Project "UHAULER"

UHAULER

Explorer
Some pictures of the insulation and headliner disappeared, so here they are again.

p72801copy.jpg

p72809copy.jpg

p72810copy.jpg

p72811copy.jpg

UHAULER

Explorer
I put in some mini blinds this weekend.The blinds on the sides needed to be spaced out 1.5" from the wall to clear the window frames so I made some valance's out of pine, nothing fancy but they get the job done.

I also painted the inside with a multi tone grey granite-like paint from aerosol cans, the stuff you see at Lowes or Home Depot. It hides/camoflauges a lot of imperfections and all of the bolt heads and rivets.

blinds4.jpg

blinds3-1.jpg

blinds2.jpg

blinds1.jpg

ChrisInVT

Adventurer
You've given me a WHOLE slew of ideas for my Toyota U-Haul. I was wondering what the box would look like with the aluminum painted white and now I know. I've been planning on doing the same thing you did with insulation on the roof, just haven't gotten around to it. I don't use mine as a camper though.

Was your box vinyl wrapped when you got it? If so, did you just leave it or remove the vinyl wrap?

Very cool project, and good luck with the sale.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Wow, somewhat anti-climactic! Bummer that you are selling, why did you decide to do that?

If you have not painted it yet you might consider using some 'bus kote'. It is super stuff from everything I Have read, and it is insulative. Not a lot, but it is good stuff, plus it would give you some continuity before you try to sell the thing.

Anyhow, good luck selling your truck.

UHAULER

Explorer

.....Was your box vinyl wrapped when you got it? If so, did you just leave it or remove the vinyl wrap?

Very cool project, and good luck with the sale.

Yes it is vinyl wrapped. I painted over it with an oil based enamal. After 1 yr. the wrap is now starting to peel so now it should probably be removed.

UHAULER

Explorer
Wow, somewhat anti-climactic! Bummer that you are selling, why did you decide to do that?

If you have not painted it yet you might consider using some 'bus kote'. It is super stuff from everything I Have read, and it is insulative. Not a lot, but it is good stuff, plus it would give you some continuity before you try to sell the thing.

Anyhow, good luck selling your truck.

I didn't have much luck trying to sell it. I thought it was a little too big and bulky for my needs. Originally I wanted to build my own tall shell similar to a callen but the uhaul box was much easier to start with. After having it done for about 1yr. and camping with it 6-8 times I have found that I would like it to be a little bit more nimble and compact(for a full size truck) The only time I am in the camper is to sleep or change clothes.

Right now the box is off the truck going under the knife.

Here is a crude photoshop job on what I want.
BEFORE
DSCN0045-1.jpg

AFTER
DSCN0045photoshop.jpg

ChrisInVT

Adventurer
Cutting it down like that is going to be a HUGE chore because of the mom's attic and having to remove all the bolts to disassemble it.

By any chance, do you have any of the pieces left that you didn't use? I'm in need of some tail lights. :D

lstzephyr

wanderer
If it didn't have that window it would be easy. Just a couple cuts. As it is he will have to z cut it like chopping the top on a car. Not horrible but not simple either. I would shorten the rear first and see how you like it.

lstzephyr

wanderer
Wow not screwing around eh? Looks like you made a bunch of progress. I gotta admit the more I look at that sketch of it smaller the more I like it. I wasn't that into the big version but I might just have to copy version 2.

ChrisInVT

Adventurer
Looking good. I'm going to be peeling the vinyl wrap off my box this weekend (hopefully). I stole your idea with the roof insulation, I did that last weekend and it seems to have made a noticable difference in heat reduction. I haven't put a headliner up yet and I'm undecided if I'm going to. What did you do/are you going to do for lighting back there? I have my eye and four of these: http://www.oznium.com/tri-chip-led-tube

UHAULER

Explorer
Just got back from the scales.

The truck by itself,
3,360 front
2,320 rear

5,680# total

With box,bed and base.
3,325 front
3,720 rear

7,045# total

1,365# box,bed and base.

The fuel tanks were about 1/4 full both times it was weighed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy

Members online