if guys are saying the van is tapped out towing 6k on the road it gives you an idea off the road
I did an L96/6L80 swap in my JKU in 2020, it’s lifted on 35’s tips the scales @ 5800#’s average and is about as aerodynamic as a barn door. I get about 13.5 @ 70ish on the interstate. Currently running 3.73’s & it’s waaay overgeared. I think when I finally get around to swapping those for 4.10’s or 4.56’s it will improve some more. Thing is lugging around 1800 @ 70, & down around 1100 @ 45 on secondary roads.

The 6.0 is really not all that bad if you get a decent tune in it and keep it out of PE all the time. I was seeing AFR’s in the low 11’s before I had the new tune flashed.

billiebob

there is a guy on here... is it able guy?? can't remember but he is full time, GMC van, trailer for all his toys and tent. Find his posts, threads he is the expert on overlanding in a van plus trailer

billiebob

Basecamp is built and sold for posers. High end but kind a useless design and from the undercarriage I've seen it is like every other Airstream, built for the Interstate and priced to rape those buying one. For me even the design is not well thought out.

billiebob

THIS ^^^^ mpg is rated empty and on the EPA routing.
Loaded and off road especially with anything on the roof or in tow....the hyper milers are no better than the 7 liter engines

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy