Project "Autonomous" F-350

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Since the gas tank has been relocated towards the front of the truck, I have a huge area behind the rear axle where the factory tank was mounted. I built a huge battery tray that can hold up to 4 group 31 agm batteries mounted on their sides. The whole tray is on a hinge to allow easy access from under the truck. The solar panels will be on the roof towards the back of the truck so this location keeps the solar cables as short as possible. I am wondering if I should put a solid panel on the bottom of the tray or use expanded steel to let it drain and allow ventilation.

java

Expedition Leader
I would put a piece of sheet metal across the bottom. Keeps big gravel from pounding the battery cases.

njtacoma

Explorer
Solid metal. I would be worried about an errant rock taking out a battery, put some drain wholes if that is an issue.

Theoretician

Adventurer
That's the plan, just can't decide whether to use solid sheet or expanded metal.

I'd cut some angled vents in solid sheet, such that you have 100% shielding against debris and water and grease and **** from the road coming from the front but plenty of drainage and airflow from the rear.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Expanded metal mesh with a tight pattern. Seconding the concern about sharp road debris, on or off road. Cool idea with the tray. How will you control the weight when lowering it, put a floor jack on it before unbolting it?

patoz

Expedition Leader
I would recommend A36 Hot Rolled Perforated steel sheet. Here is just a sample. They do show it up to 1/4 inch thick, but maybe available thicker.
http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=1004&step=2&top_cat=849

I like this, or the louvered metal plate idea.

Every time I hear the term 'expanded metal', I think of the trailers I've had with that used as the bottom and sides, where it was all sagging and rusting beyond all hope of being able to clean it up and repaint it.

BTW Mike, my new camera should be here in a couple of hours! :wings:

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I guess I was using the wrong term. The material I have is the perforated steel sheet. I have that and some .125 aluminum. I know the perforated steel will stop rocks but I'm wondering about sand. I have seen what sand does to shock shafts after only a few miles; it isn't pretty. The cost of all the little details are starting to add up. I'm not even going to attempt to calculate my labor hours.

Petrolburner

Explorer
Wow. I just read through this whole thread over the past few days. I plan to get one of those Uhaul trucks or vans with the cabover portion at some point to build a toyhauler with some dedicated living space. I'm glad to see that you decided to stick the the Uhaul truck and swap suspension and drivetrain parts as that is likely to be the path that I take. It was also cool to see the aerial fire fighting photos you posted along the way, especially the shots of the Leadplane! That's what I fly for a living and most of the time the media doesn't roll the cameras until the Leadplane flys by, they just film the airtanker.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I would recommend A36 Hot Rolled Perforated steel sheet. Here is just a sample. They do show it up to 1/4 inch thick, but maybe available thicker.
http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=1004&step=2&top_cat=849

Thanks Hillbilly.

I like this, or the louvered metal plate idea.

Every time I hear the term 'expanded metal', I think of the trailers I've had with that used as the bottom and sides, where it was all sagging and rusting beyond all hope of being able to clean it up and repaint it.

BTW Mike, my new camera should be here in a couple of hours! :wings:

I hope you post lots of pics Pat. :sombrero:

Wow. I just read through this whole thread over the past few days. I plan to get one of those Uhaul trucks or vans with the cabover portion at some point to build a toyhauler with some dedicated living space. I'm glad to see that you decided to stick the the Uhaul truck and swap suspension and drivetrain parts as that is likely to be the path that I take. It was also cool to see the aerial fire fighting photos you posted along the way, especially the shots of the Leadplane! That's what I fly for a living and most of the time the media doesn't roll the cameras until the Leadplane flys by, they just film the airtanker.

Thanks Petrolburner and thanks for what you do to keep us all safe! I can't wait to see what you build. BTW, I just got back from a few days in Eugene. It was a good trip, but I have to get busy getting my lucas oil series press releases out before Vegas to Reno this week.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Mike, it takes great pictures...at least in automatic mode! Here, you wanna see a picture of my cat?

13938007_10206968748237514_2109456724940793819_o.jpg

Everybody likes cat pictures, right? :hehe: :D :D :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh