QuadsBC's 05 Double Cab Tundra Family Expo Build

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
I'd think that higher elevation would mean better gas mileage... less atmospheric pressure so less gas is added to the mix, right?

thethePete

Explorer
And you want to replace the upstream. Downstream is only there to make sure your cat is working, upstream is the one that dictates your air/fuel ratio.

thefatkid

Observer
I'd think that higher elevation would mean better gas mileage... less atmospheric pressure so less gas is added to the mix, right?

I didn't notice too much difference in other vehicles. I have only had the Tundra a month and it has not left the Denver Metro area yet. My 1996 4runner mileage didn't change on trips to Kansas, Utah, New Mexico or Arizona.

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
I didn't notice too much difference in other vehicles. I have only had the Tundra a month and it has not left the Denver Metro area yet. My 1996 4runner mileage didn't change on trips to Kansas, Utah, New Mexico or Arizona.

This is unrelated to your post but just saw you have 255/85r16 Maxx. Flyer69 on here was looking for pics of that tire size on a Tundra. Just crossed my mind when I saw your sig.

thethePete

Explorer
Not better mileage, the air density is lower, so you actually end up with less power. That's why turbocharged vehicles rule Pikes Peak. Your engine is an air pump, so still moves the same volume of air, it's just less dense. Same fuel, less power... That's the short answer.

nocensorbo

Observer
Well, this thread made me want a DC FGT. But also made me realize how little to none ( i mean none) fab skills i have. Looks great

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Replaced both my upstream a/f sensor last year and didn't notice any better mpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

QuadsBC

Adventurer
All fuel mpg is done by the math compensating for tire size difference. Elevation is normally under 1000ft. If I use cruise control my mileage decreases. I don't normally use cruise control.

Adventurous

Explorer
Not better mileage, the air density is lower, so you actually end up with less power. That's why turbocharged vehicles rule Pikes Peak. Your engine is an air pump, so still moves the same volume of air, it's just less dense. Same fuel, less power... That's the short answer.

Yeppers. I second that. My old Ford Escape had significantly less power here in Denver than it did when I lived back near Boston. It got even more anemic in the hills and required a bit right foot to get around.

QuadsBC

Adventurer
Little disappointed in myself for taking so long to get up there. From what you read online everyone makes it sound like you enter there is a solid chance you won't return. In reality it wasn't like that at all. I purchased the app Gaia before going and that really helped with the navigation. We didn't waste as much time on dead end logging tracks. We did explore some that were dead ends although the map showed a through road. Gaia's aerial view is about 5 years old from what I can tell. I can't wait to get back up there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater