Project "Autonomous" F-350

underdrive

jackwagon
You got some a fling-wing ejection system surplus hardware or something?

What's your desired spring-perch width. Axles from E350 and E450 vans are pretty widely spaced, with GAWR of up to over 9k, and most importantly disc brakes. Dana 70s and 80s they are, bolt pattern is the same as what you got now, standard 8 on 6.5" BCD. Throw us some number and we'll go measure one up to see if it will work for you.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
You got some a fling-wing ejection system surplus hardware or something?

What's your desired spring-perch width. Axles from E350 and E450 vans are pretty widely spaced, with GAWR of up to over 9k, and most importantly disc brakes. Dana 70s and 80s they are, bolt pattern is the same as what you got now, standard 8 on 6.5" BCD. Throw us some number and we'll go measure one up to see if it will work for you.

I am just going to run what I have for now. The goal is to get this on the road as soon as possible. I did a google search and found someone who wrote that the C&C axle was 2 inches wider than the regular pickup axle.

Korben

Adventurer
I don't have the WMS to WMS of the uhaul but it is wider than the F350 by about 3 inches per side.

Hmm, the U-Haul really looks C&C based in the pic and of course that would make since, but 3" wider per side at the WMS would be a pickup axle. How wide is the frame at the back, C&C is 34" pickup is 37".

I did a google search and found someone who wrote that the C&C axle was 2 inches wider than the regular pickup axle.
That someone is wrong, C&C is the same width as a SRW pickup at the WMS, they are narrower then pickup at the spring perch and at the backing plate. DRW pickup is wider at the WMS, wider at the backing plate, but the same as SRW pickup at the spring perch. Both DRW versions have a wider brake shoe, but only the C&C axle has a thicker axle housing tube.
I get just wanting to get it going, no worries, maybe consider however going with a spring perch width and shock mount that is identical to pickups(but is wider then C&C for stability). That way any DRW or SRW pickup axle will bolt right in either as a replacement or if you decide you want the wider DRW track width.

Last edited:

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Hmm, the U-Haul really looks C&C based in the pic and of course that would make since, but 3" wider per side at the WMS would be a pickup axle. How wide is the frame at the back, C&C is 34" pickup is 37".

That someone is wrong, C&C is the same width as a SRW pickup at the WMS, they are narrower then pickup at the spring perch and at the backing plate. DRW pickup is wider at the WMS, wider at the backing plate, but the same as SRW pickup at the spring perch. Both DRW versions have a wider brake shoe, but only the C&C axle has a thicker axle housing tube.
I get just wanting to get it going, no worries, maybe consider however going with a spring perch width and shock mount that is identical to pickups(but is wider then C&C for stability). That way any DRW or SRW pickup axle will bolt right in either as a replacement or if you decide you want the wider DRW track width.

The uhaul is C&C the GVW is 11k and the frame is 34" wide. Matching the pickup pad width is a very good idea! I'll do that. The reason I was even looking at moving the pad on the axle is because I am putting my 3" wide Atlas springs on the truck. The C&C pads are for a 2.5" wide spring. That and the fact that I plan to drop the hangers down to ditch the blocks got me thinking maybe a little too far outside the box. Thanks for all the sound advice everyone!!!

jusnicho

Observer
RPM offroad truck looks awesome. RPM offroad isn't that far from me (Just down in Bristol, TN). I've been out on the Hatfield Mccoy trails in WV with one of their Baja Drivers. He made a Razor do things I've never seen before or since (might had ended up on its side once or twice).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk