Project WAR WAG

Outback

Explorer
Thanks Guys! I will be gone for the next 3 months but should return sometime in October. I picked up my old Caravan Camper a few days ago and brought her home with me. I should have her installed soon after I return home.

406expo

Adventurer
we have an m1009 and we just love these old surplus trucks, so much fun! your truck looks real nice. IMG_0767.jpg this was before I mounted our warn 12k 24 volt winch and the next photo is after I switched out the fuel filter set up to a racor spin on with self priming pump in the head. Still need to install the in bowl heater as it gets cold here but very nice upgrade if you ever start to see any problems with yours. IMG_0658.jpg As the old 6.2's are kinda loud my wife and I figured a little sound dead material would be helpful, it was GREAT. IMG_0657.jpg We also hated the rear bumper that came stock on ours so we found one from a truck like yours so much more practical in design. I really like your rig and it makes me want to buy a 1028 or 1008 to work on and build. IMG_0804.jpg

Outback

Explorer
That's a very nice Blazer! Yes they are a "bit" louder inside than a standard Chevy as the Military saw NO NEED for sound insulation. I too will be adding some sound deadening material to the Old Girl. I cant wait to finish her up.

Outback

Explorer
WARWAG 068.jpgWARWAG 069.jpg

Ive been pretty busy at work and my time on my build has been limited as has my time home. BUT I finally returned home and had my front axle gone through. All of the bearings, seals and U-Joints replaced. I upgraded to Chromolly 35 spline stub axles from Yukon. I also changed out to Yukon Chromolly 35 spline selectable hubs. Even the King Pins have been replaced as well as there bearings ect.. Here are a few pics.

Last edited:

Outback

Explorer
So the front end is done. Now on to the back. Not the axle but the rear winch mount. I started my winch build by measuring everything out then started wrenching. I removed the rear Pintle mount and the frame supports. Those were right where the winch needs to go. I hope to finish cutting up my winch mount to fit in the location and mock up the fairlead. Then back to work until November 1st. I will have plenty of time off to finish the mount when I get home.

Rear winch build 003.jpg

Rear winch build 002.jpg
Location of Roller Fairlead

The winch will be behind the bumper with the Fairlead mounted where the license plate usually goes.

Last edited:

Outback

Explorer
I droped off my templates yesterday and was informed it would take 1 to 2 weeks for them to cut out all of the parts on a water jet. Not exactly what I was hoping for but none the less it is what it is.

While those are being fabbed its on to my next planned project for the rig. I have an older Caravan Camper Shell I had taken off of the truck I bought for my son years ago. Its for a diffrent year Chevy truck but feel I can make her work. I will drive up to Nevada later on next week to pick her up if time permits. Its about a 10 hour drive each way but will be worth the effort as I will be closer to my finished Expedition Rig, if you can trully ever call them finished.

View attachment 152465

On a side note. That vender I dropped my winch mount templates off with Never cashed my check or even called me until today 7 months later! They lost me templates and my design plans. They are sending my check back. They didn't loose that of course......... Lesson learned. NEVER leave your original plans or templates with a fabricator. Make duplicates and give them one of those. After I finish the rear winch mount I will revisit the front winch mount idea. I will use a Warn 10K up front as that is the biggest winch I can fit.

Last edited:

Outback

Explorer
Mock up of where the fairlead will mount to the bumper. After I fill in the current cut outs.

Attachments

• warwag fairlead 005.jpg
    warwag fairlead 005.jpg
    518.1 KB · Views: 38

Outback

Explorer
Im just about home with my older Caravan Camper Shell. I think I will put her on for now and see how it looks.

Outback

Explorer
I was finally able to get my Caravan Camper Shell put on my truck. Looks right at home on her. I will get some better pictures tomorrow. I need to adapt the shell to this truck as it was built for a newer Chevy. I think it was on a 92 or 93. Anyway this will be her new home.

PICS 014.jpgPICS 015.jpgPICS 013.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven