Project "Autonomous" F-350

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I really like how you approach things. I am guessing as your pic with all the parts has a pump handle you will have the ability to fill other things from a tank/tanks? I have wondered about doing that instead of having a simple reserve that only fuels my vehicle. Is that where you're going?

The design of my fuel system was inspired by the thought of losing an in-tank fuel pump on the road. Many times I would be in the middle of nowhere and have a dry tank. Every time I would switch tanks, I would cross my fingers it would work. I also wanted to increase my range. The new system has AEM external pumps, a Seachoice fuel water separator, and finer, AEM filtration. It also has a gas pump to fill motorcycles, etc. I located a 60 gallon tank that fit between the frame rails. The shape of the tank meant it would have a hard time scavenging fuel on an angle so I included a smaller fuel cell with a sump. The large tank will refill the smaller tank which feeds the engine. The ball valves are for emergency shut off and will be used to manually divert the flow. The pumps, filters, etc will all be housed in a locked storage box mounted behind the cab. Both tanks will be able to be directly filled through Drake billet fuel doors.

patoz

Expedition Leader
I like the way you are doing the fuel system based on the 'Two is one, one is none' (aka backup to the backup) concept. I hate getting stranded too, especially when you can say, "If I had only..." but you didn't because you got lazy.

I'm looking for several aluminum storage boxes configured like that. Can you tell me what the ODs are, and/or post a link to it?

Thanks,

~ Pat

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I like the way you are doing the fuel system based on the 'Two is one, one is none' (aka backup to the backup) concept. I hate getting stranded too, especially when you can say, "If I had only..." but you didn't because you got lazy.

I'm looking for several aluminum storage boxes configured like that. Can you tell me what the ODs are, and/or post a link to it?

Thanks,

~ Pat

This is the box I ordered. The quality is very poor; the box is not square. It does provide an enclosure with a door. That's all I really needed. http://www.ebay.com/itm/371440635255

patoz

Expedition Leader
OK thanks for that info, and it sounds like I need to keep looking. I'm looking for three 2' or one 6' to build a camp kitchen out of, so they need to be pretty good quality.

And considering the price of good quality ones, I may be switching to an alternate material to build the boxes out of.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Good boxes are not cheap. Today I worked on the box mounting and built a pedestal where the pumps and filters will mount in the bottom of the box. The pedestal gets mounted to 4 anti-vibration mounts. The pedestal also allows ample room for the fuel lines and electrical. I will add several shelves above the pumps. One to contain the fuel nozzle and hose and another for misc storage.

Seabass

Idiot
You often wonder what the guy on the other end of the thread looks like......(I swear I'm not some wierdo)....Really cool, Pappa!

Last edited:

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Small progress today. I relocated the parking brake bracket and hooked the cables up. All the nuts and/or bolts that are on the back side of the frame are welded to tabs to capture them. They can all be tightened from the outside. I was able to use an existing hole for the bottom but had to drill a new hole for the upper bolt. On my first attempt I got the part and the holes perfect. When tightening the nut, I broke the bolt. I had to cut it apart and weld a new bolt to the plate. The second time around the bolt was a little crooked. I had to go just a bit beyond clearance to get it to work. I welded an extension to the cable bracket to take up the gap.

Now I can work on mounting the fuel cell so Lance at PVP can plumb the fuel lines.

By moving the fuel cell ahead of the reservoir tank I can mount both the Drake filler doors in the same spot. The fuel lines will be several feet shorter. The batteries will move to the rear. This will keep the electrical separate from the fuel and propane. One side of the frame will have fuel and brake lines, electrical will run down the other side.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Nice to have all that fuel weight very near the vehicle's (supposed) center of gravity, too. I've noticed a cockeyed rebound in my Sub's suspension when its 32gal tank is full. It's all on the driver side, along with my fat ***.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal