Project "UHAULER"

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

I finally got back to checking out this post and man that's quite a kool setup you have built. One question: Does it seem top heavy? May consider a set of air bags out back. I love your bench/bed setup, nice work.

Pete Wilson

02TahoeMD

Explorer
The rig looks great, well done. Your idea came to fruition quite nicely. I think it would look cool with some kind of graphic decal on it, or maybe a large compass rose between the window and the end of the box....or just keep it white.

However, your next trip out with it you have to get some in the field shots. You know how pic oriented we are here.....

Good job, two thumbs up!

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Yeah. A shot with the rig parked by a shade tree with the bike out and riding gear hanging up, chairs out, beers and burgers on table.

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

I'm thinkin maybe he could buy another one and make it into a tricked out trailer for all of us and then complete the camper transformation. Haul the bike and gear in the trailer, course he might have to rename the thread: Uhaul Xtreme 2, LOL. Just kidding, still good work though, good thread.

Pete Wilson

UHAULER

Explorer
Thanks for the comments guys. I haven't done much to it in the last couple of weeks, just minor stuff not worthy of a picture. I want to use it now for a few trips to get the feel for what I want/need to do to it next.

Here is a list of future mods I would like to do.

*insulate and panel roof/ceiling
*20 gal. water tank with pump
*1-2 deep cycle batteries
*air compressor
*build cabinets/storage
*curtains
*inverter

I will post some pics of it being used in the near future.

UHAULER

Explorer
O.K. I took it out on another camping trip this weekend. My wife is not much into camping but I convinced her to come along. It worked good but there are a few things to address, first the air conditioning in the truck doesn't work and for long drives the hot turbulent air blowing around with the windows down gets old very fast. It wasn't so bad on the way out of town in the morning with the cool air but on the way home with a 2 hr. drive back into the Hot Sacramento valley it kind of sucked.
Next is the rear overhang of the camper, I didn't have any problems with clearance I just think I want to shorten it down to 8' to match the length of the truck bed. It would look more proportionate IMO. It would lighten it up a little bit but more importantly it would reduce the amount of bolts holding it to the truck allowing me to remove it easier should I want to use the truck for other things. I am also considering lowering the roof about 4". Originally I wanted to have about 6'4" headroom(i'm almost 6'3") but I've found that the only time I'm in the camper is to change clothes or to sleep. Overall the goal is to make it a little more compact.

DSCN0043.jpg

DSCN0045.jpg

DSCN0050.jpg

DSCN0055.jpg

spencyg

This Space For Rent
It seems as though maybe coming up with another rig instead of tearing your finished one apart might be a better course of action. The changes you propose (aside from fixing the A/C) are pretty drastic and with the truck as it currently stands you'd undoubtedly get your money back out of it, maybe even make a few bucks for your labor. If you're looking for something more compact, maybe a search for an older Toyota 4x4 is in order. Build a flat bed for it, then build a sweet camper box which is removable. I would strongly urge you to leave UHAULER alone and just sell it as-is.

Spence

Sport-Trac 01

Adventurer
I agree with spencyg, leave it alone. You'd be better off finding a new rig then tearing this one apart. It sounds like alot of work on an already completed truck. But, it is all up to you.

ScottBailey

Observer
I like fiddling with my camper, too. I think your rig is fine. Fix the AC and CAMP MORE before you make any painful changes. I think, based on what you said, I'd see what amenities would get the wife camping and add those.

SB

UHAULER

Explorer
Alright, I've had a few days to think about it and I've come to my senses. I'm going to have the air conditioning fixed and leave the box alone and use it more. After looking at shortening the box I realized it was WAY too much work. I think I just need to slow down and enjoy the trip and not compare the ride,speed, and handling to my 1/2 ton 2wd chevy silverado p/u, they are two different animals.

xped

Adventurer
Trust me don't lower the ceiling height. I have a 4x4 Transvan with a 5' ceiling, although it's more of an RV than your rig the bending down all the time get old and makes it feel cramped. My buddies Fuso with a 12' box which probably has a 7' ceiling is very spacious and comfortable. 4 adults can easily kick back in there. I have been tempted to get a simliar box and remove the back of the Transvan and replace it. Another friend has a 04 Ford diesel single cab he put a utility shell on which is about 5' tall and he now wishes he'd just bought a cab over. Good work I'd just enjoy it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy