Project "Autonomous" F-350

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
RPM offroad truck looks awesome. RPM offroad isn't that far from me (Just down in Bristol, TN). I've been out on the Hatfield Mccoy trails in WV with one of their Baja Drivers. He made a Razor do things I've never seen before or since (might had ended up on its side once or twice).

I like the RPM guys. Clyde sponsors a lot of small teams, supports the grassroots of the sport. He has really helped to launch the careers of Matney, Laguna, and Lopez.

Jeez pappa... That last one, heat of the moment!

Jim is a client of ours, I talked to him Sunday morning about seeing flames shoot out of the truck on Saturday. I really wanted to get a shot of the flames. It's difficult because it only takes place for a split second.

Wilbah

Adventurer
Damn loved those links Papa...the camper and the Cummins. Great stories! Gotta love people thinking outside the box. Really great.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I want to put my good Atlas Leaf springs on the uhaul so I bought some late model superduty leaf packs to put under the F350.

First, I had to pull out the atlas springs. Started with the ubolts, then the rear mount and finally the front.

The box is still on the lift so I had to do it on the floor with jackstands. I had to disconnect the swaybar and shocks to get the rear end to drop down far enough.

The bolts on the superduty springs are much bigger so you have to drill out the hangers.

I had to break out the bluepoint air drill, it's the most compact drill with a half inch chuck I could find. The outer hole goes in at a slight angle because of fender clearance. The second hole goes in straight.

I couldn't get the shackle bolt in so I ground a nice chamfer on the end. Always put a nut on first in case you get a burr on the first thread. When you take the nut off, it will cut the thread on the end.

Still could not get the bolt in. The problem turned out to be the shackle hitting the spring hanger. I had to sand it into a rounded barrel shape until I had the clearance. There was still plenty of meat there. Should not be an issue.

The truck sits lower in the rear but it rides nice. Could not beat the price, $70.00 for the pair with the shackles and hardware. :sombrero:

Last edited:

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
More progress?

Everything on the chassis behind the cab will eventually be replaced

One benefit to the dually rear end is the brakes. Look at the drum width.

Railroaded

love a clean frame, How far does that tank hang down? There going to be any drive shaft issues? I feel like the T-case in my OBS SCLB ends around the rear of the cab but don't remember how far it hangs down.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
tires look like a SuperSingle on a 5-ton Milsurp. Some big meat.

I really like the stability, traction and flotation you get from big tires. I've been real happy with the Falken Wildpeaks.

love a clean frame, How far does that tank hang down? There going to be any drive shaft issues? I feel like the T-case in my OBS SCLB ends around the rear of the cab but don't remember how far it hangs down.

Yes, it's tight. I had to slide the tank back towards the rear of the truck 26 inches to clear the shaft. It hangs down about 2 inches below the bottom of the frame rail.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I had purchased new spring hangers for the back. Since the c&c frame is so narrow, and I am moving the leaf springs out to match the F350 width, and extending them to get rid of the lift block, I am having to fabricate my own spring hangers from scratch.

Probably overbuilt but I want this truck to be solid; it will see plenty of off-road travel.

I also had to cut the old spring pads off. I am lucky to have the Crap Industries shop at my disposal; it took the plasma cutter to remove them. *Tip is to cut at a 45 degree angle at the weld. I went in horizontal to not damage the axle tubes but the material is so thick it would not budge. Like most things, the second pad came off much easier and no damage underneath.

This truck will be hand made by the time it's done. :steak:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman