Project: Waltzing Matilda

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Your fabricator has done a really incredible:Wow1: job, and it seems that you have everything you need. This is one of the most well thought out designs that I have ever seen. Also, as everyone else has pointed out, the quality of the welds is unbelievable. The welds look like that are strands of rope or something. Excellent workmanship!:Wow1: now I am looking forward to seeing pics of you out in the bush with that rig!:)

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
That guy needs to find a new job (or I should be a welding inspector). They are nice but they don't look at all like TIG welds to me...

So are you going to coat it clear???

I agree, but it still makes for a good laugh. I'm undecided on clear or a semi gloss black. Clear would be cool and any cracks that may appear would show easier. Black would most likely match the front when I figure out what I'm doing up there. Black would also match the rocker panels when I coat them.

On the above topic of camper removal, I had an epiphany on my way home from ID. regarding rocker protection. I came up with a design in my head that would incorporate "Normal" rocker protection below the doors (Think Slee slider steps etc) and then taper to a single tube from the cab back to the fender flare. This should eliminate any problems with the camper jacks hitting the sliders. Think of an ugly "Harpoon."

Thoughts?

I ask as i am still drawing my f/r bumper set-up prior to fabbing and was curious what the "others" do in a removal scene. I was planning to use a 4x4labs spindle, but the anchor point on the top of the cbi set-up is nice. Thanks

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
I don't think you can go wrong with Luke's spindle. You can source a spring loaded locking pin from McMaster Carr to weld on the side of the spindle housing. They come in both T-handles or balls like the one I have. I've had one of Luke's bumpers before and his spindle is awesome.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Nice Jereme! FWIW: Clear PC would look great for a while but eventually the bumper's going to get nicked, etc. and touch up might be a PITA. Guy did the 3-coat powder coat on my front Slee and spressoFAB sliders and paying a little more for the 3-layer process has paid dividends in paint durability.

Not to beat a dead horse...but glad you didn't use the local guy :)

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Hey Dan, that's great advice about clear chipping. I started taking the bumper apart to drop off with Guy. I too am glad I made the trip, even though logistically speaking it was more involved.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
F-650 Lower Dash Panel

The stock F-250/F350 lower dash panel includes a cubby for small items, but it lacks a sufficient flat surface to mount items such as switches or a Ham radio. The Ford F-650's come with two different lower dash panels. These panels differ for the manual and automatic transmissions.

Below is a picture of the stock lower dash panel with the cubby space.
IMG_4293.jpg

Here is the new F-650 dash panel. It comes with the pictured holes pre drilled. From the factory, the top hole is for the air brake and the lower two holes are for gauges. I'm going to mount some switches (Compressor, lockers, etc.) on the upper portion and my Ham radio on the lower portion. This should provide a stock looking installation while hopefully allowing a good view of the mounted items.

IMG_4295.jpg

Another view of the flat surfaces.
IMG_4296.jpg

And for the guys with the slush box tranny's out there, here's a picture of the auto version (This picture was taken from the web).
DSCN2897.jpg

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Thanks again guys. My truck is coming along, but no where near yours Jack.

I was pretty happy when I discovered the new dash panel insert. I can post up part numbers if people are interested.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Very nice Bumper, well thought out. Can you give us a ballpark on the price?

Thank you for the compliments. Keep in mind mine was the prototype for full size trucks. Even though Steve has around 40 hours into it, the next one will most likely go faster. I'd say a good ballpark depending on options would be $1800-2200.00. I'd call Steve or Nathan @ CBI and they should be able to give you an accurate quote.

They do offer a few options that I didn't get like a highlift mount or a quick mount floor jack with a dirt skid chassis. I was trying to keep it un-cluttered with only the essentials.

Last edited:

xtremexj

Adventurer
That bumper is AWESOME!! Just wondering if you could post some pics of the frame brackets though. I'm about 90% done my bumper, but I'd like to see how beefy your brackets are. For the time being, I'm just going to use the factory brackets, seeing as Ford rates them for 500lbs tongue weight with 5000lbs trailer weight. I'll only have a tire on the swing-out for now so I'm not carrying nearly the weight you are. Thanks!!!

Wes

Observer
Great looking outfit!!! Even if it is a Ford:safari-rig: Does the latch for your swing out unscrew and come clear off? That is the only way I can see that thing unlatching? I'd be tempted to put a cable/chain on it to keep it near the bumper? You never know if some joker would pull it off?

~Wes~

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl