Project: Waltzing Matilda

Jimmeh

Think'n with me dipstick!
Just curious if you know if he builds his own hinge for the swing out part or if he gets it from elsewhere and attaches it? I just got a welder and am thinking of building my own now.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
That bumper is AWESOME!! Just wondering if you could post some pics of the frame brackets though.

Sorry for the delay in response, I've been out using it. The bumper attaches to the frame in three different spots on each frame rail. The brackets are 1/4" steel. It even managed to stay fairly rigid (The action of the swing out) with two of the four upper mounting bolts only being finger tight, while the other two bolts were missing completely.

IMG_4551.jpg

IMG_4552.jpg

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Great looking outfit!!! Even if it is a Ford:safari-rig: Does the latch for your swing out unscrew and come clear off? That is the only way I can see that thing unlatching? I'd be tempted to put a cable/chain on it to keep it near the bumper? You never know if some joker would pull it off?

~Wes~

Wes,

Yes, the latch has a steel cable that attaches it to the swing out. Since the images posted were before powder coating, the cable was not yet attached.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Just curious if you know if he builds his own hinge for the swing out part or if he gets it from elsewhere and attaches it? I just got a welder and am thinking of building my own now.

I believe he does, but you'd have to confirm it with CBI. There's a list of high quality hinge suppliers a few pages back in this thread if you're looking for some. If I were building from scratch, I'd choose a bearing over a bushing.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
I've managed a few trips lately, covering the entire northern part of our state from west to east.

This is what happened in between Midas and Tuscarora. Not that you can tell by the picture, but there are seven plugs in that hole and yes, it's right through the tread block.

photo-6.jpg

This is what it looked like from the inside...

photo1-1.jpg

And this is the rock that made it's way through the tread block of the BFG KM2

photo2-1.jpg

I laughed when the tire guy said the hole was too big to legally patch. It held the 90 miles to Elko at a nice 45 psi just fine...

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
And one last non build picture. This was outside of Midas before being overtaken by the approaching storm. This is just a simple unedited iPhone shot, but I liked it.

photo1-2.jpg

98GP

Observer
I've managed a few trips lately, covering the entire northern part of our state from west to east.

This is what happened in between Midas and Tuscarora. Not that you can tell by the picture, but there are seven plugs in that hole and yes, it's right through the tread block.

This is what it looked like from the inside...

And this is the rock that made it's way through the tread block of the BFG KM2

I laughed when the tire guy said the hole was too big to legally patch. It held the 90 miles to Elko at a nice 45 psi just fine...

Why didnt you just swap in your spare??

How do you like the tires? (Other than the large hole in the one tire)

I just finished reading...Nice Rig.
Any more updates?

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer
That is a great truck you've got there!!! That rear bumper is one of the nicest (if not THE nicest) setup I have seen! Gorgeous welds and design!!!!

ttravis5446

Adventurer
I love this truck. I have been casually watching for a 6 spd 7.3 in good shape. Now I have some good motivation to look harder.

TAS

Thanks again guys. My truck is coming along, but no where near yours Jack.

I was pretty happy when I discovered the new dash panel insert. I can post up part numbers if people are interested.

Hi, I know this thread is kind of old, but I was hoping you still had the part number for the F-650 dash panel. I have a 2002 F-350 with the 6 speed and would love to mount the panel you mentioned. Did you ever get yours mounted? Was it difficult?

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Hi, I know this thread is kind of old, but I was hoping you still had the part number for the F-650 dash panel. I have a 2002 F-350 with the 6 speed and would love to mount the panel you mentioned. Did you ever get yours mounted? Was it difficult?

It is an old thread, but I'm still around. Just doing more exploring than site surfing. The panel is easy to install just be careful with the plastic clips. I can get the part number tomorrow for you.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
That is a great truck you've got there!!! That rear bumper is one of the nicest (if not THE nicest) setup I have seen! Gorgeous welds and design!!!!

Thanks, it gets a ton of use. Somewhere, I have I picture of just the bumper holding the back of the truck up as the bumper is sliding/grinding off the edge of a sand wash as I dropped down into the wash.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl