Project "Autonomous" F-350

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I got the plates to construct my roof rack that will mount the solar panels, and the filler plate for my gas doors laser cut at Western Fabricators in Hesperia, ca. For those who don't know, The owner of Western is a KOH O.G. 13, Brett Porter.

This is going to look sexy on the truck. Drake Fuel doors

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I made a base/frame to mount the fuel cell. The second version actually worked. :coffee:

Then a friend came over to use the plasma cutter. He got a couple of stainless electrical boxes that were going to be scrapped. He cut out some panels that he can use for fabrication and he gave me the door. It measures 3' x 4'. Any guesses what I'm going to use it for?

:snorkel:

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Today I built a bracket to further secure the fuel system storage box and mount the Sea Sense fuel water separator. It attaches to the framework for the cab extension. Those two Daystar boots will protect and seal the fuel lines going to, and coming from the AEM pumps inside the box. The fuel water separator has a metal bowl. I will run a length of clear hose from the bowl to a petcock. I can glance at the hose, see that there is water in it and then open the petcock to drain it.

I moved the box back on the frame 25" to do several things. I wanted to mount the fuel delivery system here (along with the fuel cell), I wanted some storage behind the cab, I needed a way to make a pass-through to the box, and I wanted to aid aerodynamics. I did not want airflow hitting the flat surface on the front of the box.

On the driver's side will be the fueling station and the fuel fillers.

On the passenger side, there will be a full size door that gives access to the area behind the cab. The pass-through will go straight up into the bunk area.

Last edited:

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I spent the day on a low stool under the box cutting brackets off the subframe. Showered in molten steel all day. My shirt is full of holes and my arms, legs, neck and back are covered in burns. The good news is I figured out a great way to beef up the truck frame, extend its length and mount the box in a way that equally distributes the load. Overall, I'm very pleased. :beer:

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
As the saying goes, 'No pain, no gain'! Looks like you achieved both! :26_7_2:

Thanks Patoz! As an extra bonus, I sunburned my left eye from the plasma arc. It felt like gasoline was in it when I went to bed last night. I have some photography biz and writing to do today so fabrication is on hold. Wouldn't you know it, the clouds came in and it's much cooler today. I shouldn't complain. At the root of this journey was a desire to escape the cubicle. Getting more acclimated to the heat always helps when I am out in the dez working. Vegas to Reno will be in August.

V2R 2015

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Shall we assume you are using good eye protection?

I run full coverage #5 goggles with my plasma. $25 well spent.

Eyes are one body part Ill never fool around with when it comes to safety....

They don't grow back! :Wow1:

patoz

Expedition Leader
I agree, if I was going to loose any parts, eyes would be last on the list! Being a Firefighter, PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) is drummed into us from day one and eye protection is usually provided.

However, at home we tend to get lax and take chances sometimes. Like back in the early 80's, when I was cleaning the carburetor on my F-150's 351M engine. I sprayed the cleaner into what I thought was a passageway, but was in reality a blind hole. The cleaner blew back directly into my right eye, and it instantly felt like someone had just stabbed me with an ice pick.

I was home alone so I ran to the kitchen sink, grabbed the sprayer, and started flushing my eye with cold water. After 30 minutes of flushing, I could finally open my eye and keep it open, but I couldn't see out of it because everything was very blurry. I thought I had done permanent damage to it, but since I couldn't drive I just laid down and waited. Eventually, the blurriness cleared up, but it took about three days to do so. Needless to say, I learned a very powerful lesson that day, and I no longer take chances with my body parts!

Last edited:

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I was once helping a buddy checkout a car he was thinking of buying. The car was overheating badly when he openend the radiator overflow tank(dont ask me why it held pressure) I started to say maybe dont open it when it exploded all over us. I got off easy with second degree burns on my chest but he lost some sight in an eye. Its a scary thing when it happens.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I can't believe the amount of work that needs to be done but I am figuring things out and crossing projects off the list. I screwed up one of my spring hangers, it was crooked, so I had to cut the brackets off and re-do them. I figured out how I will mount the box and extend the frame.

The box used to be bolted solid to the truck frame. Over the irregular part of the frame they cut square tube to bridge the gap.

I just could not get over thinking of the original mounting style moving on spring mounts and didn't like it. I got an epiphany and decided to run a flat rail the entire length of the box instead. The 2x2 square tube on the box subframe will be removed and 2x3 tubing will bolt onto the frame rail instead.

Since I have these plates that I had to cut off, and they match the holes in the frame, I am repurposing them to hold the new frame structure in place.

My custom rail has angle iron spanning the irregular section of frame rail. I will add sections of angle to support this section, trimming them to the needed heights. I hope to rest on the frame rails as much as possible.

I need to find some material to put between the two frames, the Uhaul used plywood. The two frame sections will be attached with spring mounts.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Is the material to cross link the rails, or provide support for the cargo floor (or both)?
If' it's just to structurally tie the rails to each other, some tubular steel could be used to essentially create a ladder frame sitting on top of a ladder frame.
But since your cargo load weights won't be approachign anything like its original use, I'd personally just bind each rail to the main frame independently.

OR is it meant to keep the frame rigid? and how rigid / non-twisting do you want tha tframe to be? How will your box be mounted to the frame, will it float on a few points, or be bound in multiple places to these rails. Meaning will your box wrack with your frame? will the box make the frame rigid? CAN the box do so? SHOULD the box do so, can it sustain the twisting load?

You might be needing to have your box float on a limited number of attachments, something like the cab on a semi-tractor, so your off-raod vehicle can off-road.

/Master of the Obvious. Give me a break, I'm stuffed with pre-4th block party BBQ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal