Project Yotahome (84 single cab custom camper)

As of right now I am planning to use some poly body mounts to hold the camper to the frame. I am not sure if it will be too stiff or not. My only concern is that if it is too stiff, it will stress the welds on the camper frame over time.

Have you seen how Earthromer mounts their camper bodies? They use a single pivot in the rear to help with flex.

There's a thread right here on ExPo about mounting with a single pivot. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/25494-pivoting-frames-and-mounting-campers

ryanmachus

I dig it.

You may want to use some panel bond http://www.semproducts.com/repair-adhesives/dual-mixtm-multi-purpose-panel-adhesive between the skin and the frame work just to keep it tight. It will also minimize the possible drone or rattle you may get.

What gauge aluminum are you using to skin it?

Would that panel bond be any different from 3m 5200 marine adhesive? From what I've read, it is pretty bulletproof.

Skinning everything in .063 except for the roof and the inner floor, which will be 1/8th

It's absolutely different from panel adhesive. The sealant is flexible while the panel adhesive is not. I would think panel adhesive would be more effective in the structure as it would basically make a monocoque out of your structure. No flex in the structure plus a flexible mounting system, like the system Earthromer uses, would probably give you the best ride and overall lifespan. I might even goes as far as using a stainless rivet so they don't shear or wear out from flex.

3M also makes a panel bonding adhesive.

I may be totally wrong, but that is the route I would take.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I had nearly 1000 sealed aluminum rivets in this custom trailer (tube frame with 0.080" Aluminum sides) and have never had a single issue with them. This is its 7th year in service and it's been towed all over the west for games. The trailer was also in a serious accident...hit a ditch at 50 mph...and it survived with only minor body damage. No need to go to stainless rivets in my opinion. They're harder to work with, hard to remove if you need to make repairs and more expensive...not to mention the dissimilar metals/corrosion thing. We did all of the aluminum rivets with a harbor freight pneumatic rivet gun.

Here's a good tip for this kind of construction... If you don't have them already, get yourself a big box of Clecos. They're worth their weight in gold for setting panels like these. Especially if you're using a sealant or adhesive of any kind.

tailgating_trailer_top.png

F56470.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL