Project "UHAULER"

zukrider

Explorer
Why? It only adds more weight and it's not like he will be hauling loads of block or anything.

it would have some benefit in the effect of insulation and sound deadener. also, it will provide slip resistance. and the weight wont be anything worth the mention.

my .02

P.S. i friggin love that camper. gives me ideas.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Congrats on making a plan come together. Looks like it works great.

Were you too ramped up to sleep that first night?
My first night camping in my 4x4 project van I couldn't sleep. It started pouring rain and I was snug as a bug in a rug, giggling like a giddy school girl.

UHAULER

Explorer
Freakin sweet man... glad its all working out...

Did you happen to note a mileage difference? I know you didnt drive it much... The IDI is a good motor...just not a power house....

Chase

I never checked the milage before I put the box on.

On that trip I drove 320 miles with about 30+ of those in first and second gear on fire roads and old logging roads and it averaged 15.5 mpg, not bad for a big box.

UHAULER

Explorer
Congrats on making a plan come together. Looks like it works great.

Were you too ramped up to sleep that first night?
My first night camping in my 4x4 project van I couldn't sleep. It started pouring rain and I was snug as a bug in a rug, giggling like a giddy school girl.

I actually slept very well, it was nice having a king size bed all to myself. It was so nice, my last camping trip I slept in a tent with no real padding.

chasespeed

Explorer
I never checked the milage before I put the box on.

On that trip I drove 320 miles with about 30+ of those in first and second gear on fire roads and old logging roads and it averaged 15.5 mpg, not bad for a big box.

Not too bad at all.... Trying to remember clearly what my old IDI got... it was around 18ish IIRC...

Glad it works out for ya... I was playing around.. both of my current bikes will fit in my cap... but, I doubt a dirt bike, or Dual Sport would fit...

Chase

UHAULER

Explorer
Tires, wheels,shocks

A little update.

Originally I wanted to run 315/75/16 tires, then I was going to run 255/85/16's. I bought a set of 16x7 factory alloy wheels for the 255's and then changed my mind and wanted to run either 295's or 315's. In the end the most practical size for me was the 295's. I went with Toyo AT 295/75/16. The factory 16x7 went back on craigslist and I found some used Mickey Thomson 16x8 rims. I also put on some KYB monomax shocks, a definite improvement in ride and control. It was apparent the front tires were going to rub so I pulled out the sawzall and trimmed the front bumper. Eventually I might build a front bumper and mount the Warn 8274 winch that has been sitting on the garage floor for 10 years.

P7100001.jpg

P7190001copy.jpg

P7190002copy.jpg

P7190003copy.jpg

P7190004copy.jpg

P7190005copy.jpg

UHAULER

Explorer
That wheel and tire combo looks great. Did you notice any loss of power? Do you know what your gear ratio is?

It has 4.10 gears. I have only driven it a little bit after I put on the tires and so far it seems good. 4.10's are a little low with 31" tires, these tires are 33" so it will help keep the rpm's down on the freeway.

UHAULER

Explorer
Update.

I got a few things done this week, new windshield and new headliner.

I also decided to paint it. In most of the earlier pictures I had experimented with a few different colors on the back of the box to see what I liked. Cappucino was the one that looked the best but the more test area I painted, the more it started to look to dark. Eventually I decided it would be easier to keep it boring white. This truck is not a mall cruiser and I just wanted it to be one color and look decent from 75 Ft. away so I wasn't going to spend a lot of time and money on a paint job just so I could go scratch it up.
I bought some RustOleum semi-gloss white oil based and tried it out on the back of the box, it looked good enough to me so I went back to the store and bought a few more Qts. I rolled it on and it worked out well, the orange peel texture worked to my advantage helping to hide the MANY imerfections of the box. It was kind of emberassing rolling it on in my driveway, I think a neighbor does some bodywork on the side in his garage, he was probably laughing his *ss off !! Oh well its done now. Time, the sun and dirt will take care of the rest to make it look more worn in.

P7190004copy.jpg

P7270002copy.jpg

P7270001copy.jpg

P7270003copy.jpg

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Nice job, love your project!

If you got enough of the rustoleum rolled on you can always color sand it and buff it out :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy