Prepping a camel trophy defender 110 for around the world...

Snagger

Explorer
I've just read this thread from start to finish, and it's a very impressive refurbishment and adaptation project. I envy you the vehicle and the trip!

For many of the EU countries, you will need a first aid kit and two fire extinguishers. You will also be required to carry a spare bulb kit, a break down warning triangle (the fold-out plastic reflective type you put on the road 100 or so yards from the vehicle), Hi-Vis vests for each vehicle occupant, registration and insurabce documents, and as already mentioned, a new French addition is a breathaliser kit. Be warned that the Italians and Swiss don't like roof mounted fuel cans - one of them prohibits them to be full on the roof and the other has banned them up there at all, even empty (I can't remeber which is which). The Swiss are also, unsurprisingly, a little anal about vehicle condition - the vehicle must be clean within the Swiss borders; any mud or thick dust on it and they won't let you in.

As far as the trailer brakes are concerned, you only need the over-run brakes (mechanically activated by the inertia pushing forward on the trailer's hitch) - you don't need air or powered hydraulic brakes that connect to the vehicle's brakes until you get to 3.5T, if I recall it accurately.

PM me if you're going to be passing Bedford (the UK one) - I'd love to have a look at it in the flesh (as would my CT Club member eleven year old son).

By the way, keep an eye on the rad and that electric fan - mounting them directly to the rad like that can cause fretting and puncturing of the tubules. You might also consider buying an X-Eng unlockable anti-roll bar when you're in the UK; it lookls like the sort of thing that would suit you.

The Rover Shop

Explorer
That musta been some heck of an amount of spare time on your hands, but thank you... It didnt start out as being such a monumental undertaking but it is finally slowing down a bit now as most things are done.... At least until i get it into the real world and see what needs to be tweaked and adapted...i believe I have all of those safety things onboard as part of my self mandated necessary kit...wasn't aware about the Jerry cans thing but that can be alleviated by putting them into the aluminum tool box or inside the vehicle..I have a couple of pics and pages of the last bits that I have done but really trying to get back underway on the trip...

The Rover Shop

Explorer
So one thing that has been a real PITA is where the roof top tent sits in the roof rack its a pain in the butt to get the cover back over...particularly where the hinge is on the tent...there simply isn't enough clearance between the hinge and the rack...so since we were having trouble with the poor quality zippers on our Hannibal tent I decided to attack taking the tent off the frame... took the canvas down to my local baot trim guy and had the zippers replaced with better quality larger ones...while it was there we had some other modifications done as well...with the interior window flaps closed it makes the tent too dark so we had small clear plastic windows installed into the window flap..now it should at least let a bit of light in in the mornings..
aug-3-034-L.jpg

aug-3-035-L.jpg
SO while the tent canvas was off I set about narrowing the frame work to give better clearance... I recessed the hinges in about 1/2 inch each side and I wanted to take a bit of tension off the interior window zippers so I shortened the frame horizontal widths by about 1/2 inch also
aug-3-058-L.jpg
Ordinarily I would have done a tidier cut with the receses but I had a hell of a time geting in with limited space with the rack..
So I went about re-assembling the newly modified tent canvas..and hundreds of staples later...
aug-3-057-L.jpg

aug-3-059-L.jpg

The Rover Shop

Explorer
I never got around to finish the bracketry for my onboard welding system so I tackled that now..
very simple mount and can be mounted in about 5 mins..can also be used as backup alternator if primary one fails...I think it pushes about 260 amps..and from the control box has a large invertor system...
aug-3-060-L.jpg

aug-3-062-L.jpg

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Something more simple was my problem with having paper towels available...they always seem to get untidy or flapping around.. I took a broom handle and cut it about an inch longer each side...drilled holes i the end and placed a zip tie through it and then attatched 2 light weight bungee cords and mounted it to the rear guard...keep enough tension on it to stop from coming unwrapped by wind..when you pull from the bottom out it releases the tension on the towel roll so that it comes out easy...and it can be easily relocated to the rear window guard when camping..happy wife = happy life....
aug-3-063-L.jpg

cdavis3361

Observer
Where did you procure the dash inclinometer? Been looking for something like that for a while. Closest I could find is from a new FJ.

The Rover Shop

Explorer
There is always some coming up for sale on e-bay..I have a spare montero one around if you like that I couldn't get to fit right on my dash..even with this one i think it was from a toyota land cruiser and I had to modify the housing a fair bit to get it to sit right...I just installled it there on the dash with RTV as it holds really well and if i chooose to repace it later with something different shouldn't leave any marks...its the inclinometer and altimeter combo...I have seen some with compasses and all sorts of stuff in them..pretty cool stuff if you can figure how to power them etc...

cdavis3361

Observer
Thanks! Can't believe I didn't think to look on eBay, I've been checking CL and Amazon. Not so smart moment on my part.

The Rover Shop

Explorer
check under altimeter..compass or inclinometer... if you check compass you will get alot of jeep crop...put -jeep after compass and it narrows it down a bit...

The Rover Shop

Explorer
On a whim the other day decided to get the 110 weighed..7300lbs expedition ready...holy poop..gonna have to cut back on some donuts,,,..she's just big boned...

The Rover Shop

Explorer
3 winches..inflatable canoe.. Welding system. Underbody protection..beefed up steering and suspension.. Too many tools..refrigerator. Additional fuel tank.. Roof rack and tool box..solar panels..roof top tent..2 spare wheels,heavy duty pullpal etcetcetc.. I guess it all adds up..lol..that is all our clothes, cookware, pantry etc in it as well..

I spy some Hennasy Hamocks! They are the bomb, great thing to pack on any extended trip, one thing I learned is that with any amount of wind on colder nights will strip the heat right from you, in that scenario a small single person air mattress will help keep your bum and back warm (even better yet would be a down filled mattress)

Love you build and wish ya the best on the trip!

The Rover Shop

Explorer
On our trip in the interior of the US we learnt that on some cold nights..(cold for us as we have been in Florida for the past 20 years) is 50 degrees.. And even an air mattress is notorious for stripping the cold from your body.. For the cold nights on top of the air mattress goes a genuine Australian lambs wool pelt..actually two of them together.. This gives excellent heat insulation..that is for the roof top tent anyway.. We actually haven't tried the Hennessy hammocks out yet but we have the big Agnes sleeping bags with the air mattress backing which is reversible for the cold and think it will be very comfortable for the right kind of weather.. Really looking forward to trying them out though..almost everyone who has them says they will never go back to sleeping on the ground again.. They call them people ground dwellers..lol..wasn't too many trees to tie to in Moab etc so we will wait for the upcoming trip to Alaska and then south to Guatemala...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues