Project "UHAULER"

UHAULER

Explorer
I scored these used windows at a local RV store today. The back window for the door is 36"x36" and I got 2- 30"x60" for the sides, all three for $ 200.

P3310001.jpg

P3310003.jpg

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Wow. Nice to see that I'm not the only one fixated on making goofey ideas come to life. Excellent project. You're gonna love the configuration of that box. The problem I see right away is that with so much potential and so many workable floor and shelving plans, how do you pick which way to go? (I'm seeing a flatscreen so you can watch Dust to Glory before bed.)

I went the midsized van route so I could do some easy 4x4 trails also, and of course had to build my own. Hopefuly will have a GasGas 450FSE mounted on back soon. Its all just a matter of where you want your rig to excel, and where you are willing to accept its compromises.

Maybe I missed this: Is there anything installed between the bed and box to help with vibration and or weatherproofing?

Awesome and exciting project!
smile_cheers.gif

Last edited:

UHAULER

Explorer

Maybe I missed this: Is there anything installed between the bed and box to help with vibration and or weatherproofing?

smile_cheers.gif

There is a 3" wide strip of campershell foam under the angle iron and the aluminum trim running down the sides hangs down about 1/4" to act as a drip rail.

UHAULER

Explorer
A little more progress this week on the box. I built the door frame and skinned the plywood with the frp.
P4100002.jpg

P4100003.jpg

P4100005.jpg

Today I hung the door. I have also thrown some paint on the rear to try and find a color I like, so far it is capuccino:coffee:

P4120002.jpg

UHAULER

Explorer
The guys at work were joking that I should put a reefer unit on the front and start selling steaks door to door or make it an ice cream truck.

P4120004.jpg

I went with a double dead bolt. I will add a latch to the inside and a handle on the outside later when I find something that catches my eye.

I am building this with only the rough master plan in my head, so far I have only sketched out a few things. Half the fun is looking at pics, looking at other rigs, and browsing hardware stores/ supply houses to get ideas for the next phase.

P4120005.jpg

I found this little detent ball at home depot to hold the door closed.

P4120006.jpg

Here is the nice, wide door opening.

P4120007.jpg

UHAULER

Explorer
The striker plate that came with the deadbolt is very thin so I made this one from 1/4x 1" flatbar. Here it is tacked in place.

P4120009.jpg

One of the things I will be working on soon is making the back corners blend in. I'm thinking that with some type of roll pan and one color of paint to mask all of the right angles it will start taking shape.

P4120010.jpg

UHAULER

Explorer
I installed the windows this weekend. It's starting to look more like a camper and less like a delivery truck.

P4200001.jpg

P4200002.jpg

P4200003.jpg

P4200004.jpg

KEENO

Adventurer
Standard Cab

UHAULER...

I've been watching this build since I was a Lurker... I dig the fact that it's based on a Standard Cab truck! Looks to have plenty of storage 'out back'...:wings:

KEENO:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy