PRICE DROP now $70k Rare 87 Toyota Sunrader Factory 4x4 & Turbo Custom Build

4x4kayaker

Observer
Selling my restored 1987 Toyota Sunrader 22RET Camper. $80k OBO in Olympia WA. This vehicles is super reliable and I have enjoyed owning and customizing it for the last 7 years. Load up, turn key and go! Very rare beast only around 30 ever made in USA way less with factory 4x4 with turbo, and factory 1 ton dually axle! FULL YOUTUBE WALK-THROUGH video link below:
Youtube walk through video
sleeps 4 (2 double beds) and has an interior shower/toilet (custom exterior shower too) pretty rare setup in an 18' rv
HISTORY:
I'm 3rd owner but the rig really has only had 2 long term owners. First owner were an elderly couple who bought this rig brand new from the Garderner Pacific Sunrader Factory and spared no options - They purchased the "Special Edition" 5 speed manual 4x4 with manual locking hubs and high and low range gearing. Extra large fuel tank 26 gallons (actually 24-25 gals in my experience). I purchased from owner #2 who really flipped it for quick cash and had alterntor/charging issues I quickly fixed. I began my full front to back restoration 7 years ago at 80k miles. It now has 122,900 miles (ZERO BREAKDOWNS) and fully capable off road with some amazing one of a kind overlanding additions. I have all the rig work receipts, in fact all the paperwork from original owners in a large/fat folder including all the manuals for everything onbaord.

UPGRADES:
This is extensive! 7 years of upgrades, been a use it and modify it for paddling and snowsport adventures and overlanding travel!
Front to back: Added Badland bumper, Badlands wireless winch, Rigid fog lights, halo main driving lights, Agency 6 shovel, led running lights and light bar, Blue Seas dual battery manager, upgraded 100 amp nippon alternator, new AC upgrade kit and cab AC blows cold!, clutch started slipping 6 months ago - brand new clutch installed, new Yokohama Geolander tires chosen for optimal snow and rain and on highway driving, do great on gravel 4x4 roads too, new pickup paint job with custom pinstriping, front driver and passenger still pretty much stock with some retro shag, but in fantastic shape-no rips, overcab area was rebuilt with new laminated beams, reflectix insulation and new stained and poly panels - made modular so you can unscrew and replace individual panels, on roof installed 2 100 watt solar panels with morning star solar charger - has easy option to expand more batteries, replaced aged rv charge controller- this is a must for older rvs, rig has 1 main AGM battery and 1 auxiliary AGM house battery both in front engine bay, rear leafs were replaced and added a leaf in rear plus installed maintenance free Timbrine bump stops after using air bags that tended to leak and be problematic, new horizontal propane tank-nothing wrong with the old one but some locations wont fill a 30 year old tank-no worries now, rear custom bumper made by Mule Expedition Outfitters and I added custom led rear lights to both bumper and rear wall, added 2 Aluminess rear storage boxes mounted to bumper and rear wall, new custom ladder integrated into box and wall, up top added galvanized piping to inside of stock roof rack to strengthen and installed Yakima racks and roller system to easily load a canoe or sups or kayaks, added the best rear opening storage box on the market Packasport for roof storage, added $500 weboost system will sell for asking price, weather station with fold down boom, remodeled interior and new reflectix installed on most walls with new cabinet façade upgrades, painted interior, new foam cushions as 30 year old foam was done, and new outdoor fabric on rear bed and seats, stove/oven was removed and restored and reinstalled, new water heater with elec. start, new sink faucet, original 3 way dometic fridge still works great. What does not work is the grey tank and black tank level indicator wall light switch-needs new wiring it was always a low priority and an easy fix with a new panel and wiring. I tend to dump and refill every 4 days anyhow so was never an issue. Added an Italian Fiamma Awining- game changer easy to open/close. Probably missing some upgrades watch the walk-through video!

CUSTOM ONE OF A KIND SUNRADER MODS:
I suggest you look at the youtube walk-through video to see these, always draws attention to the rig!
  • Pull out exterior Jetboil stove (easy to remove for picnic table use or backpacking too)
  • exterior shower, shower mostly outside since this mod
  • exterior Toyoda Beer Tap with slide on bar shelf - nitro and keg beers on the road! will sell for asking price
  • Aluminess rear storage boxes- the much needed external storage for your overlanding gear
Serious inquiries only, this is a very rare original overlanding rig with very well thought out overlanding upgrades with classic style. Makes sprinter vans look like a joke. They knew what they were doing in the 80's. Email kayakthecoast@gmail.com with your offer and your overlanding adventure plan on what you plan to do with this rig. It will require successful buyer to stay a few days in Olympia, learn about the rig and make the transfer as seemless for both parties. Sold as is with no warranties, except new owner can call for future advice and questions and we hope to stay in touch with their new adventures.
Jason

Attachments

• sunrader wide thumb.jpg
    sunrader wide thumb.jpg
    549.7 KB · Views: 932
  • sunrader side.jpg
    sunrader side.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 933
  • beer tap.jpg
    beer tap.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 928
  • jetboil stove.jpg
    jetboil stove.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 841
  • interior rear.jpg
    interior rear.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 825
  • rear storage.jpg
    rear storage.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 809

rawtoxic

Sweet rig! Enjoyed the video walkthrough and had a few more ?s
What are the tank sizes for water / waste water?
What kind of MPG out of 22RET with loaded camper?
How does it pull on mountain passes - what kind of speed can you climb long steep grades?
Does it have a trailer hitch?

plh

Explorer
How fast is it on flat out highways? Can it keep up with traffic? Cruising 75 mph + around here.

4x4kayaker

Observer
Sweet rig! Enjoyed the video walkthrough and had a few more ?s
What are the tank sizes for water / waste water?
What kind of MPG out of 22RET with loaded camper?
How does it pull on mountain passes - what kind of speed can you climb long steep grades?
Does it have a trailer hitch?
I think water is 40 gal, waste smaller, (would have to pull manual) after 4 days with 2 people I pretty much dumpwaste. Water tank lasts us a week. MPG 10, 11 average I live in a mtn state), worst 8 best 14, pulls way better on mtn passes than non turbos for sure. You can pass slow lane trucks no problem. Yes has a beefed up tow hitch 2” receiver. I tow a 1000 lb kayak trailer.

4x4kayaker

Observer
How fast is it on flat out highways? Can it keep up with traffic? Cruising 75 mph + around here.
Yes she will do 75mph even 80 on flat just fine. I usually cruise at 65 mph now though no need to get there fast, shes more about style. With new clutch the mtn passes are way easier as clutch was starting to slip, got that fixed 4 months ago. These motors are so bulletproof and reliable I didn’t notice the issue it probably started a good year ago! I drove to Montana last summer and did notice a slight clutch issue then, and she still got me home! New clutch and I have a ton more torque I hadn’t noticed lost!

River

Really neat rig. How much off roading have you done and how capable/how much clearance? What kind of shape is the glass camper body in and have there been roof or other leaks? Are the windows glass or poly of some sort and are the seals in decent shape? Are the tanks heated for winter use? Enjoyed the video and all the creative and practical mods you did. Thanks - Andre

4x4kayaker

Observer
Really neat rig. How much off roading have you done and how capable/how much clearance? What kind of shape is the glass camper body in and have there been roof or other leaks? Are the windows glass or poly of some sort and are the seals in decent shape? Are the tanks heated for winter use? Enjoyed the video and all the creative and practical mods you did. Thanks - Andre

4x4kayaker

Observer
Glass is all good, replaced the front driver window 2 years ago. All the camper glass is in great shape, and seals good for age. I have kept an eye on sealing just before our rainy season every year when needed. The upper front over cab windows are plexi-glass, both in good shape no cracks. One is a little faded from 34 years, I coat with 303 Aerospace Protectant religiously - its great stuff! Tanks are not heated, in winter I flush water lines and we use a large water jug, and we use the toilet only with windshield wiper fluid as cheap anti-freeze! with every deposit. I have upgraded some of the plumbing to pex but not all of it. We have had no problems in the low teens in PNW. and Honda generator to top batteries up during low sun days. If you were staying with the rig you could use the propane wave heater and the water tank amd plumbing as lines are all inside the truck so you could keep temps at 50 deg easy. We tended to backcountry or downhill ski all day and did not always want to leave the heat on all day while we were gone. Its doable though with the wave 3 heater it just sips propane and has no battery draw (no fan).

Lots of off roading! with low range crawling up deterioating forest service roads. You are 4wheeling with your house so your slower. I wouldnt do 4x4 technical trails with it, the cabinets would literally shake apart! Its perfect for slow steep winter and summer exploring on roads and up mountains! BUT it has its limits. I have a 95 tacoma and that is my wheeling rig but this rig gets me to remote spots with less inclined folks would go. I have been amazed at where I have gone. I put a winch on it as it was getting me pretty remote and often alone, I slipped off the main road on an angled rutted track and it took me hours to get her back on the main line without a winch! I would not bother to lift it, your just asking for suspension issues and your mpg would drop, I have heard you have gearing issues to overcome too. Winter 4x4 high range is amazing, she loves the snow! low range for the steep ascents and descents is bomber.

As for leaks the rear left back side window is famous for leaks as its an emergency exit. I redid that whole wall. The only issue with leaks is the interior paneling - the rig is totally fibreglass and will not rot! I gutted all the paneling and replaced with new reflectix and poly and stained with new marine ply, and also new panels - its modular too so you can unscrew panels and replace every 5 years or so if you need to. The front windows are also famous for slow leaks. Same deal you can replace all the over cab panels with my new modular design!

Last edited:

4x4kayaker

Observer
Selling my restored 1987 Toyota Sunrader 22RET Camper. $80k OBO in Olympia WA. This vehicles is super reliable and I have enjoyed owning and customizing it for the last 7 years. Load up, turn key and go! Very rare beast only around 30 ever made in USA way less with factory 4x4 with turbo, and factory 1 ton dually axle! FULL YOUTUBE WALK-THROUGH video link below:
Youtube walk through video
sleeps 4 (2 double beds) and has an interior shower/toilet (custom exterior shower too) pretty rare setup in an 18' rv
HISTORY:
I'm 3rd owner but the rig really has only had 2 long term owners. First owner were an elderly couple who bought this rig brand new from the Garderner Pacific Sunrader Factory and spared no options - They purchased the "Special Edition" 5 speed manual 4x4 with manual locking hubs and high and low range gearing. Extra large fuel tank 26 gallons (actually 24-25 gals in my experience). I purchased from owner #2 who really flipped it for quick cash and had alterntor/charging issues I quickly fixed. I began my full front to back restoration 7 years ago at 80k miles. It now has 122,900 miles (ZERO BREAKDOWNS) and fully capable off road with some amazing one of a kind overlanding additions. I have all the rig work receipts, in fact all the paperwork from original owners in a large/fat folder including all the manuals for everything onbaord.

UPGRADES:
This is extensive! 7 years of upgrades, been a use it and modify it for paddling and snowsport adventures and overlanding travel!
Front to back: Added Badland bumper, Badlands wireless winch, Rigid fog lights, halo main driving lights, Agency 6 shovel, led running lights and light bar, Blue Seas dual battery manager, upgraded 100 amp nippon alternator, new AC upgrade kit and cab AC blows cold!, clutch started slipping 6 months ago - brand new clutch installed, new Yokohama Geolander tires chosen for optimal snow and rain and on highway driving, do great on gravel 4x4 roads too, new pickup paint job with custom pinstriping, front driver and passenger still pretty much stock with some retro shag, but in fantastic shape-no rips, overcab area was rebuilt with new laminated beams, reflectix insulation and new stained and poly panels - made modular so you can unscrew and replace individual panels, on roof installed 2 100 watt solar panels with morning star solar charger - has easy option to expand more batteries, replaced aged rv charge controller- this is a must for older rvs, rig has 1 main AGM battery and 1 auxiliary AGM house battery both in front engine bay, rear leafs were replaced and added a leaf in rear plus installed maintenance free Timbrine bump stops after using air bags that tended to leak and be problematic, new horizontal propane tank-nothing wrong with the old one but some locations wont fill a 30 year old tank-no worries now, rear custom bumper made by Mule Expedition Outfitters and I added custom led rear lights to both bumper and rear wall, added 2 Aluminess rear storage boxes mounted to bumper and rear wall, new custom ladder integrated into box and wall, up top added galvanized piping to inside of stock roof rack to strengthen and installed Yakima racks and roller system to easily load a canoe or sups or kayaks, added the best rear opening storage box on the market Packasport for roof storage, added $500 weboost system will sell for asking price, weather station with fold down boom, remodeled interior and new reflectix installed on most walls with new cabinet façade upgrades, painted interior, new foam cushions as 30 year old foam was done, and new outdoor fabric on rear bed and seats, stove/oven was removed and restored and reinstalled, new water heater with elec. start, new sink faucet, original 3 way dometic fridge still works great. What does not work is the grey tank and black tank level indicator wall light switch-needs new wiring it was always a low priority and an easy fix with a new panel and wiring. I tend to dump and refill every 4 days anyhow so was never an issue. Added an Italian Fiamma Awining- game changer easy to open/close. Probably missing some upgrades watch the walk-through video!

CUSTOM ONE OF A KIND SUNRADER MODS:
I suggest you look at the youtube walk-through video to see these, always draws attention to the rig!
  • Pull out exterior Jetboil stove (easy to remove for picnic table use or backpacking too)
  • exterior shower, shower mostly outside since this mod
  • exterior Toyoda Beer Tap with slide on bar shelf - nitro and keg beers on the road! will sell for asking price
  • Aluminess rear storage boxes- the much needed external storage for your overlanding gear
Serious inquiries only, this is a very rare original overlanding rig with very well thought out overlanding upgrades with classic style. Makes sprinter vans look like a joke. They knew what they were doing in the 80's. Email kayakthecoast@gmail.com with your offer and your overlanding adventure plan on what you plan to do with this rig. It will require successful buyer to stay a few days in Olympia, learn about the rig and make the transfer as seemless for both parties. Sold as is with no warranties, except new owner can call for future advice and questions and we hope to stay in touch with their new adventures.
Jason
Just added a google drive folder FULL OF PICS:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1piM9zyVUv4VlCWf7WvQ7cCzoiBKH1CUr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh