Prepping a camel trophy defender 110 for around the world...

El Solis

Adventurer
Hey Shayne! Looking really good! I have the same compressor in the same location (LHD truck so back driver's side for me). How did you run the power to it? I went out the battery box and drilled (hated to do it) a hole in the truck where the power and ground came through. Protected the wires the whole way with plastic outdoor wire conduits. I don't really like the set up, too cluttered and looks like a hack job (bc it is). Just looking for a better way to do it.
My offer still stands for a place to stay if you are in the SF Bay Area.
Chris

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Sounds pretty much the same way I did it.. I ran a power cable right to hat area and then installed a 4 fuse holder.. Then I can run other items from there in the future... It's only a Hack job if it doesn't do it's intended purpose well... Sometimes things are a necessary evil..and I just may take you up on your offer to stop in...besides, don't we owe each other a beer or something...LOL...

El Solis

Adventurer
By the way..the whole Carisa ground so you only needed to run a power wire..the compressor can be grounded to the body..

I thought about this but I've had some grounding issues and when I talked to the owner of the compressor place he recommended grounding it to the battery. I def need to put a power distribution port back there so I can add for the amp and the future fridge off the one line instead of the 3 or 4 I have now

The Rover Shop

Explorer
On the shakedown cruise climbng one of the big climbs in Utah all of a sudden the temp guage started climbing and it appeared to be overheating.. pulled to the side of the road and took a look under Camillas hood and everything seemed alright, waited 10 mins or so and started her up..temp slowly came back down to normal and everything seemed good, well this kept me watching the guage and worrying about issues and had me checking the guage all the time and I found it placed a concern in my mind about where we could or couldn't go...avoiding bigggg climbs etc.. So back at the shop I decided to have a fallback system in place, while I had the fan shroud out replacing the fan clutch I installed a thermo fan which is controlled by a temp sensor pushed into the rad about 2-3 inches below the top hose outlet, at a pre-set temp the thermo fan kicks in and gives extra cooling to the rad, sooo should the engine not be turning enough rpm and it starts to get hot the fan should kick in, I installed the fan behind the rad instaed of in front because I think the fan will very rarely ever get used so I was concerned about it getting constantly wet and seizing up so at least a little bit of heat from the rad should keep the fan internals dry..there is plenty of distance between the engine fan and the thermo fan so that I am not worried about.. This system also has an added bonus..in cooler weather and longer trips (such as going from Alaska to the east coast of Canada on the Can-Am highway) I can remove the engine fan (simply unscrews) and run the engine without a fan and still rely on the thermo fan in case it gets warm...this should allow me to get better fuel economy and less engine noise..yeah, like that will make a noise difference on this truck at highway speeds...LOL...
Having truoble uploading pics..will add soon..
june-17-057-L.jpg

june-17-058-L.jpg

june-17-059-L.jpg

Last edited:

The Rover Shop

Explorer
So I was speaking to Max the other day and he recommended looking into the air ride system to reduce the amount of body roll I was experiencing...it was freaking my wife out..(I think its freaking hilarious to watch her grab anything she can as she thinks we are tipping over).. so the air ride system is supposed to reduce that body roll and also allows the rear to be "pumped" up to compensate for additional rear loads, I also wanted to get a bit more suspension lift on top of the old man emu suspension already installed...so I installed a set of 1" spacers at the same time...
june 20 136.jpg
june 20 133.jpg
june 20 135.jpg
I set it up so each side is independantly adjustable, installed the left and right air fittings above the rear fog light..the higher springs may pose a bit of a problem but I think it will be fine..on the pics I have not yet installed the lower air bag spring "protector/spacer" as to make sure they don't get diplaced on articulation I want to silicone adhesive them into place..that spacer is only about an inch high...

El Solis

Adventurer
I added a front and rear sway bar plus quad shocks in the rear and hardly have any body roll. I'll take some pictures.

The Rover Shop

Explorer
well slap my *** and call me stooopid.. I just bought a sister for Camilla.. I am now the proud owner of another 110 camel (1994-95 Mundo maya ?? 110 money pit.. Pics to follow..

maxingout

Adventurer
So I was speaking to Max the other day and he recommended looking into the air ride system to reduce the amount of body roll I was experiencing...it was freaking my wife out..(I think its freaking hilarious to watch her grab anything she can as she thinks we are tipping over).. so the air ride system is supposed to reduce that body roll and also allows the rear to be "pumped" up to compensate for additional rear loads, I also wanted to get a bit more suspension lift on top of the old man emu suspension already installed...so I installed a set of 1" spacers at the same time...
View attachment 108323
View attachment 108324

I have had the red airbags on three different Defenders, and they did an awesome job of eliminating the body sway. I look forward to hearing your report of how they work for you.

View attachment 108325
I set it up so each side is independantly adjustable, installed the left and right air fittings above the rear fog light..the higher springs may pose a bit of a problem but I think it will be fine..on the pics I have not yet installed the lower air bag spring "protector/spacer" as to make sure they don't get diplaced on articulation I want to silicone adhesive them into place..that spacer is only about an inch high...

I have had the red airbags on at least three of my Defenders, and they did a great job of eliminating the body sway. I look forward to hearing a report of how they work for you.

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Well my wife seems to think it handles alot better and alot less body roll, it definitely has allowed me to get rid of that leaning to one side look that most defenders have...will be nice to be able adjust according to load... very happy with it so far..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater