QuadsBC's 05 Double Cab Tundra Family Expo Build

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
I'm eager to trim up my bedsides, because I know it will look 100x better with a custom bumper than the stock bumper and tow package combo.
I can't really tell from the pic but did you trim at a slight angle up and back? Or is the cut just horizontal.

QuadsBC

Adventurer
The cut is parallel to the topper. Just looks goofy there is a slight incline into the welding shop. I'll take a picture later.

QuadsBC

Adventurer
Broke out the plasma torch tonight, first time using it in 6-7 months.

Used it to cut out the beginning of the bed side protection.

And crappy picture

MaineFarmer

Observer
Looking really good! It always has amazed me how much steel can move around when heated! I'm always fighting heat while welding.
I like where you are heading as far as rear clearance goes. The spindle for my swing out is 4" tall on the base. So that's my limiting factor.
Can't wait to see your design. I like the way you mounted the recovery points, makes a ton of sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tyv12

Adventurer
Nice, when I did my rear bumper my hitch ended up 13" higher than stock its nice having it tucked up high

QuadsBC

Adventurer
It is surprising even when you think it's cool enough to lay the next bead. I've been using compressed air to cool the steel quicker. If you put water on it you risk creating micro cracks in your weld. Tomorrow should be a pretty big update. I've got all day to fab. Today I drilled 1-5/8 inch hole for the swing out nut to sit recessed into the bumper. Got the swing out welded to the bumper, just a single pass for now. I'll do two more passes to be sure it's strong enough. I also took some more off the sides, I want it to be closer to the body. I also shaped the side protection. I think it needs a little more work to match the body lines.

That exhaust looks horrendous. Lol

QuadsBC

Adventurer
I'm exhausted. Worked from 830-1100 on the bumper and roof rack support. Just when I thought I was close to finished I put it on the truck and I hated it. Spent another 2 hrs cutting it down to something I liked.

Finial things to complete on the bumper portion:
Add bracing to the lower bed side protection
Weld on swing out latch
Paint

MaineFarmer

Observer
Looking nice. Are you concerned about the pivot bending? Looks like that's a different style than I used.
I do like the bedside protection!! Looks clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater