Pro-Comp Mud Terrains - Anyone using?

AZ_Husker

Observer
Does anyone have any experience with the Pro-Comp Mud Terrain tires or know any reason I should not try them? I have had my BFG A/T's for over 4 years and have been pleased except when encountering mud. I'd like to try out more aggresive tire and the Pro-Comp's are buy 3 get one free for a few days longer. Plus, M/T's just look so damn good on a 4x4.:costumed-smiley-007

Thanks.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
AZ_Husker said:
... the Pro-Comp's are buy 3 get one free for a few days longer...
Don't get in a hurry because of the "buy three get one free deal". They do that several times during the year. I have seen it more times than I can count.
Take your time and do your research.
Rumor has it that they are soft and don't last very long with on road use.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Yea the buy three get one free is a standard thing for 4 wheel parts like every weekend. The problem is the 3 are so expensive that it ends up being about the same as any other 4 tires out there. Remember nothing is really free that is worth having. Basically buy 4 tires at a discount or buy 3 at full price and get one free it is a wash usually!

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Do a search on yotatech.com, there seems to be some experience there. They have a horrible reputation among people who have never used them and a decent reputation among people who have. They seem to be one of the envogue rock crawling competition tires here.

I spoke to someone recently who had a set on a Jeep and had them siped edge to edge. I couldn't see any sign of chunking at all.

AZ_Husker

Observer
Just so we're on the same page, these are the tires. NOT the XTerrain, which are the uni-directional, semi-paddle-looking type. Also, I'm trying to compare/contrast against BFG M/T, which are pretty pricey.

procompmudterrainqf3.gif

Nullifier, we're talking $504 for four Pro-Comps versus $728 :Wow1: for four BFG M/T's in 265/75/16. That's $125.75 per tire versus the $180 I typically get quoted for the BFG tire. That makes a man take pause for a moment. That $224 in savings could go towards some on-board air.

Bigreen505, I'll look at that yotatech board.

I appreciate everyone's input.:beer:

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
One generic bit of info is Cooper's private label tires run very small in diameter by close to one size, but true in width. For example my 285's are 32.25" in diameter, where a 265 should measure about 32".

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
AZ_Husker said:
Just so we're on the same page, these are the tires. NOT the XTerrain, which are the uni-directional, semi-paddle-looking type. Also, I'm trying to compare/contrast against BFG M/T, which are pretty pricey.

procompmudterrainqf3.gif

Nullifier, we're talking $504 for four Pro-Comps versus $728 :Wow1: for four BFG M/T's in 265/75/16. That's $125.75 per tire versus the $180 I typically get quoted for the BFG tire. That makes a man take pause for a moment. That $224 in savings could go towards some on-board air.

Bigreen505, I'll look at that yotatech board.

I appreciate everyone's input.:beer:

Your math doesn't include tire wear. I can garantee the BFG will last twice as along. Procoms wear out even faster then the GoodYear MTR's.

You also shop at the wrong place. That price doesn't include mounting and ballancing. you can go down to Costco and get the BFG for around $150 each MOUNTED with road hazard. 4Wheel will nail you another $45 a tire for that. You just missed a $60 off 4 at Costco that ended last week.

Last set I needed Costco had to order so I started hitting other places that advertize price matching. I tried to get them to price match Costco and thier reply is "we matched the price but we don't match the labor." NTB guy said we match anybody's pric". When I told him the price at Costco he actually walked away from me and started helping a different customer. Neither place will ever get money for tires from me EVER AGAIN.

Now the one thing you might have a problem with is Costco will mount those tires on a loose rim all day long but they may refuse to put them on the truck since its not the factory spec size.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Grim, I wish you were right, but I don't think you've been to Costco for a while. The store near me was quoting about $185 a tire in the 265 size, or $170 for the AT. Do keep in mind that with Costco, the price includes tire warranty, for which other shops charge about 10% of the tire cost. I've been told that they won't honor the warranty unless they mount the tires on the actual vehicle. It is possible that different Costcos play by different rules. One store gave me a big song and dance about how they will not mount tires that are a different size from what was originally spec'd on the car (and they take this to a ridiculous level, they will not mount the 265 tire size from the Offroad Xterra on a base model Xterra), but the store I usually go to has set of 37x12.5x15 Crawlers and 37x12.5x17 MT's in the showroom. Last I checked, that is not an OE tire or size. They also had a stack of drag racing tires next to those.

As for tire wear, well, the man has a point. I guess what you have to decide is whether the extra cost of the BFG's is worth it to you or not. And if you are considering Pro Comps, you probably also should be looking at the Maxxis Big Horn (ursidae69 is running them), Kumho MT and Dunlop MT. They all come in about the same price and the Maxxis can be had on eBay for $480 shipped in a D range tire or $460 in a C range tire. From the one report I have seen, I would expect tread life from the Maxxis to be about 30,000 to 35,000 miles on a truck used as a daily driver.

articulate

Expedition Leader
calamaridog said:
My feedback is why do you need a mud tire in SE Aridzona:)
  1. Because they look cool
  2. See #1

Seriously though, I've been happy with the MT pattern after I wore out a set of AT. Maybe it's placebo, but I "felt" like they offered much more traction on rock.

But to answer the main question: I don't know of a single reason why you shouldn't try these Pro Comp tires. Since the BFGs are "tried-n-true" maybe give these a shot. What are you going to hurt? I like how Baja Marzonie tries out different tires - he has some made by Cooper, which aren't nearly as common as BFG. Go for it, report back in 6-8 months.
:beer:

i may have nothing to contribute here except a stinky body part...or opinion...whichever :D...

...but at first blush they look like a good tire. all these tires are radials...this and the bfg both have three sidewall plies...both have aggressive sidewall traction which will aid traction when you air down...not much setting them apart.

differences appear to be--

the bfg looks like it will be more effective aired down as the corner and upper sidewall profile is more aggressive than the procomp. the bfg also has a rim protector--it is handy, i have "used" (abused?) this feature on my a/t. having no sipes, the bfg m/t is ripe for siping and grooving...you could easily microsipe the center section of the two inner lug stripes without interference from factory siping.

the procomp has factory siping, so it will be very much an improvement over the unsiped bfg m/t. it can also be studded...but you live in arizona. i'm inclined to believe an earlier comment regarding short tread life since a soft tread, sipes and stud holes make for a very good snow tire...or a good tire in the rocks.

personally, i'd get the procomps if i expected to spend most of my time driving on the road, but wanted a tire that could easily run in the dirt. it looks like it will have better road manners and hookup in wet weather than the bfg m/t. if i'd be in the dirt and rocks with the truck--scott's truck for example--i'd get the bfg m/t or similar (longhorns, etc) and a siping/grooving tool and cut some rubber. if you look at the tread patterns on the majority of offroad specific, bias ply, large void tires (almost everything by interco, for example), the lugs beg for grooving and siping, and perform best with a little of both...same with bfg's baja a/t, a radial tire like what you're comparing.

if it's a dd tire or "dual sport" (can i use that term to describe truck tires?) and i didn't want to mess with it (siping or grooving), i'd take the procomp over the competition's m/t...looks like it'll hook up better straight out of the box.

if you need a tire specifically for the dirt/rocks/mud, interco does make radial versions of the sx and the radial trxus m/t, which does have more siping out of the box than any other mud tire, but has a wider section than comparable diameters.

-sean

Last edited:

jim65wagon

devinsixtyseven said:
the procomp has factory siping, so it will be very much an improvement over the unsiped bfg m/t. it can also be studded...but you live in arizona. i'm inclined to believe an earlier comment regarding short tread life since a soft tread, sipes and stud holes make for a very good snow tire...or a good tire in the rocks.

-sean

I know that the siping on those MT's only go about half the tread depth. My brother-in-law got about 20,000 miles on his Ram before the siping left his Pro Comps and made for a very squirrelly PA winter ride. Other than that he really liked them for his daily driver; they went everywhere well and they made "that" sound:p

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
I have never ran Procomp tires as I don't do any business with 4 Wheel Parts, however, my boss has run:

Procomp MT - gave them away after 10k. Hard to balance and very bad in rain. Unimpressed on and off road.

BFG MT - Ran them for 30k before uneven wear, etc. forced him to get rid of them. Liked them better than the PCMT.

Toyo MT - Loves them. They look new with 15k miles on them. Very expensive but he swears by them.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
bigreen505 said:
Grim, I wish you were right, but I don't think you've been to Costco for a while. The store near me was quoting about $185 a tire in the 265 size, or $170 for the AT. Do keep in mind that with Costco, the price includes tire warranty, for which other shops charge about 10% of the tire cost. I've been told that they won't honor the warranty unless they mount the tires on the actual vehicle. It is possible that different Costcos play by different rules. One store gave me a big song and dance about how they will not mount tires that are a different size from what was originally spec'd on the car (and they take this to a ridiculous level, they will not mount the 265 tire size from the Offroad Xterra on a base model Xterra), but the store I usually go to has set of 37x12.5x15 Crawlers and 37x12.5x17 MT's in the showroom. Last I checked, that is not an OE tire or size. They also had a stack of drag racing tires next to those.

As for tire wear, well, the man has a point. I guess what you have to decide is whether the extra cost of the BFG's is worth it to you or not. And if you are considering Pro Comps, you probably also should be looking at the Maxxis Big Horn (ursidae69 is running them), Kumho MT and Dunlop MT. They all come in about the same price and the Maxxis can be had on eBay for $480 shipped in a D range tire or $460 in a C range tire. From the one report I have seen, I would expect tread life from the Maxxis to be about 30,000 to 35,000 miles on a truck used as a daily driver.

You are correct I did not price that size tires. I did price a set of 33x10.5x15s AT's recently. They were 142 mounted ready to go. 4Wheel parts was $141 with an extra $40 per tire mounting and road hazard.

This weekend I will be buying a set of 265x75x16 Michelins LTXE for my Suburban. Stock size is 235x85x16. They came in this morning. $185 each and $60 back on rebate since they didn't have them when the sale was going. NTB is over $220 each for the same deal. I expect to get 50k out of them.

I did have a problem with them about the size. The rims on the sub stock were 16x6.5. They were badly warped from brake heat. I replaced them with 15x8 MT knock offs. I had a tire damaged and bought 2 new 235 85's and they created a handling problem because the rim is too wide. It took me a long time to get them to realize they created a problem with their rule and the manufacture point blank says that rim is to wide for the tire. They kept telling me "that tire is too big"...I kept pointing out it was a 1/10 inch shorter then the stock spec and only 30mm wider. It will fit no problem and fix the problem they created. Sometimes common sense needs to have priority over rules.

I do live 2-3 hours from their NC plant so I may pay less becasue of the lower shipping costs.

Never had a problem with them on warranty. I just have a bad habbit of ripping soft ball size holes in the side walls on mud covered "curbs". :xxrotflma

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77