Project “Polar Bear”: 1989 V2500 Suburban

Roccosamore

Good morning. New hear and came across this thread. Made me smile and the more I read I couldn't stop. Nice truck!! I just bought (CL) a 1990 V1500 Suburban, 5.7, 700r,241, D44f, 10bolt(I know!). It's a one owner with 190,000, no rust and not so much as a nick or dent. Motor has 6k on rebuild, 35k on trans/tc, 3k on D44 rebuild. White w/blue interior and a Silverado. Everything works! I gave 4k for it but I am very happy with it. Still trying to figure out this picture upload thing. Anyway, just wanted to say hey. I live in So. Oregon between Medford and Grants Pass. I bought it in Portland and on the trip home my wife said she felt like she was chasing an ambulance as it is also white! Again, you have a great truck...

mkitchen

Explorer
Looking very nice, Larry

No surprise, your Burb is a very nice looking rig. Progress on Reuben is very slow as most of my set aside funds went to the veterinary instead. Oh well, it is still moving along though and I look forward to catching up with you at the Expo this spring.
Mikey

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
If it lasts that's what matters to me. :) I've used it to seal a flange from the y-pipe to the catalytic converter on my ranger. It held up until I took it off to remove the tranny. I've read a lot of the k-10 story on the other forum. Quite an adveture you guys have had so far. :)

I've lived here for about three years, grew up about 10 miles outside of gr in Hudsonville. I went to high school with a couple Browers. I know one is in excavating and the other has green houses.

It’s a small world. I don’t believe any of his brothers are in greenhouses or excavating. Although my buddy kinda has a greenhouse if you know what I mean. Wink wink…. They are pretty much all auto industry guys.

Good morning. New hear and came across this thread. Made me smile and the more I read I couldn't stop. Nice truck!! I just bought (CL) a 1990 V1500 Suburban, 5.7, 700r,241, D44f, 10bolt(I know!). It's a one owner with 190,000, no rust and not so much as a nick or dent. Motor has 6k on rebuild, 35k on trans/tc, 3k on D44 rebuild. White w/blue interior and a Silverado. Everything works! I gave 4k for it but I am very happy with it. Still trying to figure out this picture upload thing. Anyway, just wanted to say hey. I live in So. Oregon between Medford and Grants Pass. I bought it in Portland and on the trip home my wife said she felt like she was chasing an ambulance as it is also white! Again, you have a great truck...

Welcome to Expo Rocco! Sounds like some good bones to start a project with. They all have to start somewhere. Anxious to see pics when you get them up.

No surprise, your Burb is a very nice looking rig. Progress on Reuben is very slow as most of my set aside funds went to the veterinary instead. Oh well, it is still moving along though and I look forward to catching up with you at the Expo this spring.
Mikey

Yeah, I hear that. I have a 10 year old Rotty/Pit/Southern Hound mix that was just diagnosed with lymphoma Friday. Because we are dog lovers I’m sure this will get expensive trying to save him or at least making sure he is comfortable until he is ready to go. We lost a dog in 2011 another in 2013 and now looks like this big dude might be leaving us in 2016. Bummer…. Loosing animals is never easy.

See you at Expo! Make sure you bring that big trash container again. I love that thing! :coffeedrink:

Sambo being chauffeured to the vet like a boss
14634833513_6a41981e61_z.jpg

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Hey: dumb question, but how do you adjust the hood? Thanks.

Well, I use a 13mm socket on a 3/8 MAC Spinflex ratchet to loosen the bolts, make the adjustments then tighten the bolts back down
dunno.gif

……Hehe, okay seriously. You're probably asking about the latch portion. There are two horizontal bolts at the latch. Loosen those and move the latch up and down where you need it then tighten them back down. Adjusting the hood hinges themselves are self-explanatory.

The Burb is going for a 90 mile test drive today to deliver my buddy Rob's K5 to the Chevy store where he works to have the exhaust plumbed for the transplanted 5.3L and interior bedlined. Perfect test drive for the re-cammed 8.1L. I only have 120 miles in it since the re-cam.

23737174083_803f61f27a_c.jpg

24281491831_abd2de5cb8_c.jpg

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Not really. He will just drive the 8.1. Lol.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

LOL…..Actually, that was pretty much the case before this past June. The 2001 8.1L Silverado HD got demoted from daily driver duty to garage queen with the arrival of a new 2.0L Turbo Malibu. The forward facing baby seat wasn't working out well in an extended cab truck for hauling the little around so we leased daddy a Bu for a while. Now that all the kinks are getting worked out of the Polar Bear it may just become the daily driver once the lease is up on this car. Stuck with it for another 2.5 years. Its a fast fun little car though and the lease is plenty cheap enough. It's also nice to park something in the airport parking lot that I don't care about.....It's just a rental for 3 years :sombrero:
24300449731_5f04a473e2_c.jpg

CRolandLJ

Adventurer
i was already jealous of all your trucks but now i see you live in or near Canon City? Awesome area. As a Texan that general vicinity would be my 2nd choice.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Larry,

I saw on another thread from a couple years ago that you recommended Superlift front springs. I ma looking to do a 2 - 2.5" lift in order to: 1) replace the worn front springs on my burb and 2) be able to fit 255/85/15 tires. They are skinny 33's or so.

Just thought I would check and see if you still recommend that front spring option.

Thanks,

John

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Larry,

I saw on another thread from a couple years ago that you recommended Superlift front springs. I ma looking to do a 2 - 2.5" lift in order to: 1) replace the worn front springs on my burb and 2) be able to fit 255/85/15 tires. They are skinny 33's or so.

Just thought I would check and see if you still recommend that front spring option.

Thanks,

John

Yeah, I really like the soft ride of the Superlift springs. I would definitely recommend them. Looks like they have a nice 2.5” lift for this generation of truck. BDS Suspension has good stuff too but probably not as economical as Superlift

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Thanks Larry. One more question and I will cease the hijack... for a lift this size, for the purpose of a DD and fmily overlander, do you object to the use of blocks in the rear? My rear springs are in good shape.

Thanks
John

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Thanks Larry. One more question and I will cease the hijack... for a lift this size, for the purpose of a DD and fmily overlander, do you object to the use of blocks in the rear? My rear springs are in good shape.

Thanks
John

Nah, I don't see a problem with minor rear blocks as with a small 2.5" lift. Anything larger I wouldn't recommend them.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I really like the soft ride of the Superlift springs. I would definitely recommend them. Looks like they have a nice 2.5” lift for this generation of truck. BDS Suspension has good stuff too but probably not as economical as Superlift

The great thing about BDS is the waranty and the fact that they have a military wrap making the 2nd leaf go around the main leaf so that you can snap your main and still get home. Good stuff!:wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven