Prepping a camel trophy defender 110 for around the world...

triple9music

Shayne, what kind of fan shroud is that on there? So stoked for you and your wifey! looks like the trip of a lifetime! I think I'm gonna install one of those fans on my radiator as well. Safe travels man if your near Charleston SC, hit me up for some shrimp and grits and some holy city beer!

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Sorry for the delay...been doing a shootload of finalising on her...I believe she is as near as done as dammit.. Have loads of pics and updates to add.. will sit tonight or tomorrow and do the final update... In regards to the shroud..Its the original fan shroud for the 200 TDI, I just mounted to the radiator an electric thermal fan inside it between the engine fan and the radiator..

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Lets see if these pics of the new addition show up..
please be forewarned...these pics are a little graphic and not for the faint hearted..
$(KGrHqZHJFUE+S9E8!o5BP4cS7Tbmg~~60_57.jpg

$(KGrHqZHJ!4E+OP9bW6mBP4cU)vlqw~~60_57.jpg

$(KGrHqNHJDcE+cntZEv)BP4cVVBBbg~~60_57.jpg

$(KGrHqRHJD!E+Ug!B9sIBP4cTYNSo!~~60_57.jpg

$(KGrHqRHJE8E-vUM27SJBP4cVOe5+g~~60_57.jpg

$(KGrHqV,!qEE-vinqovEBP4cVPYo!!~~60_57.jpg

$(KGrHqZ,!oQE-yvNMEo2BP4cbOTkdQ~~60_57.jpg

jjstahl3

Explorer
hey shayne - like the 2nd truck checked out your site and you might need a navigation bar at the top at some point maybe something like this?Picture 11.jpg

The Rover Shop

Explorer
SoI had her up on the lift the other day...due to the height of Camilla she can't fit in my workshop so I had to resort to working on her in my warehouse, I have a low rise lift that I use and it works out great..
june-20-127-L.jpg
So I wanted to run all of the breather lines to a common junction and then up high next to the snorkle.. bought the kit from england and proceeded to install
june-20-137-L.jpg
I also bought the front timing belt breather cover adaptor as well...they even come with a cool flag sticker..LOL...
june-20-139-L.jpg

110-camel-083-L.jpg
allows the rear and front diffs, the gearbox and transfer box all to come up to one common beather pipe...the front timing case breather kit comes with a 2 into 1 junction piece allowing it to be used in conjunction with this kit..
june-20-138-L.jpg

The Rover Shop

Explorer
SO I wanted to improve our storage system and found that or plastic container system was not going to be durable enough..so I drew up plans to maximise the dimensions ... the cutout sections on the left of the boxes is needed due to the door catch striker sticking out the way it does...this allows the 2 boxes to slide back on the previously shown slide tray and gives me maximum useable space..
june-20-140-L.jpg
these 2 boxes are the pantry and cookware boxes with sliding tops for ease of access.. the ones to the right are our storage boxes of clothes...one thing that we learnt on our recent trip through very fine dusty trails dust got into absolutely bloody everything...this doesn't worry me too much but it annoys the wife like there is no tomorrow (don't ask me why, she admits it doesn't make sense why it annoys her)...happy wife = happy life.. so on the clothes boxes the lid sits on top and has a sealing strip on the lid where it closes to the base t keep dust etc out...these are made out of 1/8 aluminum sheet and should last a lifetime...made out of that thick a material so they can also double as seat bases and tables at the campsite..
june-20-141-L.jpg
june-20-142-L.jpg
july-12-244-L.jpg
july-12-243-L.jpg
the lower section under these boxes is additional storage boxes of stuff not used too often with the exception of my tool tray that should contain all the tools I will hopefully need to fix anything on the road...most of my recent work on the vehicle has been done with the tools I carry on the truck to ensure I have what I normally use..being a mechanic I probably tend to overpack on tools and spare bolts etc...but since I may stop and work in some areas for a while I can justify it...LOL..the rovers north tool roll pack comes in handy also..LOL..
june-20-143-L.jpg

Last edited:

The Rover Shop

Explorer
I have designed the interior so that in very cold or stormy weather we can sleep inside the vehicle...what I did find when we did sleep inside is that the sleeping platform prevents you from opening the door from the inside once closed as the handle is below the platform..so I removed the catch and "modified it".. lol..
View attachment 111042
welded an upright handle on it and then sleeved it with a piece of rubber hose.
View attachment 111043
View attachment 111045
once the door is closed the top of the new handle protudes enough to allow its operation from inside..

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Since the installation of the rear winch and installation of the new style sealed solenoid control packs front and rear I wanted a matching winch controller for front and back ones...the newer warn winch controllers are safer and have a signal light telling you its on and a powerful (ish) LED flashlight in the handle, since the front one is a superwinch and wired into the original 3 wire style winch control plug mounted on the upper fender I also mounted a wireless controller in the front..but since I dont know the reliability of these I wanted to ensure I had the warn wired in also...so now I have the option of 3 controllers for the front and one for the rear...
View attachment 111048

View attachment 111049

View attachment 111050

The Rover Shop

Explorer
so I wanted a rear cage so that in the event of an accident or rollover all of the components in the rear dont come tumbling through, the cage also serves as anti-theft security seperation from front to rear... but due to my need for sleeping inside I needed something that was easily moved to allow interior sleeping.. so I took a piece of grating that resembles the mantec side grates and went about devising a system...since my vehicle has the interior roll cage I was able to mount a hinging system to the overhead roll tube..I wrapped one sided adhesive fabric around the pipe (actually the furry side of industrial velcro) and took a piece of flat steel and made a pipe tube strap kind of deal...this allows me to adjust the tension by the bolt close to the pipe and that eliminates any rattling etc..
View attachment 111052
and then I took some of those wire cable clamp fittings that were the correct size for the steel grate bars and secured through the pipe straps...this allows me to adjust the height of the grate up or down..I placed the nuts of everything to the rear so that they cant be undone from inside...(hopefully a security measure) ..
View attachment 111053

View attachment 111054
when we want to sleep inside the security grate swings forward and secures to the roof allowing room for our feet to extend into the centre of the truck (when sleeping our head is at the rear door..).. I will be fabricating some style of locking device to lock the lower section of the grate to the roll cage making it secure but able to be easily unlocked and lifted..
july-12-249-L.jpg
View attachment 111057

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Not sure if this was a temporary stateside kinda thing that will pass once we have weened ourelves from the grip of the electronic devices but we found that there was not a good spot to store i-phones and i-pods (often used to have music in desolate areas or foreign countries) etc so I took one of the unused mounting brackets that come with the tuffy boxes and cut it up to make a 2 inch deep pocket, lined it with fabric to stop scratching ipods etc while bouncing around in it.. and almost looks factory..
july-12-272-L.jpg

The Rover Shop

Explorer
So I wanted to make sure that I captured anything that I am not prepared for on camera (we had a few elk nearly run into us when they ran in front of us when we didn't have any cameras on).. so I installed a mounted camera on the front rack light bar and mounted a monitoring screen on the dash...this constantly records onto an SD card and if nothing is downloaded off the car it just re-records on a loop system...that way if something happens we have it on record...not the best resolution but its a great backup situation...also acts as an accident camera.. we can easily see on the monitor if its recording..
110-camel-086-L.jpg
110-camel-085-L.jpg

110-camel-088-L.jpg

110-camel-089-L.jpg

Last edited:

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Occasionally we need to dry clothes or stinky sweaty shoes so I installed a ratchet strap to the front hood mounted spare and that allows me to put an elastic cargo net over it...this allows us to place items in the centre without them jumping out...the heat from the engine etc dries them in no time as well as airing them out..it also gives me somewhere to tie a safety cord to the hood mounted drift or go-pro camera which we mount to the hood...
110-camel-084-L.jpg

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
That's exactly what we used to do to dry our clothes. :) To wash them we stuck them in a Pelican Case half filled with water and soap. Added some river bed rocks, and strapped it to the roof rack. The swaying motion all the way up there gave it the tumbling action. Another thing we did with the 300tdi engines is stick our MREs or similar between the rubber engine cover and engine. 30 mins and you had a perfectly cooked meal. These were tricks we learned from other CT participants.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues