UHAULER

Explorer
P6210006copy.jpg

P6210013copy.jpg

P6210007copy.jpg

P6210014copy.jpg

jesusgatos

Explorer
Just read the whole thread and I can't stop asking myself, 'why did he keep the stock bed?'. So... Why did you keep the stock bed instead of just cutting wheelwells into the box wherever they would have needed to be.

By the way, I like these uhaul boxes. I just bought a 14ft uhaul truck last night from a guy in Boise, Idaho for $650. I'm going to start cutting it up tomorrow and then I'm hoping I'll be able to sell the truck for $650...

UHAULER

Explorer
Just read the whole thread and I can't stop asking myself, 'why did he keep the stock bed?'. So... Why did you keep the stock bed instead of just cutting wheelwells into the box wherever they would have needed to be.

By the way, I like these uhaul boxes. I just bought a 14ft uhaul truck last night from a guy in Boise, Idaho for $650. I'm going to start cutting it up tomorrow and then I'm hoping I'll be able to sell the truck for $650...

There were two main factors to consider when dealing with the box, my limited work area in a typical suburb with a sloped driveway just long enough to park the truck and no overhead crane on a flat surface to work and the benefits of the complete box on the truck. One of my main requirements I stated in an earlier post was to be able to stand up. The stock box was 5'11" and I am nearly 6'3". To put the complete box on the truck would have been a lot more work and I wasn't going to do that and have less headroom. My sq. ft. is basically the same minus a little from the double wall bed but thats about it.

MojaveGSA

Do you plan on adding any insulation and if so do those particular type of windows allow for various sidewall thickness differences. Your typical RV window is designed for 1 1/2 to 2-2 1/2 thick walls?

Loocking better all the time!!!

UHAULER

Explorer
Do you plan on adding any insulation and if so do those particular type of windows allow for various sidewall thickness differences. Your typical RV window is designed for 1 1/2 to 2-2 1/2 thick walls?

Loocking better all the time!!!

I'm only planning on insulating the roof.

Those are regular RV windows with the flange turned backwards,not ideal but it works OK.

jesusgatos

Explorer
Hah. I guess that's one way to cheat a little extra height out of a box, huh? Cool project. I got my uhaul box all stripped down yesterday, but I'm having a hell of a time removing the recessed phillips head bolts that attach the back lip of the box to the bumper. You can't access the backside without completely removing the bumper (major PITA). Did you remove your box, or did the salvage yard?

haven

Expedition Leader
Great build! Very functional approach.

Without much insulation (none in the walls, right?) the box
will get very hot under the Sacramento summer sun. What
sorts of vents are you planning to put in the roof?

Chip Haven

UHAULER

Explorer
Hah. I guess that's one way to cheat a little extra height out of a box, huh? Cool project. I got my uhaul box all stripped down yesterday, but I'm having a hell of a time removing the recessed phillips head bolts that attach the back lip of the box to the bumper. You can't access the backside without completely removing the bumper (major PITA). Did you remove your box, or did the salvage yard?

The salvage yard removed the box. I was there watching. The guy told me it would only take 20 minutes to remove the box. After driving 3 hours to get there I had to watch these guys take 2 hours to get the box off.

I know what you mean about the countersunk phillips screws, I ended up torching through them to remove some of the floor.

What are you putting your box on?

UHAULER

Explorer
Great build! Very functional approach.

Without much insulation (none in the walls, right?) the box
will get very hot under the Sacramento summer sun. What
sorts of vents are you planning to put in the roof?

Chip Haven

I will probably use regular RV type vents. With the big windows mounted up high and the big rear window it gets a good cross ventilation.

I don't plan on ever camping in the sacramento valley, I hate it. I want to be high up in the sierras, preferably parked in the shade.

UHAULER

Explorer
First outing

It's been over 5 months since I started this and now I finally took it out. I have only driven this thing about 200 miles total since I brought it home with the longest drive being 18 miles to work so I was a little nervous on it's first trip. It handled the trip better than I was expecting. My friend was following me up there on a twisty mounain road and commented on how it didn't sway much at all. I'm glad I took it out before I bought new tires to get a feel for the power and gearing. This thing is not like a cummins, it needs to be revved a little higher on the hills. It was a good first outing and now I can keep plugging away on the many other things that need to be done.

P7030004copy.jpg

P7030005copy.jpg

P7040006copy.jpg

P7040012copy.jpg

chasespeed

Explorer
Freakin sweet man... glad its all working out...

Did you happen to note a mileage difference? I know you didnt drive it much... The IDI is a good motor...just not a power house....

Chase

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy