Pre birth of a camper - No laughing!

Arfur's World

Observer
Looks great, is that the final colour? I'm weighing up options for Arfur and thinking a mid to dark silver ...
I'm also thinking of having a high, flat floor, which will also result in a high step-set, so if I think of anything I'll let you know.

Docka, the Merc dealer near to Oxford told me they would remove the limiter when re-classified. And I also had someone tell me on Sunday that if you are not using the Tacho, which I am not, then the tacho fuse (17 he said) also runs the limiter ... no fuse, no limiter ;) but I haven't checked yet

Arfur's World

Observer
Nothing wrong with the colour, I was just asking as I'm thinking of my own options. I think Arfur looks too industrial in his current, blue livery, so as mentioned, I'm thinking of a mid to dark silver. I do like the Land Rover Nara Bronze and a similar colour on that german 4x4 looks good ... decisions, decisions.

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
So I completely rejigged the inside design to push the water tanks to the back. I think the new layout is actually a little better. Here it is:

floor level 25-2-13.jpg

subfloor 25-2-13.jpg

I also started cutting - A traumatic experience:

DSC00504 (1024x768).jpg

Then I got a little more ambitious. This took most of the day to do because I was close to the floor and kept hitting hidden high tensile steel pins used to locate the walls when they were being glued.

DSC00506 (1024x768).jpg

DSC00509 (1024x768).jpg

And the door being made
DSC00507 (1024x768).jpg

I found a use for my (Ex) Company Amex card cleaning the excess Sikaflex off!
DSC00508 (1024x768).jpg

Here's a cross section of the floor makeup (top 1mm rough fiberglass, 18mm ply, 50mm insulation with 50x50 mm steel every 750mm, 4mm ply, 2mm smooth fibreglass)
DSC00512 (1024x768).jpg

and of the wall material (outside 2mm smooth fibreglass, 4mm plywood, 50mm insulation, 2mm smooth fibreglass)

DSC00513 (1024x768).jpg

Last edited:

docka

Adventurer
Keep up the updates and great photos please ian, it's all grist to the mill!
I like the hardware for the door/locker aperture, are they pre-made or did you make them?
And your environment is going to be so much easier to control with all that insulation, well done.
I bet you're enjoying finally getting stuck in, must be a bit intimidating tho with that lovely new box to cut holes in!

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Whoa that's a big hole! What's going behind the door? The R value of your van must be great, won't need a particularly big heating system. What have you got in mind for that?

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Looks good thanks.
Which windows are you going for, one of theirs or Seitz/other DG unit?

Seitz S4 - Already bought and sitting in the garage!

Whoa that's a big hole! What's going behind the door? The R value of your van must be great, won't need a particularly big heating system. What have you got in mind for that?

Why thank you! I may have an even bigger hole shortly!

LHS image  26-2-13.jpg

The top hatch is a panorama window. Open it up and watch the world go by. Like this: http://www.bimobil.com/website/expedition_ex480/start_e.php?diashow=ansichten

I have a 5Kw diesel water heater connected to a couple of blower radiators

I got the steel work for the seating area done today

DSC00515 (1024x768).jpg

DSC00517 (1024x768).jpg
You can se the tanks located also.

DSC00514 (1024x768).jpg
This is not me - I realised that my welding was not up to the job and asked a guy to help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy