QuadsBC's 05 Double Cab Tundra Family Expo Build

IS-RIDER

Observer
Nice! Would like to check out the trains some day. We are heading up to my brothers laws camp in Wellington ME next weekend, and have a week or so to do some exploring in VT next month. I'm thinking that the Gaia app would be very handy. May have to fork over the 20 bucks for it. How are you liking the tundra?

Ride it like you stole it!

marathonracer

Adventurer
Its not the black hole everyone makes it out to be. Common sense, preparation, and respect for the wilderness and you are all set. I worked in the NMW for several years and a lot of people who went in with p-rated tires, 1 spare they had never taken down, no extra gas, and a cell phone thinking they could just call for help.

In the winter people will get in beyond the gate pull over for the first log truck to pass and get stuck right there not realizing the gradder has used its blade to wing the snow flat over the ditch.

QuadsBC

Adventurer
Nice! Would like to check out the trains some day. We are heading up to my brothers laws camp in Wellington ME next weekend, and have a week or so to do some exploring in VT next month. I'm thinking that the Gaia app would be very handy. May have to fork over the 20 bucks for it. How are you liking the tundra?

Ride it like you stole it!

It's a pretty handy app, I feel like it paid for itself just this past weekend. I was able to map my route and plan a new route back all with out any cell service. I paired it with a dual electronics xgps150a universal external gps which worked flawlessly. Even hiking through the thick woods it never lost signal. It's Bluetooth so you can keep your phone in its case unlike the bad elf gps. The only downside is, it uses Bluetooth which uses your phone battery a little quicker. It's still worth it in my opinion.

As for the tundra, I like it for a big rig. The v8 is a nice upgrade in power over the 3.4, the captains chair front seats feel like your sitting on a couch, tons of bed room and even in some thick mud she pulled through. The only thing that bothers the **** out of me is how much frame flex Toyota decided was acceptable. The bed will wiggle 1/2" left and right over normal bumps. If I ever get the time I'd like to fully box the frame in.

QuadsBC

Adventurer
Its not the black hole everyone makes it out to be. Common sense, preparation, and respect for the wilderness and you are all set. I worked in the NMW for several years and a lot of people who went in with p-rated tires, 1 spare they had never taken down, no extra gas, and a cell phone thinking they could just call for help.

In the winter people will get in beyond the gate pull over for the first log truck to pass and get stuck right there not realizing the gradder has used its blade to wing the snow flat over the ditch.

Knowing what I know now, I hope it keeps the black hole reputation. The less people up there the better. Have any great camp sites or other things to see up there you'd be willing to share either open forum or via pm?

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
It's a pretty handy app, I feel like it paid for itself just this past weekend. I was able to map my route and plan a new route back all with out any cell service. I paired it with a dual electronics xgps150a universal external gps which worked flawlessly. Even hiking through the thick woods it never lost signal. It's Bluetooth so you can keep your phone in its case unlike the bad elf gps. The only downside is, it uses Bluetooth which uses your phone battery a little quicker. It's still worth it in my opinion.

As for the tundra, I like it for a big rig. The v8 is a nice upgrade in power over the 3.4, the captains chair front seats feel like your sitting on a couch, tons of bed room and even in some thick mud she pulled through. The only thing that bothers the **** out of me is how much frame flex Toyota decided was acceptable. The bed will wiggle 1/2" left and right over normal bumps. If I ever get the time I'd like to fully box the frame in.

I use Backcountry Navigator for Android, very similar to Gaia if anyone is looking for an alternative.

Funny you mention the frame flex thing. I actually thought I was observing the same thing on my T100 after I put my topper, rack, and tent on. What I ended up realizing is that the cab itself was moving because it is on rubber mounts, so it looked like the bed was moving. I only noticed the flex when I was in the cab driving. What made me think it was the cab and not the frame was when I would slam one of the doors I could see the cab move in relation to the frame.
I hit the cab bolts with 45 lb/ft and it really helped to cut down on the observable "cab flex". I'm not saying that Toyota maybe didn't cheap out on the DC Tundra frame but it might be a combination of some frame flex and some cab flex.

QuadsBC

Adventurer
Interesting, I'll 2x check the cab mount bolts. After 11 years there probably is a good chance some of the rubber on the cab mounts has shrunk.

QuadsBC

Adventurer
Swing out mostly complete. Waiting for the latch, planning on adding a tire brace on the bottom to reduce vibration and I'll be adding some more support to the hinge bracket. While shut there isn't much movement, open it moves. Not too much but more than I'm happy with. I should have time Sunday to correct it. Maybe start chopping up the sliders depending on how ambitious I'm feeling.

character zero

dangerfoot
Swing out mostly complete. Waiting for the latch, planning on adding a tire brace on the bottom to reduce vibration and I'll be adding some more support to the hinge bracket. While shut there isn't much movement, open it moves. Not too much but more than I'm happy with. I should have time Sunday to correct it. Maybe start chopping up the sliders depending on how ambitious I'm feeling.

That is so clean, I love what you have done with this truck.

QuadsBC

Adventurer
Finally had a chance to organize the back. It's almost complete.

Left side will either be recovery gear or water jug until I purchase a tank and pump for on board water. Behind the refrigerator will be for the water tank, up to 30 gallons. I'll probably only run 16 gallon tank for weight concerns. The table is removable for cooking and if I'm traveling light I can use it as a sleeping platform.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater