Project MULE - Expedition build on a 1991 1500 4x4 Suburban

PMA4x4

Adventurer
Epic fail on the front matching 10B. I was told it had a LSD but nope.

axle-08.jpgaxle-09.jpg

So end result for the original two axles I went there for.

Was told
10b and 12b both with LSDs and 4.10s

ended up with
10b 4.56 open diff and 12b 4.56 LSD.

PMA4x4

Adventurer
The "spare" front 10bolt and last axle to be tackled is done. Here is the official tally of what I am keeping in regards tot he axles I acquired

14 bolt full floater with open diff 4.56 gears (gears are rusty,axle needs a rebuild)
10 bolt front with open diff and 4.56 gears.
1 spare Warn Premium hub (other side was shot by loose bearing nuts)
1 spare set of "AVM" brand full turn hubs.
2 full set of spare front shafts (28 spline)

Stuff hitting the market to get rid of
12 Bolt with limited slip diff and 4.56 gears
2 sets of 6 lug hubs
2 sets of 1/2 ton spindles
All the chrome
4" leaf springs

All in all a good deal

PMA4x4

Adventurer
Digging your bumper project, as I am toying with a rear winch also.

Scrib, I think the ends of the rear bumper are going to get one last revision. I just dont know if I will be able to keep it short enough for shipping if i decided to sell it.

warwgn

Explorer
the rear bumper is coming along nice. I agree with the choice to ditch the fill in plastic peice and just move the bumper, looks much better.

PMA4x4

Adventurer
Yep, I have my work cut out!:Wow1:

It still turns and everything. I wont even bet any money the gears are shot which doesnt matter anyways. Even if the 4.56s we still good I would still have to by a "thick" gears for the ARB I am putting in it.

axleb-02.jpg

axleb-03.jpg

njtacoma

Explorer
I like your project.
On the bumper I like it when they wrap around a little more, they seem to look more integrated. I can't tell if any of your corner samples wrap as much as the stock bumper, but at least that much if not a little more wrap in my opinion (which doesn't matter because I don't own the truck!)

Thanks for the updates, and any more mileage updates with the mods?

PMA4x4

Adventurer
we did a 1400 mile trip into CA and back and with a loaded interior and massive climbs (as in 10mph in 1st gear) and a bit of idling at night to warm up we averaged 11.8mpg total trip.

azcagiva

Mexican-1000-Johns-pics-091-M.jpg

This thing gets around 12mpg. It has 4.56's and 35's.

Where in AZ are you, and where did you get the lights?

Nice looking sub you have there look forward to watching your progress.

-John

PMA4x4

Adventurer
Got bored at the shop so I used a GoPro Hero2 Camera and did a time lapse of the 14 Bolt axle tear down.

fnjeep314

Observer
I cant wait to see what the end results are. I have had very similar plans for a get away/expo rig. Everything down to the suburban and lift and rank and all. Hope you dont mind if I 'borrow' some of your ideas!!

PMA4x4

Adventurer
It was one more re-work on the ends of the rear winch bumper. I went back to the design where they level off before wrapping around the body. I also added a inside radius to flow with the body.

It may seem tall, but this is necessary to mount the winch and I wanted the ends tall (or low enough) to protect the body. This still sticks out less then the factory bumper and is actually just as tall. This one just has more flat surface real estate.

rbumper-017.jpg

rbumper-018.jpg

rbumper-019.jpg

rbumper-020.jpg

rbumper-021.jpg

rbumper-022.jpg

This pic makes the bumper look WAY to wide but its just the angle it was shot at.
rbumper-023.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk