Quadrasteer Worked So Great for Chevy, Right? Now Maybe It’s the F250’s Turn

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Ford finally has a new patent that describes a much anticipated four-wheel steering system for its F-Series trucks. This idea was so wildly popular with the GMC/Chevy trucks 20 years ago, that it’s sure to be a super big hit with new Fords too (if it’s ever actually adopted). (Sarcasm)

So, hold on a minute......it still looks like we’re going to have to wait a while to see if this four wheel steering will ever actually find its way into the build of any of the Ford trucks, because there’s been no slick marketing announcements yet that this technology will be appearing in any of next year’s models. Maybe this is “much adieu about nada” (to badly mix up languages a bit).

If it did show up soon on the new trucks though, this might actually be a really great addition for enhanced very low speed, off paved road maneuverability (for example, see the Rivian Electric Truck tank turn discussion here on the forum). Or maybe it’ll be mostly used just for parking ease for city slickers trying to parallel park their 21’ long, $70,000, crew cab, long bed, 4x4 Montana Cadillacs?

At any rate, if you ever get the chance to own one of these Ford 4 wheel steerers, you‘ll be happy to note that you’ll be in a very exclusive class of chi chi owner that includes owners of Porsche's 911, Lamborghini's Huracan Evo and Aventador SVJ, Bentley's Continental GT and Flying Spur, and Bugatti's Chiron! Cheers Mate ? That’s a sad, far cry away from the traditional PBR/PBR truck drivin crowd.

So, back to business......According to theDrive.com (link below), the new design consists “of a new electronic steering system mounted on the rear axle’s differential cover, which then actuates an extra set of tie rods and transfer links to control the degree to which the rear wheels can turn.” This may present a bit of a ground clearance issue though...we’ll have to see.

One cool feature.....The patented four-wheel steering design “incorporates Ackerman steering geometry....(which) allows the inside and outside wheels to trace different paths and thereby reduces tire scrub and wear.” (Who’s Ackerman, and what’s he got against tire scubbing anyway ?)

Here’s a sneak peek of the some of the schematics:

2ACFEB99-B30B-4EFB-B20B-A6B9EB3BBA80.jpeg

(For you engineering types, there are more illustrations on the mechanics at the Patent Swarm link)
>also:
*https://www.thedrive.com/news/31711/ford-patents-f-series-four-wheel-steering-report

Last edited:

luthj

Engineer In Residence
IIRC quadrasteer wasn't all the popular with GM trucks?

With almost 170" wheelbases, I guess it gets hard to park the mega trucks.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
As trucks keep ballooning it is going to have to come back so people can park their crap.

Its been used on industrial/ag stuff for decades.
Ballooning? The real challenge with ballooning may be, with so many of us getting so much fatter these days, the newer truck designs will need to include lots of extra width.....more than extra length.

Last edited:

spectre6000

Observer
Rear steering made the rounds in the early 90s (maybe/probably earlier, but the first mass market application I can think of is the Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4), and pops up every now and then. A few years ago, Bosch brought out a modular rear steer setup. I don't recall the specifics, but I think it was designed to work with another subsystem (obviously on the rear axle) that was already widely adopted and in use. That's why it's on all of those high end German made/engineered makes mentioned in the OP. Between that and electric steering becoming the norm, it'll probably stick this time as it trickles down.

shade

Honda was the first with it on a production car (1987).

I wouldn't want it on my truck, but I also don't want a giant truck.
Combined with modern stability systems, it should improve the handling of large trucks on autocross courses ... why do we need this?

D

Deleted member 9101

I'd love to have it on my truck! As someone who spends most of his time jn a city/urban environment it would be really nice in parking garages and other tight spots.

D

Deleted member 9101

I wouldn't want it on my truck, but I also don't want a giant truck.
Combined with modern stability systems, it should improve the handling of large trucks on autocross courses ... why do we need this?

Drive a four door fullsize truck in down town Miami.... You'll definitely see how handy it could be.

CampStewart

Observer
As someone with a great deal of seat time in rough terrain forklifts that have 4 wheel steering in 2 different modes I think that it would be a huge benefit to trucks with seemingly ever expanding wheelbases or even Jeep type vehicles that drive tight trails and obstacles. I look forward amusingly to those unfamiliar with driving rigs with 4 wheel steering telling me why it is a bad idea

shade

Drive a four door fullsize truck in down town Miami.... You'll definitely see how handy it could be.
As someone with a great deal of seat time in rough terrain forklifts that have 4 wheel steering in 2 different modes I think that it would be a huge benefit to trucks with seemingly ever expanding wheelbases or even Jeep type vehicles that drive tight trails and obstacles. I look forward amusingly to those unfamiliar with driving rigs with 4 wheel steering telling me why it is a bad idea
Don't get me wrong. I've driven plenty of big things in my life, and I know that it can be tough in tight spots, especially with pressure from traffic.

I'm fine with 4WS coming to pickups, but I think you'll agree that the majority of people popping for this option won't be fleet managers with employees in the trades trying to fit their plumbing truck into a parking space. It'll be on pretty-pretty trucks with every other option, because the owners want to say their truck has everything. Also, OEMs will probably reserve 4WS for high trim levels, like they almost always do with new tech.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

Also, OEMs will probably reserve 4WS for high trim levels, like the almost always do with new tech.

Ford will probably say XLT and up..unless you have a fleet....then you can have what ever you want. Similar to how they rolled out the baby Power Stroke.

D

Deleted member 9101

Id even go as far to say Lariat and up.

Never an issue parking/maneuvering my CCLB F350 in city. Ill take a hard pass on the 4WS.

Some of us get tired of three point turns just to get to a parking space...haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat